2Likes
  • 2 Post By Espo77

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sudden Surge in volume

I am sitting there watching my home theater (Pioneer SC-1227) every once in a while I hear some crackles in my speakers ( I assume is static build up) but then (this has happened about 4-5 times) it surges loud and powers off. So loud and so sudden we jump out of our seats. It is truly unbelievable.

It is a newly renovated basement, we are in an arid climate and it is plugged into a surge protector.

Suggestions? Tips? Help?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrgraham View Post
I am sitting there watching my home theater (Pioneer SC-1227) every once in a while I hear some crackles in my speakers ( I assume is static build up) but then (this has happened about 4-5 times) it surges loud and powers off. So loud and so sudden we jump out of our seats. It is truly unbelievable.

It is a newly renovated basement, we are in an arid climate and it is plugged into a surge protector.

Suggestions? Tips? Help?

Chris
That happened to me a while ago. It was like you are helplessly captive by your own equipment. The volume increases until you don't know what to do, so you panic. Look for the on/off button, and then it's all over in a flash.

AMIRITE?

I don't know what happens to trigger the anomaly, but it's scary as hell the first time it happens. I believe it has to do with a remote control code that gets intercepted by your equipment by mistake, but I don't know for sure what happens. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone pal, it's happened to me too! Good luck if it happens again. Try to have the on/off button or be able to pull a power cord out of an outlet or something along those lines.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrgraham View Post

Suggestions? Tips? Help?

Chris
Plenty of open air space all around the unit?
No loose or frayed wires?
What kind of surge protector? What do you have plugged into it?
Possibly overloading the surge protector?
Plug the receiver directly into the wall receptacle.
Literally unplug everything and start reconnecting one at a time.
Go into the receiver menu and set the maximum volume to a lower number. Do you already have this set?
Find instructions for doing a factory reset.
ChromeJob and Madmax67 like this.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 640
If U have a light dimmer nearby..
Used to happen frequently with plasma displays...
A spike can cause the volume to take off..

Just my $0.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors