Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Receiver recommendation for B&W setup

Roughly 10 years ago (pre-kids!), my wife and I purchased the following:

(2) B&W 686 front bookshelf
(2) B&W M1 rears
B&W HTM62 center
Velodyne CHT10 sub

We coupled them with what I thought at the time was a fairly good Sony DA2ES as it was part of their Elite line. Over these many years, the speakers simply haven't performed that well, but I'm fairly certain it is a factor of receiver, NOT speakers. Finally around to doing a bit of upgrading, but I really believe the speakers have plenty of potential. However, I still can't afford to purchase a mega $ receiver. Has anyone successfully paired a "extreme lower end of the upper tier" receiver that is actually capable of making these beasts sound decent? Hoping to keep budget within $600 or less, but that severely limits choices. Big Box store is pushing Yamaha Aventage model over Pioneer, Denon, and Sony rough equivalents. Any tips, or do I simply have too much speaker for my anticipated budget?

Thanks in advance!

~Vol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I think you need a quality amp by Emotiva or Outlaw. Does your receiver have pre-outs?

There’s also the fact that in 10 years it’s likely your hearing has changed. Grab a pair of new B&W’s from Best Buy to demo for 14 days and see how it is. If it still sounds crappy then maybe it’s the receiver. Won’t know until you actually have something to compare it to.
post #3 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I think you need a quality amp by Emotiva or Outlaw.
Really? The B&W 686's are their smallest entry level bookshelf speakers. The M1's are a
Satellite speaker. I seriously doubt that an Emotiva/Outlaw power amp is going to make
Any real difference.

I am inclined to think a new AVR with a good room EQ system would probably be more
Beneficial.

My opinion...

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Receiver recommendation for B&W setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Really? The B&W 686's are their smallest entry level bookshelf speakers. The M1's are a

Satellite speaker. I seriously doubt that an Emotiva/Outlaw power amp is going to make

Any real difference.

I am inclined to think a new AVR with a good room EQ system would probably be more

Beneficial.

My opinion...

I meant for the fronts. I could care less about the surrounds which do almost nothing for a surround system output wise. You could place some Bose cubes behind you as surrounds and most wouldn’t complain.

Also, if the receiver is sounding like crap, do you think it’s the processing or amp section?
post #5 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
I meant for the fronts. I could care less about the surrounds which do almost nothing for a surround system output wise. You could place some Bose cubes behind you as surrounds and most wouldn’t complain.

Also, if the receiver is sounding like crap, do you think it’s the processing or amp section?
I had the 686's a while back, not a very power hungry speaker (only a 5 inch woofer).
Pretty nice speakers for what they are.

My thoughts are it would be a good idea to upgrade/change his 10 year old AVR.
Lot of things have changed with AVR's in the last 10 years...for the better.

I had a Sony avr years ago and wasn't impressed with its claime 100wpc power supply.
Kept shutting down on me at beer drinking levels.. Replaced it with a
Harman Kardon AVR at 60wpc...very large improvement, couldn't get the volume
Past 50%...too loud and clean. The HK is still kicking butt in the garage 20
Years later.
RKSKYDANCER likes this.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #6 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
I had the 686's a while back, not a very power hungry speaker (only a 5 inch woofer).

Pretty nice speakers for what they are.

My thoughts are it would be a good idea to upgrade/change his 10 year old AVR.

Lot of things have changed with AVR's in the last 10 years...for the better.

I had a Sony avr years ago and wasn't impressed with its claime 100wpc power supply.

Kept shutting down on me at beer drinking levels.. Replaced it with a

Harman Kardon AVR at 60wpc...very large improvement, couldn't get the volume

Past 50%...too loud and clean. The HK is still kicking butt in the garage 20

Years later.

I wonder if it’s actually the B&W’s that aged, not the receiver.

I see what you mean, but my thoughts were that he doesn’t need more watts but better watts as your HK shows vs your Sony. Hence the Outlaw/Emotiva amps. I was thinking something like a A-300. Ive had the same experience as you with with my two Onkyo’s. My older one is rated 60 watts but easily gets louder than my new one which is 100 watts.

Funny thing is that the difference between our two different amps is supposedly 3dB :P
post #7 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 202
If you just want better sound and don't need any of the features of a new receiver, I think I would replace the front speakers. Those 686 are pretty small speakers. I'd consider a set of Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 at $600/pair, which would be far superior.

http://elac-content.s3.amazonaws.co...F5.2_02.18.pdf

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Surrounds do nothing? where have i heard that before??? Might have been true 15 years ago! With today's surround sound codecs, all 5,7 or more channels are very important for a proper sounding immersive experience. I wonder why so many people on here don't like there systems!

I would 2nd that buying a new up to date receiver would be the place to start. The Denon AVR-X3400H or newer 3500H, Onkyo RZ630 or TX-NR787 or Yamaha TSR-7850 at Costco is a decent up to date AVR. There are deals to be had on all of these so they shouldn't cost you over $600.00.

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65X900E 4K TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
post #9 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
Surrounds do nothing? where have i heard that before??? Might have been true 15 years ago! With today's surround sound codecs, all 5,7 or more channels are very important for a proper sounding immersive experience. I wonder why so many people on here don't like there systems!

I would 2nd that buying a new up to date receiver would be the place to start. The Denon AVR-X3400H or newer 3500H, Onkyo RZ630 or TX-NR787 or Yamaha TSR-7850 at Costco is a decent up to date AVR. There are deals to be had on all of these so they shouldn't cost you over $600.00.

Well if you compare surrounds to the output that the LCR does, I would say yes it’s pretty much nothing. Not to mention they take pretty much zero wattage because they don’t output nearly as much as I said before. So it’s a waste to power them with an external amp if the receiver can do it with ease.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol4Ever View Post

(2) B&W M1 rears
B&W HTM62 center
Velodyne CHT10 sub

We coupled them with what I thought at the time was a fairly good Sony DA2ES as it was part of their Elite line. Over these many years, the speakers simply haven't performed that well, but I'm fairly certain it is a factor of receiver, NOT speakers. Finally around to doing a bit of upgrading, but I really believe the speakers have plenty of potential. However, I still can't afford to purchase a mega $ receiver. Has anyone successfully paired a "extreme lower end of the upper tier" receiver that is actually capable of making these beasts sound decent? Hoping to keep budget within $600 or less, but that severely limits choices. Big Box store is pushing Yamaha Aventage model over Pioneer, Denon, and Sony rough equivalents. Any tips, or do I simply have too much speaker for my anticipated budget?

Thanks in advance!

~Vol
The electronics driving the speakers has the least affect on the sound. If you're not using some weird DSP the speakers are going to sound pretty much the same no matter what AVR you use. I just don't think you like how the B&W speakers sound.

Invest in different speakers before changing out the electronics.
Lp85253 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #11 of 36 Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Quote:

(2) B&W M1 rears
B&W HTM62 center
Velodyne CHT10 sub

Thanks in advance!

~Vol
A better AVR with better processing, heftier power supplies, much better DSP compared to 10 years ago and room EQ like audyssey XT32 would be a nice upgrade. If you still feel your system doesn't cut it, you may want to consider upgrading your speakers. The room itself and/or speaker placement could also be a factor.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX...N-Command.html

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not to hijack the thread with an inverse question, but I have some B&W 685s with an HTM61 (or 62, can't remember... the smaller one) that I love. They are currently powered by a Marantz 8002, which has been stellar, but which I am thinking of replacing due to lack of 4K support, and because I am interested in getting some wireless surrounds (though I might try a wireless kit first). Any thoughts on how a receiver like the Yamaha 7850 would sound compared to the ~10 year old Marantz?
post #13 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just now at a point where I can read through all the replies, and there is some great stuff to chew on. I paid quite a bit of money (well, for me) for the B&W's back in the day, so I'm going to try to stick with those for now. My little brain just has to believe that a 2019 grade AVR versus one from 10+ years ago has to make a difference. That's actually another huge reason for the upgrade as my existing Sony was even pre-HDMI. And I also agree with the posters looking at QUALITY watts as opposed to QUANTITY watts.

Based on additional reading on my own, Denon and Yamaha are the current front runners in terms of manufacturer, and several of the comments above mirrored that. Probably get mercilessly flamed, but most likely going to go big box for the purchase. I actually met a guy in the Magnolia area of local BB that really seems to know his stuff, and has been extremely patient even though I haven't bought squat yet. That plus no pressure earns my business.

Appreciate everyone chiming in, and keep comments coming. I'm slower to respond, but I promise to read them all!

~Vol
post #14 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just now at a point where I can read through all the replies, and there is some great stuff to chew on. I paid quite a bit of money (well, for me) for the B&W's back in the day, so I'm going to try to stick with those for now. My little brain just has to believe that a 2019 grade AVR versus one from 10+ years ago has to make a difference. That's actually another huge reason for the upgrade as my existing Sony was even pre-HDMI. And I also agree with the posters looking at QUALITY watts as opposed to QUANTITY watts.

Based on additional reading on my own, Denon and Yamaha are the current front runners in terms of manufacturer, and several of the comments above mirrored that. Probably get mercilessly flamed, but most likely going to go big box for the purchase. I actually met a guy in the Magnolia area of local BB that really seems to know his stuff, and has been extremely patient even though I haven't bought squat yet. That plus no pressure earns my business.

Appreciate everyone chiming in, and keep comments coming. I'm slower to respond, but I promise to read them all!

~Vol

Before you purchase, at least make sure you can price match. The Denon X3400 is $600 off Crutchfield so make sure it’s at least close to that price.
post #15 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
make sure it’s at least close to that price.
No doubt about that. Once I narrow down to actual selections, I typically look at BB, Costco, Crutchfield, and Amazon. I don't mind if a brick & mortar doesn't price match to the penny, especially if they've given me some extra assistance, but it still needs to at least be in same general ballpark.
post #16 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Before you purchase, at least make sure you can price match. The Denon X3400 is $600 off Crutchfield so make sure it’s at least close to that price.
Everyone seams to keep pointing to the Denon X3400H on these threads as the go to receiver? I will sell you one for $400.00. It's 8 months old. I like my Pioneer better!

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65X900E 4K TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
post #17 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Everyone seams to keep pointing to the Denon X3400H on these threads as the go to receiver? I will sell you one for $400.00. It's 8 months old. I like my Pioneer better!

Audessey XT32 is a killer
post #18 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well this is interesting. Stopped by store on way home looking at some of the items we've been talking about. Came across something that may cause me to put surround in different room from B&W but need quick opinion (again). Definitive Technology pre packaged Pro Cinema 600 with all 5.1.BB shelf is $800 but Amazon has on closeout for $450. My good sales friend checked his database and confirmed he could match with no problem. By no means a B&W quality, but entire setup for 450? That's gotta be a great deal.... They sounded great in the Magnolia showroom.
post #19 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I agree with the recommendations for better watts and newer processing but I am surprised that (unless I missed it) that there has been no mention of a higher quality subwoofer. I am not knocking your velodyne - don't get me wrong. I had a few velodynes. 12 & 13" models in the midrange of their line and I ran them with the Grand dad of your speakers - B&W 602 S2 paired with 2 different Yamaha receivers over the years.

I was never satisfied - actually quite disappointed for what I spent on the subs (thus the upgrade from the 12" to the 15" - but it made things worse - not better). That all changed the day I bought a used SVS cylinder sub with a 12" driver. I didn't even re-run room eq. I just plunked it down right on top of the velodyne, swapped the cable from the Velo to the SVS, set the level and started playing demos. Even without dialing in the sub as I should have this was one of those transformational moments. It didn't stand out as a subwoofer but seemed to extend or "complete" my mains and the effect on the soundstage/spaciousness (my room seemed bigger) was quite unexpected.

A good sub can add a new dimension to your music and movies and quite literally transform your listening experience if set up properly. Granted you will need to select the right sub not to overwhelm the 686's and some form of room correction (electronic via a new receiver or the afforbable mini-dsp or room treatments) will vastly improve your results.

It's been a long time so I'm sure the Yamaha sound signature has changed but I found it difficult to tame the brightness of the Yamaha's of the day paired with B&W speakers even when I made the move from 602's to 803's. I got there - but it was a challenge at times. That was back in the late 90's-early 2000's so that observation may not be relevant. Just firing a warning shot just in case. One thing I can say about the Yamaha's is that they are workhorses. Both receivers I mentioned are still running strong and functioning 100% and the pre dolby digital 2090 is still a pleasure to listen to. I still have it in my office paired with the 602's to this day. I couldn't let it or the speakers go.
post #20 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Audessey XT32 is a killer
Not for me in my living room set up. It's good but not much better then XT in my older Marantz if at all! I like what i am hearing with the very basic MCACC in my new Pioneer SC-LX502 better then both flavors of Audyssey's!

post #21 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Well this is interesting. Stopped by store on way home looking at some of the items we've been talking about. Came across something that may cause me to put surround in different room from B&W but need quick opinion (again). Definitive Technology pre packaged Pro Cinema 600 with all 5.1.BB shelf is $800 but Amazon has on closeout for $450. My good sales friend checked his database and confirmed he could match with no problem. By no means a B&W quality, but entire setup for 450? That's gotta be a great deal.... They sounded great in the Magnolia showroom.
Are you looking to do 2 systems then? Move the B&W into another room?

Kirk
post #22 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_P View Post
Not to hijack the thread with an inverse question, but I have some B&W 685s with an HTM61 (or 62, can't remember... the smaller one) that I love. They are currently powered by a Marantz 8002, which has been stellar, but which I am thinking of replacing due to lack of 4K support, and because I am interested in getting some wireless surrounds (though I might try a wireless kit first). Any thoughts on how a receiver like the Yamaha 7850 would sound compared to the ~10 year old Marantz?
If you like your Marantz, but just need updated tech like HDMI,4K as well as improved dsp and room correction, just get another Marantz 6xxx/7xxx. They are very good quality AVR's and will still have the signature sound you're used to.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Pioneer VSX-830K, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #23 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I highly doubt those plastic cubes will outshine your B&W's. What you need is a better amp/AVR.
k2208 likes this.

post #24 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. We need on 2 rooms eventually, but this great speaker price has me thinking about rearranging order of purchase & implement. Unless folks tell me DefTecs are a no no, even at 450 for all including sub. And realizing I know the B&W will be much higher end system.
post #25 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DefTecs are a no no

There ya go :P
post #26 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Personally I think you would be taking a step backward with the Def Tech set up especially if you are in anything other than a tiny room. I imagine being sold as a package they are pretty well matched but they are tiny and a couple of reviews I hit indicated they are bright/harsh.

If you are inclined to keep your B&W's (I would because I don't think the Sony is exposing their full potential) then I would suggest a new receiver and subwoofer in that order. A new receiver should bring your surrounds to life and a subwoofer - even the one you currently have should take enough of the workload that you won't need an external amp with those speakers. Not that an amp couldn't improve on certain things, but would you hear those things as much as a receiver and subwoofer upgrade? Highly unlikely with those speakers.

The Sony ES stuff is rumored to be pretty good but like you said - it's pre-hdmi and you are missing out on a decade+ of codec and processing improvements. If I was in your position I would look for the best receiver I can currently afford that meets my needs and start cruising Craig's List and ebay for secondary market SVS or HSU subs. Maybe even the DLS Speedwoofer - that's very well reviewed and I think it's only $400 brand new.

Also - consider your source components. A list of those, and what you feel you're missing when you say "the speakers simply haven't performed that well" might lend a little insight into where to draw the lines on recommendations for improvement.

Best of Luck. I'll be curious to see what you settle on and the results.

Last edited by Artzilla; 01-11-2019 at 06:16 PM.
post #27 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

To clarify, second room is not as "critical" or whatever word would be. Long range plan would be (DefTecs?) in that room with existing old model Sony. Then LATER buy a nicer receiver to pair with B&W. Trying to do this all from my phone while shopping.
post #28 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
To clarify, second room is not as "critical" or whatever word would be. Long range plan would be (DefTecs?) in that room with existing old model Sony. Then LATER buy a nicer receiver to pair with B&W. Trying to do this all from my phone while shopping.
If you get a new receiver with a powered second zone you could enjoy the benefits of the newer tech in both rooms with a single receiver. I think you'd be limited to stereo and maybe a sub out in the second zone but .....it's an option. I don't know if that's available at your budget but figured I'd throw it out there since you're shopping. I just have a queasy feeling about the Def Techs and "packaged" sets in general. The price might be right, and I haven't heard them, but you might be better off trolling the net for some used Paradigm Atoms, a well rounded speaker I have experience with. I've had several generations of Atoms and Titans. Still do as a mater of fact. More satisfied with the Atoms which despite being a fraction of the size are warmer & fuller sounding than the B&W 602's. Less detailed/clinical than the B&W's but a pleasant speaker to listen to for extended periods without fatigue. They are small but punch well above their weight and price - especially on the secondary market.
post #29 of 36 Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Quote:
If you like your Marantz, but just need updated tech like HDMI,4K as well as improved dsp and room correction, just get another Marantz 6xxx/7xxx. They are very good quality AVR's and will still have the signature sound you're used to.
Well... that is certainly an option. The two main reasons for switching are 4K and wireless surrounds, and I believe only the Yamahas and the Denon HEOS AVR can do wired/wireless combo. Really wish they’d bring that to other Denon and Marantz receivers.
post #30 of 36 Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Quote:
Any opinion on the Marantz slim models? They’ve got all the inputs/outputs I need since I’m only doing 5.1. If I decide to use a wireless kit for the surrounds they could be a contender if they will still have that good sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers