Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Living Room Projector and Screen Options

Hi everyone. My wife and I have been building our own "tiny house" for about a year now and we're finally at the finishing stages and can think about the entertainment setup. I'm pretty good with computers, but with home-theater stuff is a whole lot to absorb, so I'm going to have to ask for help here.

For the screen the idea is to mount a roll down (motorized or not) screen inside the window casing (8" deep) in the living room, we'll have cellular blinds behind it as well to block out light. The opening is 46"W x 58"W, minus about an 1/8" in each direction.

For the projector... It's pretty much going to be limited to sitting in a cabinet beside the couch (16' away), due to our unique layout (think studio apartment) and because I forgot to wire a power outlet overhead and it's too late now. The house is NetZero and I'd like to keep it that way and with this being our only TV in the house a long lamp life is a must, so I was thinking LED is the way to go, but idk if the technology is up to par yet considering the distance it'll have to project and the fact that I'd like to still use it during the day without running around closing all of the blind in the house, which is really only 5 windows, but still. Oh almost forgot, the projector is going to be getting it's input via a wireless HDMI switchbox hooked up to an HTPC and maybe a game console or 2.

Thanks, I appreciate any comments/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I tried to reply before but it didn't go through.
Did you look into ultra short throw projectors. They can go just in front of your screen. either above or below.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 375
2 issues. If your screen is only 54"wide not sure since both measurements say wide.. but either way you would need to get a custom screen build or make one yourself. Second issue is you would be hard pressed to find a projector that would go that small from any distance. A standard throw lens would need to be about 7.5' from the screen to project an image 45" wide, assuming your 46" is the width. The short throw projectors make a big image very close to the screen . I would maybe suggest building a swinging frame that could have a TV mounted to it and then lift it up and latch it when not in use?? Or maybe a cabinet with a TV lift inside? No idea if that is even possible in your environment.

Use this calculator to find out how far a given projector needs to be from the screen to produce a given size image http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ulator-pro.cfm

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
… For the screen the idea is to mount a roll down (motorized or not) screen inside the window casing (8" deep) in the living room, we'll have cellular blinds behind it as well to block out light. The opening is 46"W x 58"W, minus about an 1/8" in each direction. ...
Not sure if I totally understand your setup. Can you confirm which dimension (46" or 58") is height and which is width? Assuming the best case scenario that the width is the wider 58" dimension, a retractable screen that would fit inside of that window opening would have a maximum image area width of <50" which equates to a 16:9 aspect ratio screen diagonal of ~55". If the window casing the screen needs to fit inside is only 46" wide you'd end up with a screen diagonal of ~45". Almost no one uses a projector for that small an image because TVs of that size are much easier to set up and use and will produce better overall performance at comparable cost.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, sorry everyone. The height is 46 and the width is 58.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animag771 View Post
Oops, sorry everyone. The height is 46 and the width is 58.
Still have the same issues.. Another option would be a portable screen, either a pullup or tripod style which would let you have a real screen size but can be put away when not in use.

Doug

post #7 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 411
No consumer projector can shoot such a small screen from 16'. You might be able to find a commercial model with interchangeable long throw lens in the used market but the lens alone can cost several thousands. I would think of some way to swing a LCD flat screen into the window frame. A projector in a foot rest or some piece of furniture closer to the screen might also be an option.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS

Last edited by rekbones; 12-30-2018 at 04:40 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I checked out that calculator, but without already having a projector in mind idk how to use it effectively. I played with it a bit by just randomly selecting a projector and the best combo I found was 16:10, 58" W x 36" H which gives a 68" diagonal. I don't know why, hut this stuff seriously confuses me.

A regular TV will not work in the space at all. A ultra-short throw may do the trick but I'd honestly never heard of them until earlier today, so I'll have to do some homework on them and how they work. If that won't work or there isn't a way to make the screen work inside the window casing, I may have to settle for having the screen mounted on the wall above the window so it can be larger. It just won't have that hidden look I'm going for.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-30-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

as short throw is to make a 120" image with the projector very close to the screen.. as in like 24" Won't make a small image..

Doug

post #10 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like my only option is going to be to mount the screen just above the window and let it completely covers the window when it's down. That will afford me an extra foot on each side, for a total width of 82". I know it's still small compared to most people, but screen size is a personal preference after all. I'm not going for a fully decked out THX home theater room. This is a living room, the house only has 2 occupants with friends over on occasion, it will be used as out only TV and the biggest screen we've ever had was 42" (sold 2 years ago), so pretty much anything we can fit here will be a huge jump up for us.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So you build the house (I will take that literally) why not build a lift cabinet for a TV
Then you keep your clean look..

Doug

post #12 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you took that literally, everybody else just assumes "We built a house" means "We hired a builder".

I like your thinking with the TV cabinet. I watched the video (Jon always does such a good job in his videos) and I could probably build one without too much trouble, but it just won't work in this living room. There is already a built in cabinet under the window which has many functions (storage, media center, seating, stairs) and it's too short. It would only support a 26" TV. Here is a picture of the space I'm working with. I really think a projector is the only way to go.

http://i.imgur.com/tTyDWpi.jpg
post #13 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Ignore the mess, it's a work in progress
post #14 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would recommend a pull down projector screen which will fit width wise between the light switch / bannister on the right side and the door on the left side. If you wanted to keep it looking somewhat hidden, you could build a wooden or upholstered box valance around the pull down screen so that it just looks like a window treatment.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-31-2018, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to think that's going to be my only option. I like your idea of building a box for it to hide in, I might even paint it to match the wall so it blends in better. It looks like that would give me a max screen size of 94" diagonally (46" x 82") at 16:9. That's more than enough for me. After I told my wife about the cost of custom lenses and such, as mentioned earlier she commented "If we HAVE to get a bigger screen to save money, I guess that's not so bad" lol. It's funny how in this particular case a bigger screen is actually the cheaper option.

So does anyone know off hand if there is a projector out there that can cast a 94" image from 16' away (alternatively an ultra short throw projector that could be mounted upside down from a shelf above the screen?) and a roll down screen (probably motorized at this point) that will work with these dimensions? At this point I suppose the screen could be a slightly oversized, but not the image, due to the railing in the way.

OR any good resources for me to do my own research, to find products? I'm normally not the type of person to try to be spoon fed information. There's just a whole lot of info to sift through on this topic.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Any thoughts on using an Epson 4010 and a 92" 16:9 screen? Think it'd work well at 16'? It seems to work in the calculator, if I used it correctly.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-02-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Any of the Epson 4000/5000/6000 series models will work as they all have the same long zoom lens. None of the other projectors <$3,000 MSRP that can throw a 92" image from 16' lens to screen can match the overall performance of the Epsons.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-06-2019, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

So it looks like I'll be getting the Epson 4010 projector and for the screen I'm still searching. It seems that my options are somewhat more limited since I'm only going for a 92" 16:9 screen.

Originally I was thinking of using an Elite Screens VMAX2 ($315) but after looking into the wave issue with pull down screens, I stumbled upon a forum post that recommended using a tablet tensioned screen to help reduce the likelihood of waves forming.

After looking and looking trying to find a decent deal on a tab tensioned screen that's only 92", the best one I can find without getting into the thousands of dollars is an Elite Screens Cinetension 2 ($812) with a gain of 1.1. The tab tensioned one is quite a bit more expensive, but if it saves me from having to replace the screen after only a few years, maybe it's worth it.

Any opinions there?
post #19 of 21 Old 01-08-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this in hopes for an answer on which screen would be best for a roll down 92" 16:9 from with an Epson 4010 at 16'. After looking at how quickly prices can jump I've realized that a screen can cost as much or more than the projector itself. Trying to stay under $1k for the screen.
post #20 of 21 Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Keep in mind that screen technologies don't change as rapidly as projectors...meaning the screen you buy now will likely outlast any digital device you use with it (source or projector).

I've always used fixed frame screens so can't help with the model suggestions other than to agree that a tab tensioned model is what you want and Elite makes a good product.
post #21 of 21 Old 01-09-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Good enough for me. I'd going to buy the tab tensioned screen because I'd prefer to buy something of higher quality, that will last longer than get something that won't last and have to buy again and again, but at the end of the day budget is always a consideration, so I can just go out and buy some $3k screen.

End result is the Epson 4010 paired with an Elite Screens 92" (16:9) Cinetension. Time to order this stuff and then build an HTPC. I've been without a TV for 2 years now, using my phone for Netflix and a laptop for a DVD player. This is going to be a VERY big upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP