Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-27-2018, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Home Theatre

Hi, first time poster and general technophobe so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have a spare room in my house it is roughly 330cm x 332cm with a ceiling height of 300cm. It is a square shape with the door on the bottom of the left hand wall and a small bay window slightly off centre to the right on the wall along the top of the square. The window is 83cm x 159cm and looks out northwards. There is a tall wall about 3 ft from the window on the outside so the room gets very little sunlight and would be easy to darken further with blinds. I would ideally want the projector on the right hand wall so it would project onto the wall with the door. Wall to door frame is 222cm so roughly 87.5 inches of viewing space. I could have the projector on the other side giving me the 332cm so 131 inches of viewing space but then I would not have much space for a seating and could likely only sit 2.

The walls are papered a beige colour - the paper is textured and the ceiling is painted white.

I would like a projector of reasonable quality so that I can get a half decent picture but am at the entry level budget end of the scale. I want to spend no more than £500 but if I could get something in the Christmas sales for less that would be ideal.

I have some questions:
1. I want the projector to watch tv, mainly films and sport. It will be used secondary to the tv in the living room -I can't see it being used every day. My partner has a PlayStation so it would be good to have the option of connecting it up but he is only a social player. I appreciate the room is quite small - is it too small to create a set up to suit my needs?

Next questions are based on the room not being too small:
2. Is a white fixed screen the way to go for me?
3. I have an old home cinema speaker system that I used until I upgraded my tv a few years ago. It works perfectly well - and if it wasn't for my new tv having an incredibly limited array of connectors and me being unable to find the correct adapters, i would still use it. Anyway, i would ideally like to connect it to the projector. It is a Samsung HT-Z120 it used scart. I previously used it with SCART to the red, white and yellow audio lead converter. Will this be a big problem?
4. I have had a look at projectors on the market, the Optima 143x seems to get very good reviews and is currently on sale at £399. Would this be fine for me or can you recommend anything else?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hi,

My room is about the same dimensions, except that It’s a little deeper. For a 132” image you’ll need a short throw projector. The 80”, I’m not sure you’ll be able to get it with the Optoma within that space. According to projector central’s calculator, you won’t. Anyway, for a small space with all the bright walls nearby, I would look for a not so bright projector. Where do you intend to place the projector? Different projectors require different placement. As for the audio, you would make your life easier if you connected it to the same source as the image.

I suggest you ask someone to borrow you a projector and try it out in that confined space. Even some old office projector will give you a good idea of what to expect from projecting and sitting in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 12-27-2018, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

My room is about the same dimensions, except that It’s a little deeper. For a 132” image you’ll need a short throw projector. The 80”, I’m not sure you’ll be able to get it with the Optoma within that space. According to projector central’s calculator, you won’t. Anyway, for a small space with all the bright walls nearby, I would look for a not so bright projector. Where do you intend to place the projector? Different projectors require different placement. As for the audio, you would make your life easier if you connected it to the same source as the image.

I suggest you ask someone to borrow you a projector and try it out in that confined space. Even some old office projector will give you a good idea of what to expect from projecting and sitting in there.

Thank you @descalabro

I was going to connect the projector to the wall on the right hand side of the square with a bracket. In the main, I will just use a firestick for the image. I have netflix, Amazon, bt and sky sports apps so sadly that doesn't help with the audio. I also don't know anyone with a projector to borrow one from. Thank you for your advise re short throw projectors. Are there any that you would recommend I look at? If easier I could always get the optoma and use a pull down screen which covered part of the door. It is only myself and partner in the house so not a great deal of in and out traffic but I suppose not ideal and I have read the pull down screens are not as good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-27-2018, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

I suggest the Viewsonic Pro7827HD, it’s within your price. Not really short throw but can go up to 100” in that confined space. 100” is a lot, believe me. You won’t want to use all the available wall space, anyway. It’s good to have some space away from the walls and ceiling. You’ll have to mount it on the ceiling or a low shelf or table. This projector has audio output, and you can probably connect it to your system using an audio to RCA adapter.

About the pull down screen to cover the door, that’s exactly what I did in my space. Except that I built my own screen. It is true that pull down screens tend to get wavy, but I’ve seen a few in this forum that looked pretty good. On the other hand, if I had a good straight and smooth wall, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to use it. So much more practical than using a screen.

post #5 of 9 Old 12-30-2018, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

@descalabro - thank you so much. I was struggling to find the projector you mentioned but finally found it on Amazon so il go for that one I think. Il have a look for the threads on screens. I'd like to have used the wall but because the wallpaper is textured it's not a simple case of painting over it and then the door is in the way too. Il get a ceiling bracket for the projector too. Many thanks again
post #6 of 9 Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judelock View Post
@descalabro - thank you so much. I was struggling to find the projector you mentioned but finally found it on Amazon so il go for that one I think. Il have a look for the threads on screens. I'd like to have used the wall but because the wallpaper is textured it's not a simple case of painting over it and then the door is in the way too. Il get a ceiling bracket for the projector too. Many thanks again
Alright! Many people on this forum are happy with this projector. I hope you'll be too. Notice that ceiling mounting requires the projector to be upside down. So, if it's really a bracket on the wall and not a mount hanging from the ceiling, you'll have to find a way to put it upside down and leveled.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

@descalabro thank you - knowing my luck I would have had an upside down picture. Il definately go for the ceiling bracket. I am just going to order the projected. When I go on the projector page on view sonic website and click buy, it takes me to his amazon page. There are 3 choices could you let me know which one I should choose? It won't let me post the link but the choices state... 1. Full hd220lm +rec709, full hd 3200lm, full hd 3200lm +1.3 optical zoom. They are£584.99, £436.97 and £485.99 respectively. Thanks so much again for your help!!!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2019, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

The ViewSonic Pro7827HD has 2200lm, so it’s that one.

post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Liked: 794
I have the Pro7827HD as my main projector for HT and also TV viewing and have had it for about 6 months now. We are quite happy with the overall performance and I would also recommend it.

This projector has always been a decent entry level HT projector but until about 6 months ago had priced itself out of the market. Viewsonic took it out of production and greatly reduced the pricing and that’s when a few of us jumped on it and it gained some late appeal.

As of right now they are getting close to being all gone and the few remaining have went back up in price somewhat. On and off there have been factory refurbished also being offered and they were very good deals, some could still be offered.

The projector Viewsonic is replacing it with is the PX725HD. It has a few pluses over the Pro in terms of gaming I think. I haven’t studied it too closely yet so you would have to do some research.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP