192Likes

post #61 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiltzamania View Post
Can anyone confirm if the new units have the updated firmware? I really want to order one but I have literally hundreds of 3D blurays and don't want to have to return it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I asked the same question to Benq Europe, and I got the following answer: From week 12 the retailers can start order the FW upgraded W1700 units. That means we as buyers should be able to order fail free W1700 units from week 13-14, I think. US might have the fixed HT2550 batch earlier than the European market, though.
(We returned our W1700 to the online retailer last Monday, so now we’re just waiting for the fail free W1700 to become available)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I decided to play with the HT2550 a little more this week and made some small tweaks to the picture settings. I’ve decided to post these settings for anyone who might like to compare. Remember: it’s not good to simply copy settings but this is a good point of reference to see how your unit/tastes might compare. These are NOT calibrated settings. I arrived at these by using my DVE Blu-ray as well as a liberal sprinkling of 4K/HDR test material. I’m only posting settings I actually adjusted from default.

Picture mode: cinema
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 57
Sharpness: 5

Advances menu
Gamma (SDR): 2.3
HDR Brightness (HDR): -1
Cinema Master menu
Pixel Enhancer 4K: 2
DCTI: [on]
DLTI: [on] (per Chris Eberle’s recommendation in his review)

All other settings are in their default setting and Light mode is set to SmartEco.
Thanks Sage, we’ll use these settings when we get our new (and final, hopefully) W1700 unit in a few weeks!
post #63 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I had some difficulty with HDMI. 15 feet is the absolute max I would recommend and make sure you keep it away from parallel runs alongside power cords. My high speed, well shielded 25 footer would not work. I ended up with a 10 foot cord and just moved my Sony X800 closer to the projector. My X800 is also finicky and will sometimes require a power cycle before it will recognize the HT2550. Ironically the PS4 has no trouble. One tip is to leave your X800 in auto resolution that way if your cable isn’t up to snuff the player will hopefully scale back to 1080p.
Sage@, so I have a 35 feet hdmi cable that I got from amazon, I am planning to connect my soundbar (vizio) to the projector (hdmi 35 feet cable), so you are saying this will not work? I will have my ATV 4k connected to the soundbar as well (shorter cable) as both the soundbar and the ATV4k will be in the front below the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiltzamania View Post
Can anyone confirm if the new units have the updated firmware? I really want to order one but I have literally hundreds of 3D blurays and don't want to have to return it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like the new models shipping out do have working 3D. I think you’re safe.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #65 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Sage@, so I have a 35 feet hdmi cable that I got from amazon, I am planning to connect my soundbar (vizio) to the projector (hdmi 35 feet cable), so you are saying this will not work? I will have my ATV 4k connected to the soundbar as well (shorter cable) as both the soundbar and the ATV4k will be in the front below the screen.
We used the 50' Ruipro HDMI Fiber cable between our Onkyo TX 676E and the W1700 (HT2550) - worked like a charm. Had a Xbox One X, an ATV4k , a BR disk, a PS4 and a TV cable box connected to the Onkyo. Full 4K from Xbox/ATV4k worked well.
sparky7 and sage11x like this.
post #66 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My replacement projector is due to arrive today. Once I get it swapped out with the old one, I'll let you know if the 3D problem is fixed and what software version it is.

On another note, I have a 20' HDMI cable that I got from Monoprice at least 5 years ago. I'm not having any issues passing 4K through it. My problems were with my Yamaha AVR. It also was about 5 years old. As soon as I plugged an HDMI cable into it I would lose 4K. I replaced it with a brand new AVR and all my problems were solved.
post #67 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not necessarily. Everyone's experience here seems to be a little different but I struggled with 4K/60Hz on anything longer than 15 feet. If you drop to 4K/30 or 4K/24 then I expect you won't have an issue. Also, you can save yourself some headache by making sure your soundbar is HDCP 2.2 or just take it out of the loop entirely by running separate video/audio.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #68 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET34 View Post
We used the 50' Ruipro HDMI Fiber cable between our Onkyo TX 676E and the W1700 (HT2550) - worked like a charm. Had a Xbox One X, an ATV4k , a BR disk, a PS4 and a TV cable box connected to the Onkyo. Full 4K from Xbox/ATV4k worked well.
Fiber is the absolute BEST solution but I know a lot of people balk at the price. I thought about picking one of these up but the 10' cable works perfectly so I just placed my X800 closer to my projector.

For anyone confused: fiber HDMI is an 'active' HDMI cable that converts the HDMI voltage to an optical signal for long runs. It works incredibly well but cables typically run $150 and up and require a power source (usually USB).

If you are having trouble with your existing cable and don't want to spend the big bucks you should look for a high speed HDMI cable (Ethernet doesn't matter) that either has the 'Premium Certified' sticker or is hand tested for 4K/60. Also: try to avoid running parallel to power cables or speaker wires.

post #69 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This cable works fine over 15 feet for me
KabelDirekt (25 feet) HDMI Extension Cable (1080p 4K 3D High Speed with Ethernet ARC)

have ps pro, apples tv 4k, nvdia shield, xbox one x and bunch more connnected to it.
sage11x likes this.
post #70 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Do all units with 1.0.0 firmware ht25550s have bad 3d?
post #71 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I didn’t give Cinema Mode a fair shake so far and last night I did. I was able to get an image almost as bright as Vivid/Sport with even better color accuracy. Changes to default mode I made were Brilliant Color set to on, gamma to “BenQ”, and lamp mode to normal. Fantastic image and my new favorite. Keep in mind I have. 160” image and am having to adjust modes to make most of brightness.
sage11x likes this.
post #72 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 194
For those wondering, for 4K cables look no further than Sewell Direct’ S6 cables. They have the longest/highest quality 4K cables out there at a great price. Mine is 40 feet at 18.6 gbps and no issues whatsoever
post #73 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREF0X View Post
Do all units with 1.0.0 firmware ht25550s have bad 3d?
The W1700 we returned due to 3D sync issues and buzzing noise had Firmware 1.0.1. I would assume that the firmware version of the HT2550 and the W1700 should be the same, but - who knows?
post #74 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got this projector and this thing is amazing. I mean this is what I have been looking for but didn?t get from the other two projectors that I have been testing.

I am still trying various settings, but even the 1080p movies are looking good. Netflix 4K looks great.

I do have a lot of question from the experts owners here.
1. I do see the border out of the screen frame. Will this be something that will be solved? I have an unfinished basement and have white plastic covering insulation behind the screen so it?s not noticeable but if it were black material covering the wall it would be very obvious.

2. Hdmi 35 feet connected from atv 4K directly to the projector doesn?t work. Shorter hdmi cables are working.
3. The remote enter button at the center is sticky. Will benq swap a new remote?
4. I don?t see anyway to change gamma setting in the menu. There is a gamma button but pressing it doesn?t do anything.

5. On the atv4k I have set the video to 4K hdr and match content on, but this makes playing something very slow. What I mean is pressing Netflix and going into Netflix is fine, but when I play a show it takes a few seconds before the video appears like 5-10 sec delay. This is happening with movies and YouTube within atv4k. Same delay when getting out of the show to come back to Netflix home screen etc takes a while. I am assuming it has to do with hdmi cable. ( using a shorter 6 feet hdmi cable)

6. The 4K hdr option on atv4k makes the menu look washed out.

Anyone have any advice to fix these small things. But again this projector is amamzing and 4K is the way to go for a projector.
sage11x likes this.
post #75 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 05:03 PM

I Dunno why people cling to old 1080p projectors 4k hdr really shines big screens you really see the pixels and details with this projector!
post #76 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET34 View Post
The W1700 we returned due to 3D sync issues and buzzing noise had Firmware 1.0.1. I would assume that the firmware version of the HT2550 and the W1700 should be the same, but - who knows?
I'll try and find out.

post #77 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just got this projector and this thing is amazing. I mean this is what I have been looking for but didn?t get from the other two projectors that I have been testing.

I am still trying various settings, but even the 1080p movies are looking good. Netflix 4K looks great.

I do have a lot of question from the experts owners here.
1. I do see the border out of the screen frame. Will this be something that will be solved? I have an unfinished basement and have white plastic covering insulation behind the screen so it?s not noticeable but if it were black material covering the wall it would be very obvious.

2. Hdmi 35 feet connected from atv 4K directly to the projector doesn?t work. Shorter hdmi cables are working.
3. The remote enter button at the center is sticky. Will benq swap a new remote?
4. I don?t see anyway to change gamma setting in the menu. There is a gamma button but pressing it doesn?t do anything.

5. On the atv4k I have set the video to 4K hdr and match content on, but this makes playing something very slow. What I mean is pressing Netflix and going into Netflix is fine, but when I play a show it takes a few seconds before the video appears like 5-10 sec delay. This is happening with movies and YouTube within atv4k. Same delay when getting out of the show to come back to Netflix home screen etc takes a while. I am assuming it has to do with hdmi cable. ( using a shorter 6 feet hdmi cable)

6. The 4K hdr option on atv4k makes the menu look washed out.

Anyone have any advice to fix these small things. But again this projector is amamzing and 4K is the way to go for a projector.
Sid, I'm glad you're enjoying the HT2550! I know you were going back and forth for quite a while between the Epson 3700 and BenQ Ht2050. I'll try and answer these questions.

1. It's an aspect of this DMD design so no fix. But what you say here seems counter intuitive. The darker the surface the less noticeable the light border should be. If you are covering your front wall in a dark or black material I would think you would be all set!

2. Yep, I had this same problem. You need a better cable or you'll need to move your equipment.

3. I'm sure they will.

4. This confused me at first as well: Gamma is available in the 'advanced picture' menu ONLY when displaying an SDR source. As soon as you switch to an HDR source this setting changes to 'HDR Brightness'. See my settings above for recommendations.

5. I doubt this is due to your cable and is more likely due to the projector or your source. The BenQ has a great many things it has to detect before an image can be shown: HDR or SDR, rec 709 or bt2020 or DCI-P3, 60Hz or 30HZ or 24Hz, 4K or 1080p. Add this to the fact that BenQ projectors have always been a little slow when switching sources and there you go.

6. I had no issues leaving the HT2550 HDR setting in auto for the duration of my testing but you may want to experiment with this setting as a wrong selection here will make everything look washed out and terrible. There was an early adopter in the other thread that was complaining of everything looking washed out and I'm fairly confident he was having an issue with the HDR setting not working with his source.

post #78 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREF0X View Post
I Dunno why people cling to old 1080p projectors 4k hdr really shines big screens you really see the pixels and details with this projector!
The resolution/detail improvement is hard to deny. Still, I think there are still a great number of reasons to recommend a 1080p projector. But I feel you: every time I go back to one of the 1080p projectors I get this nagging feeling like I'm missing something.

post #79 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sage@ as you know I have been really struggling finding the right projector and I think this one fits the bill.

So all 4K projectors will have this extra light border? Good to know that if I put black material on the front wall it will minimize that light border.

Yes, I did see the hdr setting in advance menu and I will try your settings.

I won?t speak for others, but someone getting into projectors in 2018 would be very happy with this 4K projector. I mean it really blows the 1080p projector, to me there is no comparison.

I can definitely confirm that the 35feet cable is not working directly with the projector and atv4k.

I have to find a solution for a hdmi cable as I don?t want to invest in a receiver. I understand that is what most of the people use but for my needs a 5.1 soundbar really is ok. So I can?t move equipment as the soundbar needs to be in the front and the projector in the back.

Before I mount this, how close to the ceiling does it have to be? My screen is a couple inches from the ceiling but I can lower it by a few inches if need be.
sage11x likes this.
post #80 of 509 Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sage@ as you know I have been really struggling finding the right projector and I think this one fits the bill.

So all 4K projectors will have this extra light border? Good to know that if I put black material on the front wall it will minimize that light border.

Yes, I did see the hdr setting in advance menu and I will try your settings.

I won?t speak for others, but someone getting into projectors in 2018 would be very happy with this 4K projector. I mean it really blows the 1080p projector, to me there is no comparison.

I can definitely confirm that the 35feet cable is not working directly with the projector and atv4k.

I have to find a solution for a hdmi cable as I don?t want to invest in a receiver. I understand that is what most of the people use but for my needs a 5.1 soundbar really is ok. So I can?t move equipment as the soundbar needs to be in the front and the projector in the back.

Before I mount this, how close to the ceiling does it have to be? My screen is a couple inches from the ceiling but I can lower it by a few inches if need be.
Only the 4K DLPs with the .47 DMD like this BenQ and the Optoma UHD50. The higher priced 4K DLPs that use the .66 DMD like the Optoma UHD65 and BenQ 8050 don't have it.

Sounds like you just need a better cable but make sure your sound bar can pass an HDCP 2.2 signal.

The drop distance for the projector depends on the size of your screen. Turn to page 12 in your user guide and reference the chart. You're looking for the vertical offset corresponding to your screen size. Keep in mind the vertical offset is relayed in mm and is the distance the center of your lens needs to be above the top edge of your screen. For example: if you have a 120" screen your vertical offset would be 149mm.

post #81 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Only the 4K DLPs with the .47 DMD like this BenQ and the Optoma UHD50. The higher priced 4K DLPs that use the .66 DMD like the Optoma UHD65 and BenQ 8050 don't have it.

Sounds like you just need a better cable but make sure your sound bar can pass an HDCP 2.2 signal.

The drop distance for the projector depends on the size of your screen. Turn to page 12 in your user guide and reference the chart. You're looking for the vertical offset corresponding to your screen size. Keep in mind the vertical offset is relayed in mm and is the distance the center of your lens needs to be above the top edge of your screen. For example: if you have a 120" screen your vertical offset would be 149mm.
I also had a chance to do a small side by side test of the benq 2550 and the epson 3700, the epson was good but the benq 2550 still has a big advantage.

A couple more observations, the source change or detect is slow and I am not sure if I can live with it or there is any solution.
Sage@ i understand what you are saying that it takes a while for the benq to process and go through some kind of detection process, but it really takes away from a fluid experience, since the source devices like the atv4k or ps4 pro etc have enough power and are fast.
I will contact benq and see if they can provide a solution. I cannot believe that people are not complaining about this slow response for the projector to detect. I wonder if i turn the match frame rate off in atv4k, if that will solve the issue.

I also noticed last night, that playing planet earth II on netflix, the benq sounded like it was going through a lot of processing and then when it displayed there was a line in the middle, on one half was the 4k image and the other side was the non 4k image. Felt like somehow the projector after trying to process everything failed to display 4k. This worried me as I am not sure is caused by a hardware or a software failure. My version number is 1.0.1. How do i test 3d? I don't have glasses except for vizio tv 3d passive glasses, will these glasses work? I won't be watching a lot of 3d movies, but still want to make sure that my unit doesn't have any issues like the ones being reported.

I will give that sewell 4k HDMI a try.

Setting the HDR to auto, i noticed that my 1080p movies don't get the HDR applied and look a little washed out, vs setting it to HDR make a 1080p content really pop.

The atv4k home screen looks still washed out.
post #82 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
I also noticed last night, that playing planet earth II on netflix, the benq sounded like it was going through a lot of processing and then when it displayed there was a line in the middle, on one half was the 4k image and the other side was the non 4k image. Felt like somehow the projector after trying to process everything failed to display 4k. This worried me as I am not sure is caused by a hardware or a software failure. My version number is 1.0.1. How do i test 3d? I don't have glasses except for vizio tv 3d passive glasses, will these glasses work? I won't be watching a lot of 3d movies, but still want to make sure that my unit doesn't have any issues like the ones being reported.

I don't have a ht2550, but the Netflix issue could be slow streaming or a streaming hiccup. It is concerning, though. The 4K actuator could be failing. Is this still happening or was it a one-time event?

3D requires 3D DLPlink glasses which are readily available on Amazon. Passive 3D glasses do not work.
post #83 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I don't have a ht2550, but the Netflix issue could be slow streaming or a streaming hiccup. It is concerning, though. The 4K actuator could be failing. Is this still happening or was it a one-time event?

3D requires 3D DLPlink glasses which are readily available on Amazon. Passive 3D glasses do not work.
I don't think, it was a streaming hiccup, it was wired and not on wifi, but who knows, it is concerning if it starting to fail, yes it happened only once as soon as i backed out of the show and then went back it again, it was fine. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet, but I do plan to keep testing it.

My main concern right now, are the slow launch or any content, where after i press the play button, the screen goes dark takes about 5-10 sec, the audio starts and then the video appears. Sometimes when I hear the audio, and no video, i hit pause or back out and then play and it works. This really is taking away from the experience.
post #84 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I really wonder if this is cable related. I had almost he same problem with my 25 footer splitting the screen in half. As I was not ever able to recreate it and the 25 foot would only pass 1080p from then out I assumed it was a corrupted signal from the insufficient cable. In my many, many, many hours of viewing since replacing the cable i haven’t experienced any other issues.

post #85 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sage@ which cable did you switch to? I ordered one that was recommended here the Sewell 35 feet. I am hoping that it is the cable that caused it, glad to hear that you were able to resolve it with a different cable.

Did you are anyone else have experienced the slow content display using Apple tv4k. I wonder if this is a cable issue too.
post #86 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I guess we've all seen the latest review:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2550-review.htm
sage11x likes this.
post #87 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I guess we've all seen the latest review:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2550-review.htm
Yep. The big difference between this and Eberle's / Katzmaier's reviews is Evan didn't like the color. I noticed the blue (my exact quote: "Besides a tendency of whites to look a little cool...") but in my test patterns the problem didn't extend to mid tones and skin tones and my experience was much closer to Eberle's. Of course I'm eye balling this with test patterns and filters and not using an actual colorimeter. Evan also kept mentioning the competition and I'm sure it didn't help that Optoma and Vivtek dropped prices on their two models (the ones Evan JUST tested) in anticipation of the BenQ's release. Still, there are tradeoffs. The Vivtek seems to have poor color out of the box and very pricey replacement lamps. The Optoma is consistently dinged for it's optics and isn't an RGBRGB model.

One thing I was surprised to read is his assessment on the HDR brightness setting-- and really his assessment of HDR period. Am I reading it right that he feels flat panels do a worse job with HDR?? In any case, I found the HDR setting on the HT2550 did a lot and feel the neutral position is a little too high and results in visible artifacts in challenging scenes. Turning it down to -1 looks more natural without losing that punch.

post #88 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Mentioning the competition does help and is what you want in a balanced review. If the reviewer has no basis of comparison what good are his thoughts and recommendations.
post #89 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibratedlumens View Post
Mentioning the competition does help and is what you want in a balanced review. If the reviewer has no basis of comparison what good are his thoughts and recommendations.
Didn't say it didn't help just making an observation. I actually like that he tried to put the pros and cons of each model in the review as, I agree, it's helpful to a prospective buyer.

post #90 of 509 Old 03-10-2018, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Official BenQ HT2550 4K HDR Projector Review and Owners Thread

Quote:
Sage@ which cable did you switch to? I ordered one that was recommended here the Sewell 35 feet. I am hoping that it is the cable that caused it, glad to hear that you were able to resolve it with a different cable.

Did you are anyone else have experienced the slow content display using Apple tv4k. I wonder if this is a cable issue too.

Sewell is a good company and Scottyroo seems to have had good luck with his Sewell HDMI.

I use a 10 foot MediaBridge Ultra Series. While they didn’t spring for the ‘Certified Premium’ sticker they do claim to hand test each cable and I’ve always been impressed with their products. Keep in mind the Ultra series is only rated for 4K/60 up to 25 feet. Above that you’ll be limited to 4K/30.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP