post #181 of 199 Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
one year on my LG C7 55 inch: no trace of burn in

I am careful with it, as I would be with any emissive display

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 199 Old 12-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 159
It will be a year for me this February. I too have no burn-in. Then again, owning three Plasmas has trained me well...

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
post #183 of 199 Old 12-19-2018, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 578
1900 hours on my 65" B7... it will be a year in February since it replaced my plasma.

My OLED has been fed a steady diet of full/wide screen UHD movies with occasional non-news station cable programming. No burn in to be seen anywhere. So my answer to the question is... A big problem? Ummm... maybe if you watch CNN 14 hours a day? That leads to a bigger question though.

Who in their right mind would buy an OLED to watch news stations? You buy a cheap LCD for that.
MajorTendonitis likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Panasonic GH5 with 42.5mm f1.2 & 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lenses

Last edited by TravisPNW; 12-19-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: ... typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 199 Old 12-19-2018, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 383 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8266 Post(s)
Liked: 14539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
1900 hours on my 65" B7... it will be a year in February since it replaced my plasma.

My OLED has been fed a steady diet of full/wide screen UHD movies with occasional non-news station cable programming. No burn in to be seen anywhere. So my answer to the question is... A big problem? Ummm... maybe if you watch CNN 14 hours a day? That leads to a bigger question though.

Who in their right mind would buy an OLED to watch news stations? You buy a cheap LCD for that.
Wall street types who want the flattest TV for their office wall, people who own yachts. Maybe not CNN but probably one station or another that has a logo and a crawl. Nobody in this forum.
afelcandy and TravisPNW like this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #185 of 199 Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2309
My new 77" C8 is the best display I've ever owned. I am very thankful that threads like this one didn't dissuade me from pulling the trigger.
post #186 of 199 Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Wall street types who want the flattest TV for their office wall, people who own yachts.
So, folks who can afford to throw them away and write them off on taxes.
post #187 of 199 Old 12-21-2018, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:

I sort of agree. But...if your just going to have one tv to serve a family and only one tv, and can't be there to supervise what folks do...

And while news channels are the best known offenders, there are reports of BI from other reasons.

One guy suffered BI in the center area from his wife watching cooking shows. And while it was probably well worth it...a nightly feast matters...he might have been better served with an LCD.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #188 of 199 Old 12-28-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Planning on getting a Sony OLED for my bedroom which should not get a whole lot of use, maybe more use since it will be replacing a 10 year old 40 inch Sony LCD. Main use in bedroom will be streaming Netflix and a few other apps for tv shows and a movie once in a while. Absolutely no news, no gaming and no sports with the exception of a late night baseball game here and there. I had a Samsung plasma as my main tv a while back with no problems and typical mixed usage for 4 years before I sold it to upgrade to a large 4K Sony LCD. So I guess since this will be my first OLED what do I need to know? Is maintaining an OLED difficult? I plan on also getting it calibrated.

Sony 55 A9F
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos soundbar

Last edited by bobbino421; 12-28-2018 at 08:52 AM.
post #189 of 199 Old 01-08-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'll be purchasing an LG C8 very soon. Not buying into the burn-in hype.
post #190 of 199 Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Agreed. It might sound elitist but if all you do is watch actual television there really is no need to spend money on an oled. This is a premium product and often premium products need babysitting.

I know someone who spent over 100 grand on a fully loaded BMW 7 series and only used it to drive a mile or 2 every day. After a few weeks he got a low battery message and had to get it replaced. The dealer told him he needs to take it out for a long drive every once in a while to let the battery charge. It turns out BMWs are actually notorious for this issue (and not any other cars in the same class). Needless to say he now drives a beater every day and saves the Beamer for special occasions.
TravisPNW likes this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #191 of 199 Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 241
The OP asked if OLED Burn-In is a Big Problem. Imo, it is a big problem for anyone who just wants to watch TV as it's been done since televisions arrived in households decades ago. We didn't need applied science degrees to watch TV. We didn't need education on which channels we could watch and which would increase our chances of destroying the TV based on what our neighbors revealed happened to them. We didn't fight over which seat provided the only premium experience. We simply put the TV where it fit the best not where it had to go or it wouldn't work. We didn't have to worry if the drapes were open or closed much less a dark environment like a light free basement. We didn't have to make sure an auto fix was implemented every time we were done watching something and hope the fixing was indeed fixing. We weren't limited to how long we watched the same thing continuously or forced to watch other things we don't like too. We didn't have to inquire from our neighbors to make sure we were watching TV correctly for fear of destroying our TV. There are expert TV watchers who find much of this perfectly normal today though.

Often these expert TV watchers dictate that watching the program you like is not only bad for the TV, but bad for you. Therefore, save the TV from breaking and only watch what the experts watch because what you want to watch is wrong and so is how you watch it. This applies to many things in todays age: That game you like - sorry, it's on the no can do list. That TV show you like - nope, it's forbidden too. Your TV as computer monitor - are you out of your mind? You want to binge watch what? - don't you know you have to change programing on regular basis? Wudda' you mean the picture is too dark? - move it into a black hole where it belongs and it'll look bright enough to burn your retinas out. The TV is off limits but me and the kids want to use it but you have to be present? - yes, you guys are not expert TV watchers and I am so I'll look after the TV to make sure you guys use it correctly and then there won't be any problems... maybe. Etc.

When the avenues are exhausted and experts and non-experts alike put their foot down and say enough is enough, I just want to use a TV any way I see fit, the replies are always the same: You broke your TV because you are not an expert TV watcher. OLED's do not burn-in all by themselves. You did it. Buy a cheap LCD then and watch your garbage on garbage. Or as recently analogized, use a BMW OLED for special occasions and use a beater for your daily driver. I find this humorous. In other words, buy a $5000 OLED for occasional use and buy $300 LCD for everyday use. You'll still need to learn the do's and don'ts of your OLED. Just because it's used less than your LCD doesn't make it less susceptible to destruction. But assuming you've taught yourself how to expertly watch an OLED on special occasions, did you really need to? The experts have us brain washed that no other TV is going to look as good. For us non-experts, is that really true? Are we even going to notice what you notice? I don't think so. You know why? Because experts are watching their TV instead of the content just like audiophiles listen to their equipment instead of the music. They often wave papers and websites around saying 'see it says so right here'.

That said, for the majority, if you put a cheap $300 LCD (as suggested) next to a $5000 OLED the difference will be dramatic. If you put a $5000 LCD next to a $5000 OLED (or any fair comparison) the only differences you would SEE is those the OLED doesn't do too well at. Burn-in being one of the primary downfalls and prevention for it leads to further caveats and special usage scenarios only. Sure, an LCD has some MINOR picture differences an OLED doesn't and vice versa. These are always overblown one way or the other. So, imo, why on earth purchase the new guy on the block that limits your usage and also the possibility of burning in a static image ruining the panel when you could use a different TV any way you like just as you always have, that also produces an exceptional quality picture. Just because a tech is newer doesn't make it better. Imo, it's just different and with that difference comes problems older reliable tech simply doesn't have. Burn-in being the 'biggy'.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1809 / MPC-BE\HC / PowerDVD 18 / DVDFab Player 3/5 / KODI videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #192 of 199 Old 01-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
The OP asked if OLED Burn-In is a Big Problem. Imo, it is a big problem for anyone who just wants to watch TV as it's been done since televisions arrived in households decades ago.
It seems like everyone is in agreement on this point. If all you want to do is watch TV don't buy an OLED. Similarly if all you want to do is drive to the corner gas station everyday don't buy a Rolls Royce.

You live in a free society (I assume) and you are free to buy whatever kind of TV you want. The risk of burn-in is inherent to the technology. If OLED doesn't meet your needs then don't buy it. I don't know what you are ranting about.

You buy the right tool for the right job. Just like no one recommends a 120" front projector screen for a bright living room environment that's going to show kids cartoons and news channels all day. Even though that is arguably the biggest and best display you can get right now. But its not for everyone.

BTW if you don't think LCD can burn-in I've got an old 39" that I would LOVE to sell you.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K

Last edited by bryantc; 01-10-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #193 of 199 Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Relevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtings.com
Our current stance is that if you vary your content and don’t display static areas then you’re unlikely to experience any issues. If you do plan to watch a lot of static content with bright, saturated colors, then an OLED TV probably isn’t for you

post #194 of 199 Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
Quote:
The OP asked if OLED Burn-In is a Big Problem. Imo, it is a big problem for anyone who just wants to watch TV as it's been done since televisions arrived in households decades ago. We didn't need applied science degrees to watch TV. We didn't need education on which channels we could watch and which would increase our chances of destroying the TV based on what our neighbors revealed happened to them. We didn't fight over which seat provided the only premium experience. We simply put the TV where it fit the best not where it had to go or it wouldn't work. We didn't have to worry if the drapes were open or closed much less a dark environment like a light free basement. We didn't have to make sure an auto fix was implemented every time we were done watching something and hope the fixing was indeed fixing. We weren't limited to how long we watched the same thing continuously or forced to watch other things we don't like too. We didn't have to inquire from our neighbors to make sure we were watching TV correctly for fear of destroying our TV. There are expert TV watchers who find much of this perfectly normal today though.

Often these expert TV watchers dictate that watching the program you like is not only bad for the TV, but bad for you. Therefore, save the TV from breaking and only watch what the experts watch because what you want to watch is wrong and so is how you watch it. This applies to many things in todays age: That game you like - sorry, it's on the no can do list. That TV show you like - nope, it's forbidden too. Your TV as computer monitor - are you out of your mind? You want to binge watch what? - don't you know you have to change programing on regular basis? Wudda' you mean the picture is too dark? - move it into a black hole where it belongs and it'll look bright enough to burn your retinas out. The TV is off limits but me and the kids want to use it but you have to be present? - yes, you guys are not expert TV watchers and I am so I'll look after the TV to make sure you guys use it correctly and then there won't be any problems... maybe. Etc.

When the avenues are exhausted and experts and non-experts alike put their foot down and say enough is enough, I just want to use a TV any way I see fit, the replies are always the same: You broke your TV because you are not an expert TV watcher. OLED's do not burn-in all by themselves. You did it. Buy a cheap LCD then and watch your garbage on garbage. Or as recently analogized, use a BMW OLED for special occasions and use a beater for your daily driver. I find this humorous. In other words, buy a $5000 OLED for occasional use and buy $300 LCD for everyday use. You'll still need to learn the do's and don'ts of your OLED. Just because it's used less than your LCD doesn't make it less susceptible to destruction. But assuming you've taught yourself how to expertly watch an OLED on special occasions, did you really need to? The experts have us brain washed that no other TV is going to look as good. For us non-experts, is that really true? Are we even going to notice what you notice? I don't think so. You know why? Because experts are watching their TV instead of the content just like audiophiles listen to their equipment instead of the music. They often wave papers and websites around saying 'see it says so right here'.

That said, for the majority, if you put a cheap $300 LCD (as suggested) next to a $5000 OLED the difference will be dramatic. If you put a $5000 LCD next to a $5000 OLED (or any fair comparison) the only differences you would SEE is those the OLED doesn't do too well at. Burn-in being one of the primary downfalls and prevention for it leads to further caveats and special usage scenarios only. Sure, an LCD has some MINOR picture differences an OLED doesn't and vice versa. These are always overblown one way or the other. So, imo, why on earth purchase the new guy on the block that limits your usage and also the possibility of burning in a static image ruining the panel when you could use a different TV any way you like just as you always have, that also produces an exceptional quality picture. Just because a tech is newer doesn't make it better. Imo, it's just different and with that difference comes problems older reliable tech simply doesn't have. Burn-in being the 'biggy'.
It used to be the case that Plasme won all the Shootouts, the best clean sources..movies...made the tech shine next to LCD, yet the tech had problems with static black bars. This seems not to be the case with OLED. So were this tech shines, high quality movies/black bars, it has no problems with these static black bars. And that is the most important thing here afaik. If all you want to do is watch mediocre sources you might as well buy a LCD.
post #195 of 199 Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 160
As much as I love OLED picture above all other technologies (and plasma before that), there is sufficient evidence out there that permanent IR is possible and can be a problem for normal TV viewing of any content with static imagery.

I own an OLED and haven't experienced any noticeable IR. However, I cringe a lot when my fellow OLED evangelists say that IR is impossible because it hasn't happened to their TV. That's like saying it's impossible for a house to burn down because your personal house hasn't burned down.
post #196 of 199 Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:

I love my 65" 3D C6. I baby the hell out of it, cause it is one of the best 3D tv's ever made and cannot be replaced...and I'm ok with that as I have several other tv's in my home to use for watching dangerous things.

But when it dies will I replace it with another Oled...no way. While I love the picture quality, just no way...I will go for something that has close PQ...but has a proven track record of no BI risks. Not going to repeat the babying and worry game. Some say it's overblown...but so is just how much better Oled PQ is over top LCD's. And with mini LED 5000+ dimming zones coming out now...going to be even closer.

8K 5000+ dimming zones with higher brightness capabilities...and LCD for the win in my book...or wallet.
plonk likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #197 of 199 Old 01-18-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4142 Post(s)
Liked: 3610
I disown your heresy, Kenbar. When LCD can beat an OLED for contrast and black levels in blackout viewing, call me up. In the meantime, I'll baby my OLEDs all the way. I'm glad we have competition to mediocre transmissive, otherwise the development would be nowhere near as far along as it is in 2019.
post #198 of 199 Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 987
While I agree with many here on the AVS forum that OLED UHD TVs can deliver a state of the art picture. However, I do have concerns about using one as my main "family room" TV. As an "old fart" that's owned a lot of different TVs (and HT projectors) over my adult life, including a couple of plasma TVs. I have not had any real burn-in issues. However, since I've been retired for a decade, my wife and I are using our family room TV (currently a 4+ year old 70" UHD LCD/LED) for perhaps 10 to 12 hours a day. It's been reported here on AVS forum that LG rates the life (half brightness) of their OLED panels at only 15,000 hours of use. At 10 hrs. per day of use that's only 4+ years. In comparison the better LCD panels are be rated for a life of 75,000 hours or more and even the later generations of Panasonic Plasma TVs had a rated 60,000 hr. panel life. Of course even a short 15,000 hr. panel life would probably not be issue if you only use the OLED TV for 3 or 4 hours a day, but IF that reported 15,000 life for OLED is correct then the technology still has a ways to go for high usage consumer applications.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; Yesterday at 02:35 PM.
post #199 of 199 Old 01-20-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
I don’t think anyone thinks BI is impossible but rather it is unlikely if you take precautions.

If I set OLED light to 100 and put up full brightness text using the PC input, it would be trivial to create BI.

If I watched sports with scores on screen for eight hours or more I might also be concerned.

But that also won’t stop me from watching 4x3 or letterboxed movies all day Sunday, and my TV is locked on Hallmark Channel for at least eight to ten hours per day from late October through January every year and I don’t hve the logo burned into my screen yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
oled , oled burn-in