Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-17-2018, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unhappy Little jammed up here (ok, a lot) with stupid crap re: setting ethernet info

For some reason, my router got stupid...nothing new there, I know.
So, reset router.
Replay couldn't connect to network after many many tries
Said fine, switch to MODEM
Ok, couldn't connect, but there's no #'s for it anyway, so not a surprise
Said switch to Ethernet
hell started

It connects, eventually, and gets an IP from the router
BUT
it cannot seem to connect to the internet.

I checked the settings, and initially they all looked good (connecting into LaHo as I have been for a long time now), but it still failed. Selected to have it show me 'Details', and the stupid thing has on it's own set the DNS servers to 75.75.75.75 and 76

I have since found that no matter what I do, I canNOT get the damned thing back into manual settings mode for the Ethernet data. I must be missing something somewhere, but it's been making me nuts for over an hour.

I finally pulled the plug on my router, again, and told the Replay to connect...now when it couldn't get an IP from DHCP, the manual settings re-appeared. Rebooted router and manually entered the CORRECT data, AGAIN. Tried to connect...got an IP...
and failed to connect to the internet, again

Checked Details, and the freaking thing is back to 75.75.75.75 and 76

of course, trying to connect again (and again and again), just has it fail again (and.....) and I cannot find WHERE I can tell the stupid thing the CORRECT DNS values...it is defaulting back to MODEM (hence the DNS's I think) and the only choice I'm given is to switch to ethernet, and begin this living hell all over.

If I EXIT the switching to ethernet (because it 'could not access the Internet'), it defaults back to MODEM. If I don't EXIT, it just tries over and over to connect, but cannot (because of the wrong DNS) and will not ever let me manually enter the right DNS unless I unplug ethernet and have it try again...

There seems to have been an easier way to get to manual entry, but since I'm stuck now in MODEM land, I am feeling very twisting in the wind-ish.

What am I missing here?

thx,
David.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-17-2018, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarl_cabot View Post
For some reason, my router got stupid...nothing new there, I know.
So, reset router.
Replay couldn't connect to network after many many tries
Said fine, switch to MODEM
Ok, couldn't connect, but there's no #'s for it anyway, so not a surprise
Said switch to Ethernet
hell started

It connects, eventually, and gets an IP from the router
BUT
it cannot seem to connect to the internet.

I checked the settings, and initially they all looked good (connecting into LaHo as I have been for a long time now), but it still failed. Selected to have it show me 'Details', and the stupid thing has on it's own set the DNS servers to 75.75.75.75 and 76

I have since found that no matter what I do, I canNOT get the damned thing back into manual settings mode for the Ethernet data. I must be missing something somewhere, but it's been making me nuts for over an hour.

I finally pulled the plug on my router, again, and told the Replay to connect...now when it couldn't get an IP from DHCP, the manual settings re-appeared. Rebooted router and manually entered the CORRECT data, AGAIN. Tried to connect...got an IP...
and failed to connect to the internet, again

Checked Details, and the freaking thing is back to 75.75.75.75 and 76

of course, trying to connect again (and again and again), just has it fail again (and.....) and I cannot find WHERE I can tell the stupid thing the CORRECT DNS values...it is defaulting back to MODEM (hence the DNS's I think) and the only choice I'm given is to switch to ethernet, and begin this living hell all over.

If I EXIT the switching to ethernet (because it 'could not access the Internet'), it defaults back to MODEM. If I don't EXIT, it just tries over and over to connect, but cannot (because of the wrong DNS) and will not ever let me manually enter the right DNS unless I unplug ethernet and have it try again...

There seems to have been an easier way to get to manual entry, but since I'm stuck now in MODEM land, I am feeling very twisting in the wind-ish.

What am I missing here?

thx,
David.
Short version:
Device was failing every time it tried to connect to server.
As part of debugging effort, switched to dial-in/MODEM
Switching back to Ethernet and entering all previous IP information fails
->gets an IP, but 'cannot connect to internet' and fails with only options being Details/Try again/Exit

Checking settings (details), I see all the RIGHT information is there..so don't know why it failed to conn to internet
Select 'try again' and it will fail again.
Check settings THIS time, and see it has now auto-loaded the old Replay service DNS data
Any attempt to try again from here fails because it's trying to conn to old Replay DNS...and never gives me an option to enter the RIGHT DNS servers data (again).

Only way I've found to get manual entry page back is to unplug ethernet and try to connect (e.g.: once it gets an IP from DHCP, it locks in the addresses..must FAIL to get an IP to let you get to manual entry page).
Trying to connect after this first failure and fall-back to Replay servers is endless loop of failure
Exiting Ethernet connect defaults back to MODEM.

Stuck
100%

Rebooted (leaning on PWR button), etc. doesn't get me anywhere.
Of course, part of my debugging included wiping the channel guide, so now I have nothing and no way to get data from server since damned thing won't connect at all...

Really really tired of this...
post #3 of 3 Old 12-17-2018, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarl_cabot View Post
Short version:
Device was failing every time it tried to connect to server.
As part of debugging effort, switched to dial-in/MODEM
Switching back to Ethernet and entering all previous IP information fails
->gets an IP, but 'cannot connect to internet' and fails with only options being Details/Try again/Exit

Checking settings (details), I see all the RIGHT information is there..so don't know why it failed to conn to internet
Select 'try again' and it will fail again.
Check settings THIS time, and see it has now auto-loaded the old Replay service DNS data
Any attempt to try again from here fails because it's trying to conn to old Replay DNS...and never gives me an option to enter the RIGHT DNS servers data (again).

Only way I've found to get manual entry page back is to unplug ethernet and try to connect (e.g.: once it gets an IP from DHCP, it locks in the addresses..must FAIL to get an IP to let you get to manual entry page).
Trying to connect after this first failure and fall-back to Replay servers is endless loop of failure
Exiting Ethernet connect defaults back to MODEM.

Stuck
100%

Rebooted (leaning on PWR button), etc. doesn't get me anywhere.
Of course, part of my debugging included wiping the channel guide, so now I have nothing and no way to get data from server since damned thing won't connect at all...

Really really tired of this...
apparently, if you keep beating your head against the wall, eventually something gets knocked loose.

Discovered that while the stupid thing wouldn't ever let me get back to manual ethernet entry by following the prompts, if I told it to connect via ethernet (wherein which I know it will fail if I wait for the timer) but then cancelled the action, the 'switch to ethernet' option was now stored AND I could go to edit manual entry....

The trick is to select ethernet
cancel when it's trying to connect to get an IP from DHCP
then changing ethernet values is available....

it only took 3-5 hours of frustration...

connecting now and pulling down new data.... *sigh*
I win(?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Tags
ethernet , manual ip settings