Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2017, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dying Breed Problem: DVArchive, RTV, and Windows 10

Hi All,

Before I try to explain my current (extremely frustrating) problem, I'm wondering if anyone is still around these parts who might be able to help me sort out a new problem I've run into in Windows 10 using DVArchive to manage an extensive video collection recorded from our ReplayTVs?

I've had no hardware/equipment changes, so all I can think of is that either some Windows 10 update (I've been running Windows 10 since its release) or Java update has caused the current problem I'm having with DVArchive no longer being able to "see" my NAS and therefore the hundreds/thousands of shows I have stored there.

The last part of 2017 has really sucked for me, so the last time I know for sure things were working correctly was the beginning of August.

TIA if anyone is willing to try to help me figure out what's gone wrong with the process I've been using for too many years to count.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm not a Windows guy, but did you try pinging the NAS from Powershell ?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2017, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g501 View Post
I'm not a Windows guy, but did you try pinging the NAS from Powershell ?
Thanks -- I hadn't tried that because the recorded content on the NAS is available for viewing through our HD DVRs (as well as using VLC Media Player on the PCs).

I dusted off my brain & did try pinging the NAS with positive results (4 packets, no loss, less than 1 millisecond travel time). So I don't think that's the problem.

With my limited understanding of how all this worked, it was only through the (extensive) help of good people on forums like this that I ever managed to get this working. With no hardware changes since 8/2/2017 (last known time everything played nicely), I'm really stumped as to why DVArchive no longer can see my NAS. The only reason I personally (my spouse is a different story) use the ReplayTVs at all anymore is to record stuff (mostly documentaries, quilting & cooking shows) I want to keep, and the only way I know to do that is to use DVArchive to move the content from the ReplayTVs to my PC. DVArchive is the management part -- some of the shows "live" on hard drives in my PC & continue to be seen by DVArchive, but the bulk are on the NSA & thus mysteriously haven't been able to be seen by DVArchive since sometime after 8/1/2017. Frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Not a Windows guy either, but I'd take a good guess that Java updates did something, I'm guessing dvarchive hasn't been updated in years, you could try restoring to prior versions of windows if the option is available.
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/comp...11364008291943

On a different note, do you think you'll really re-watch 100/1000's of shows you have recorded? I used to rip all my movies to my HTPC system until I realized it was just a huge waste of time as there is probably less then 5% of those ripped movies that I might watch again.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2018, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

LOL -- I know what you mean, but we actually do re-watch some of the stuff, even years after the fact. And that's the rub: I initially had a rule that I'd delete stuff we'd not referred back to in 6 months or a year (can't recall) . . . and then I needed/wanted something I'd deleted. I only dabble at quilting, for instance, so I've re-watched a lot of the old quilting episodes several times over the years when doing a technique I didn't learn well enough to burn into my brain. I'll admit, though, that I've become much more selective about what I save in more recent years!

And, I've resolved the problem, at least for now. Much to my surprise, it apparently wasn't a Java update that caused the problem but rather the Windows Creator Update that hit my machine on 11/25. It was mostly Greek to me, but taking three of the steps here allowed all my DVA instances to "see" the NAS again. LOL -- it was a great way to spend New Year's Eve!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Java updates

I generally hate idle speculation in a context like this, but....

I am running DVArchive on a fairly new Mac OS X machine with a fairly up-to-date Java, so I would be surprised if the Java version is the problem. If you want to rule that out for sure, note that multiple versions of Java can usually be installed on the same machine, at least in the OS X & Unix worlds, and I suspect for Windows also. You could thus install and old Java (say 6, which definitely worked with DVArchive) and have a look.

I would have bet on a firewall/anti-virus issue, but can't offer anything useful. If you want to have a quick look-see you might briefly and temporarily turn the firewall or antivirus. See: http://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...nection-issues
post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
On a different note, do you think you'll really re-watch 100/1000's of shows you have recorded? I used to rip all my movies to my HTPC system until I realized it was just a huge waste of time as there is probably less then 5% of those ripped movies that I might watch again.
I actually used to run TV shows out to DVD. (RTV to WiRNS to MPEG-2 via RTVTools to DVD). While there were some movies and documentaries I go back and watch, there are a lot of TV shows I have not gone back to. Now, I simply watch and remember.... So I get the waste of time, because trimming out commercials and authoring a DVD took considerable amounts of time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs