• 1 Post By Channel99
  • 1 Post By BiggAW
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 126
If needed, what's a good replacement for an AT&T WiFi Gateway Router?

I'm hoping this is the correct sub-forum for a network router question.

We had a little scare this morning as our AT&T WiFi gateway router (I guess it's a modem & router combined?) —[Model# 5268AC FXN ; apparently made by both Pace & Arris for AT&T] —[everything running on 5 GHz, except for all phones running on 2.4 GHz] that's never had any glitch of any kind— went offline, and wouldn't come back up after the reset button was pressed, first once then repeatedly, until after I unplugged the power twice while repeatedly pressing the reset button. I thought it had died. And yes I'm realising I should've probably posted this on some network/router typ of sub-forum. And okay, I might've had a few too many cups of coffee this morning!

Anyways, it got me wondering, if our router did kick the bucket, and our AT&T plan didn't cover a replacement, can anyone share an opinion on what might be a good replacement choice —in the event we did need to replace our WiFi gateway router— from e.g. bestbuy or amazon etc? Thanks very much!

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-29-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
IMO... contact your provider to:
A) determine if it's configured properly after the reset or has died.
B) determine if you own or lease the equipment
C) ask what they recommend because if you have problems in future, they will still be able to provide adequate support.

EDIT:
Lay off the caffeine.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2606 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
FWIW, we have Comcrap and I refuse to use/rent their krappy gateway so I just purchased a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem and a Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi router. Works perfectly with excellent WiFi coverage, speed, and stability.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don’t believe there are any third party at&t u-verse internet gateways.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
IMO... contact your provider to:
A) determine if it's configured properly after the reset or has died.
B) determine if you own or lease the equipment
C) ask what they recommend because if you have problems in future, they will still be able to provide adequate support.
EDIT:
Lay off the caffeine.
Thanks Ratman. It does appear to be configured properly as everything at the Gateway Status IP page is 👍 at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
We own this WiFi Gateway (that's what AT&T calls it), and yes they do have several support & troubleshooting, plus AT&T Community Forum pages concerning all the various gateway routers. As well, AT&T tech support and their technicians have been very helpful in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
FWIW, we have Comcrap and I refuse to use/rent their krappy gateway so I just purchased a Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem and a Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi router. Works perfectly with excellent WiFi coverage, speed, and stability.
Thanks Otto. That's interesting. I'll check into those if/when ours does give up the ghost. We used to have Comcrap too, up til 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
I don’t believe there are any third party at&t u-verse internet gateways.
Oh really? Thanks David, that's good to know. So just avail fr AT&T then? Well I guess that'll save us from having to shop for one.

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies and input.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 01:16 PM

http://www.amazon.com/U-verse-Gatew.../dp/B0779ML8SS

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

@Ratman

Thanks again Ratman, for that. Now wondering if I should order it so we have a spare, or if there are any/many better alternatives?

Well after reading the reviews I think I'll forget about that; they couldn't hardly be any worse.

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-29-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 02:21 PM

Sure! There are always alternatives. It depends on your technical needs/desires and how much you want to spend.

post #9 of 14 Old 12-29-2018, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
I'm hoping this is the correct sub-forum for a network router question.

We had a little scare this morning as our AT&T WiFi gateway router (I guess it's a modem & router combined?) —[Model# 5268AC FXN ; apparently made by both Pace & Arris for AT&T] —[everything running on 5 GHz, except for all phones running on 2.4 GHz] that's never had any glitch of any kind— went offline, and wouldn't come back up after the reset button was pressed, first once then repeatedly, until after I unplugged the power twice while repeatedly pressing the reset button. I thought it had died. And yes I'm realising I should've probably posted this on some network/router typ of sub-forum. And okay, I might've had a few too many cups of coffee this morning!

Anyways, it got me wondering, if our router did kick the bucket, and our AT&T plan didn't cover a replacement, can anyone share an opinion on what might be a good replacement choice —in the event we did need to replace our WiFi gateway router— from e.g. bestbuy or amazon etc? Thanks very much!
You might want to try another wall-wart power supply with your unit. If the current one is marginal, it could create those symptoms.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
You might want to try another wall-wart power supply with your unit. If the current one is marginal, it could create those symptoms.
Hey thank you, Channel99 ! I hadn't thought of that, and probably wouldn't've ever suspected that. The problem hasn't reoccurred, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 186
You need to go through AT&T to replace VDSL stuff. They don't allow third party equipment, as it has to work with 17a vectoring and pair bonding. I believe the NVG589 is the current best modem/router, unless there's something even newer.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
You need to go through AT&T to replace VDSL stuff. They don't allow third party equipment, as it has to work with 17a vectoring and pair bonding. I believe the NVG589 is the current best modem/router, unless there's something even newer.
Thanks a lot, BiggAW! As I type I'm reading "What is VDSL?" . . And when I'm thru I plan to move on to '17a vectoring' and then 'pair bonding'!! Thanks also for the NVG589 tip.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-30-2018, 03:11 PM

The current model router that you use is the same as the one in the link I provided. It supports VDSL and all the "goodies".

If you need a new modem/gateway/wireless router in the future, check with your provider prior to purchase to be sure they will activate and support..
WinMod21 likes this.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-31-2018, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
The current model router that you use is the same as the one in the link I provided. It supports VDSL and all the "goodies". If you need a new modem/gateway/wireless router in the future, check with your provider prior to purchase to be sure they will activate and support..
Thanks again, Ratman. And I hear ya, as several user reviews for both, the one you kindly linked and the NVG589, report not working with the dark force. All's well here since the power reboot. 🤞
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical