Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-24-2018, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anything else to try: Red vertical lines

I have a 46" Samsung TV, 9 years old, UN46B6000FXZA. One day a couple weeks ago, it suddenly developed mostly red or white/pale pink, vertical lines (this happened right when the TV was turned on; it was perfectly fine when turned off previously). They fade and reappear; sometimes covering the whole screen, sometimes just a portion, sometimes not at all. Brightness varies as well. They have an affinity for text on the screen, like station identification: Much more likely for the lines to appear/be brighter directly in line with screen text. This is definitely the TV, they appear when there is no input at all. I have the service manual.

Things we've done: Replace mainboard, replace TCON, reset all accessible cables. It was suggested that I "swap" the two ribbon cables along the bottom of the T-CON, but I cannot figure out how to safely disconnect them from the LCD. Does the narrow shield over top come off? How? I didn't want to mess around too much since, you know, ribbon cables. Pic included.

The other item it's been suggested I replace is the LVDS cable, but at $67 when I've already replaced two working boards... looking for advice as to how likely it is that this problem is the cable, rather than the panel buffers or LCD itself, both of which I'm led to understand are not replaceable.

I'm not a TV expert, but have been fixing computers for over 20 years, and what is a TV these days, but a specialized computer?

Any advice welcome. I really like this TV, and really don't want to buy a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tcon.png
Views:	18
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	2500498  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-24-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
I would post your question in the LCD Forum that is specific for your tv and model, not here. You'll probably get better responses.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-24-2018, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I would post your question in the LCD Forum that is specific for your tv and model, not here. You'll probably get better responses.
Thanks, however, there doesn't seem to be one for my particular TV (which may be a result of my searches). It's a UN46B6000FVXZA, and I searched down to "Samsung UNxxB" and there were zero hits. Advice appreciated, I haven't been here in a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-24-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiC View Post
Thanks, however, there doesn't seem to be one for my particular TV (which may be a result of my searches). It's a UN46B6000FVXZA, and I searched down to "Samsung UNxxB" and there were zero hits. Advice appreciated, I haven't been here in a while...
Start a new thread in the LCD Forum and see what happens. Sounds to me like a new tv may be in your future.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-24-2018, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Start a new thread in the LCD Forum and see what happens. Sounds to me like a new tv may be in your future.
Yea, me too, but I love this old TV so want to make sure I've exhausted all possibilities before buying new. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
^^^

Anyone with advice, please click on the OP's post in Displays.

http://01966633.com/forum/166-l...l#post57322046

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 12-25-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Technical