2Likes
  • 2 Post By pkeegan

post #1 of 6 Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI over Cat 5e cable ?

I am having a house built in Naples, Florida with two in-wall HDMI wires . One wire is 5-6 ft. long and the other is about 12 ft. . The drywall is scheduled for installation in a week or two . I inspected the HDMI wire installed by the builder and they are Honeywell 6330 Cat 5e wires . I will be using the HDMI wire for HD signals up to 1080P .

Are these 5e computer cables sufficient to deliver 1080P signals ? Is 5e cable similar to the wire used on HDMI cables sold at retailers like Best Buy ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I would have had them pull CAT 6 cable instead, but 1080p will run fine on CAT 5e. However, you will need an HDBaseT solution to use those wires, which has costs associated with it. Given the runs are rather short, it would make more sense to just run terminated HDMI cables into the back of an HDMI face plate.

Best thing you could do when running HDMI cable in the wall, frankly, is to install conduit/smurf tube and run the cable through it. Standards change all the time, and cables that work for 1080p may not work for high frame rate 4K signals. If you have conduit, it's really simple to pull out an old cable and pull a new one through. If you don't have conduit, it's virtually impossible without breaking into the sheetrock.

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2018, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked: 1771
+1. Conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling. Video standards are going to continue to change and the connection technology will always lag behind. If you have the option, which it sounds like you have, run a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit, along with a pull string for future pulls.

As far as CAT-6 cabling goes, I would install solid core CAT-6 cable (not CCA and not CAT-6 ethernet patch cable). Solid core CAT-6 is not terminated and usually comes in spools of 25' lengths with a wire gauge of AWG23. You can terminate it with punchdown keystone jacks to extend an ethernet connection or use HDBT to terminate for an HDMI connection. If you decide not to use CAT-6 cabling, I'd just give yourself enough of a service loop to pull and use if you choose to do so down the road. I use solid core CAT-6 to extend my ethernet connection so I can hardwire my HTS's. Works perfect for streaming 4k HDR.

1080 is not a problem for most cable runs but if you're going to plan on upgrading in the future, install conduit and just be mindful of the bend radius.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I agree with the conduit suggestion. HDMI spec is changing so new cables may be needed in the near future to support new features. Also the cables you already have being installed, what happens if they fail or don't work? With he prices dropping on 4K TVs don't you think you might upgrade? Installing conduit could make your life easier in the future.
DrDon and sneals2000 like this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #5 of 6 Old 12-15-2018, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Totally agree with others. Definitely fit conduit/trunking and pull strings to future proof your install.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-18-2018, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the responses and the conduit recommendations .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical