post #391 of 403 Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
I will not give the OP's handle because it was so long ago and also protection to the person who did the hard work and said how he did it.

I do not want to weaken the premise that your location is not given even though you enter an exact address in the link. It was a rare case that had us dumfounded and was going along for too long. Most people are more forthcoming with necessary information.

SHF
Oh, OK; I thought I missed a recent request for help.

I also have worked on reception problems when the poster wanted an answer but was not willing to give the information needed to solve the problem. That's when I take the crystal ball out of the cabinet.

I have had 10 years of practice figuring out a poster's location so that I can give him good advice. There is more than one way to do it, but they are all tedious and require extra time. I try to adhere to the same guidelines used by TVFool to protect the identity of a poster and only show compromising information with his permission.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 403 Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I'm afraid I may not be understanding. Looking at the examples of 'report not accurate' and the correct report - besides the sorting of the channels the values for each station are the same in the attached pics. Just an error? Or am I not looking at something correctly? If the lesson is to just use both checkboxes and the pic attach is in error -- that's fine. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't missing an important part that I should be learning.
The point of a "strength search" is to have the channels listed in decreasing order of strength, just as they are in a TVFool report.
Quote:
I'll also have to look a little more into dBm vs dBuv/m. I noticed that if I do the TVStudy and change the power units - I must get a double-conversion. :-)
Yes, Trip also told me to leave the Power Units at the dBm default (AFTER I tried it and showed it to him.....I should add that to the image).

Quote:
I suppose the important column to consider is the signal margin which would indicate a decent probability of success (which matches my experience as long as I'm pointing the right way).
That is exactly why Trip added that column.

Oh, I also had to change the distance to 80 miles for your report to show WDAZ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RabbitEarsTVStudyEntryOK_2.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	2444226  

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 08-20-2018 at 08:37 PM.
post #393 of 403 Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post

I also have worked on reception problems when the poster wanted an answer but was not willing to give the information needed to solve the problem. That's when I take the crystal ball out of the cabinet.

I have had 10 years of practice figuring out a poster's location so that I can give him good advice. ...
I failed to help one person even after shifting to e-mail and getting his exact location.

He was blocked from the main RF 7 transmitter by lots of hills. OK, switch to RF 35 which he should have a LOS. The valley he was in appeared to have a path in that direction, but NO, low hills blocked that low power transmitter.

I think the last advice I gave was to get an antenna cut to RF 7 and use the amp he had and try all different 360 degree directions.

Sadly no reply if he ever had any success. I had rode my motorcycle many times down that South Eastern Western valley and I never realized the exact direction I was traveling.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 08-20-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 403 Old 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you for the details. I also look forward to the report of the results, learn from it, and consider it payment for my time and effort, but it isn't always forthcoming.

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 08-20-2018 at 08:44 PM.
post #395 of 403 Old 08-21-2018, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I'm afraid I may not be understanding. Looking at the examples of 'report not accurate' and the correct report - besides the sorting of the channels the values for each station are the same in the attached pics. Just an error? Or am I not looking at something correctly? If the lesson is to just use both checkboxes and the pic attach is in error -- that's fine. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't missing an important part that I should be learning.

I'll also have to look a little more into dBm vs dBuv/m. I noticed that if I do the TVStudy and change the power units - I must get a double-conversion. :-) If I do just the strength search, I get the 'LOS', '2Edge', etc ... but not with the inclusion of TVStudy. No biggie - as the report is pretty pessimistic no matter which one on WDAZ. I suppose the important column to consider is the signal margin which would indicate a decent probability of success (which matches my experience as long as I'm pointing the right way).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
The point of a "strength search" is to have the channels listed in decreasing order of strength, just as they are in a TVFool report.
Yes, Trip also told me to leave the Power Units at the dBm default (AFTER I tried it and showed it to him.....I should add that to the image).
Seeing this discussion, I added a temporary override this morning. If the TVStudy box is checked, it now overrides both the Power Units selection and the Strength Search checkbox to make sure it gives the correct result in the interim.

The lack of LOS/2Edge/etc. is because the TVStudy result doesn't provide that information by default. One thing on my to-do list is to see if it can be dug out of it somehow.

- Trip
rabbit73 and Brian in CT like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #396 of 403 Old 08-21-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Seeing this discussion, I added a temporary override this morning. If the TVStudy box is checked, it now overrides both the Power Units selection and the Strength Search checkbox to make sure it gives the correct result in the interim.

The lack of LOS/2Edge/etc. is because the TVStudy result doesn't provide that information by default. One thing on my to-do list is to see if it can be dug out of it somehow.

- Trip
Thank you for adding the safety net/life preserver, Trip.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #397 of 403 Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2544 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
TMO has been incredibly aggressive ever since John Legere took the helm. I think it's caught the others a bit unawares. There they were, all comfortable with the status quo, and along comes this noisy kid

It's been really good for their customers. Though I suppose if we weren't TMO customers and we'd be getting the shaft in the repack, I'd have little love for them. As it is, though, we'll probably see both better wireless coverage and better DTV reception as a result of it.
Fans of T-Mobile will likely be disappointed to learn that the company that shook up the industry by ditching contracts and lowering costs is now doing its best AT&T impression (AT&T just merged with the Time-Warner media mega-corp) in pursuit of a disastrous mega-merger with Sprint. Turning the AT&T/Verizon duopoly into a triopoly (is that a word? It is now) may help the executives of T-Mobile and Sprint, but it won't help either company's customers. Sprint isn't that bad but it's pretty much an iron law that as companies get bigger, they get less customer-oriented.

It'll be even worse for their employees, many of whom will probably be laid off as "redundant" in the newly merged corporation.

The merged company will still have the 600 MHz band, but I feel even less warm & fuzzy about it than I did when it belonged to the best (IMO) wireless company.
post #398 of 403 Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Fans of T-Mobile will likely be disappointed to learn that the company that shook up the industry by ditching contracts and lowering costs is now doing its best AT&T impression (AT&T just merged with the Time-Warner media mega-corp) in pursuit of a disastrous mega-merger with Sprint.
Not necessarily. Better that than the reverse: Sprint borging T-Mobile, which is what SoftBank's Masayoshi Son has been trying to accomplish just about ever since he wrapped-up his acquisition of Sprint.

Quote:
Turning the AT&T/Verizon duopoly into a triopoly (is that a word? It is now) may help the executives of T-Mobile and Sprint, but it won't help either company's customers.
We don't know that. The merged entity will now be owned primarily, and run, by TMO and Legere.

Quote:
Sprint isn't that bad but it's pretty much an iron law that as companies get bigger, they get less customer-oriented.
Perhaps that's true, but I disagree with your assessment of Sprint. We used to be with Sprint. Sprint was, once-upon-a-time, what TMO now is. Somewhere Sprint lost its way. About the time of the Nextel acquisition. They became a small image of the two big guys. That works if you're a big guy. Sprint wasn't. All it took was somebody like Legere to come along and Sprint's fate was sealed. It was only a matter of time.

Quote:
The merged company will still have the 600 MHz band, but I feel even less warm & fuzzy about it than I did when it belonged to the best (IMO) wireless company.
Do you mean Sprint? Hardly. Once they were, but that was a long, long time ago.
aaronwt likes this.
post #399 of 403 Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I disagree with your assessment of Sprint. We used to be with Sprint. Sprint was, once-upon-a-time, what TMO now is. Somewhere Sprint lost its way. About the time of the Nextel acquisition. They became a small image of the two big guys.
Which, I fear, is exactly what will happen to the newly merged T-Mobile/Sprint, and for the same reason. Once you get to a certain size, the pressures to constantly up your stock price lead to the same result. It doesn't matter how cool a guy the CEO is.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to be wrong about this. But I can't think of a recent merger that worked out well for the customers. You mentioned Sprint/Nextel; how about AT&T/Time-Warner? AT&T/DirecTV? Comcast/NBC Universal? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
post #400 of 403 Old 09-07-2018, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Which, I fear, is exactly what will happen to the newly merged T-Mobile/Sprint, and for the same reason. Once you get to a certain size, the pressures to constantly up your stock price lead to the same result. It doesn't matter how cool a guy the CEO is.
We shall see. They borged Metro PCS w/o it affecting them.

I hope they don't wreck themselves. Then I'd have to turn to *shudder* the thing that calls itself "AT&T".
post #401 of 403 Old 11-23-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thread's been kind of quiet, but over Thanksgiving I learned that KWTV/9 in Oklahoma City has moved from RF 39 to their post-repack channel (RF 25). I had to show my mother-in-law how to rescan channels on her TV. Luckily, her TV is the same make as mine (LG).

Is OKC in Phase 1 or did KWTV move early?
post #402 of 403 Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
KWTV's rescan date, as far as I am aware, is 11/27. It got moved out of Phase 2 and is the only OKC station in Phase 1.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #403 of 403 Old 11-24-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The rescan went OK and found KWTV on RF 25. I think they were broadcasting on both channels to give folks a chance to rescan early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical