Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Could really use a second opinion.......

I currently own a 60" Panasonic Viera Plasma GT series,Ive had it for going on 5 years,purchased it for a price i couldn't pass up. Here lately I've been getting the itch to look into a 4K TV as I have kids,which means I have gaming systems such as the Xbox One X,Ps4 Pro,etc., basically consoles that can utilize a 4K display. I'm kind of on the fence at the moment;on one hand my Panasonic has an amazing picture,has been nothing short of a phenomenal TV,never seen one that displays black as dark as this one does. It's almost like,as long as it works perfect and I'm happy with it,why even worry about replacing It?

On the other hand, I've had the same TV for a little while now,and the house we live in now has a slightly larger den,and my eyesight isn't getting any better,and I've always had a little regret that I didn't go with the 65" model,so now might be as good a time as any to upgrade in size. Also, the prices of 4K TV's has dropped substantially so now would be as good as any time to make the leap to 4K.

Honestly, I just can't decide lol. I'd love to see what my shiny new Xbox One X looks like in 4K,but is it really worth upgrading TV's just for gaming? I really would like to be able to use it for more than just that but not sure a while lot of other sources of media really use much 4K as of now. The TV I had in mind is a Vizio M series 65". After researching,it seems to be about the best fit for me as far as a 4K TV in my price range. CNet seems to be pretty favorable of this tv and gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

I also have been researching what I should ask for my current TV, if I do go thru with this. I was initially thinking somewhere around the $500 price range as it is 5 years old,but after looking on Ebay,I see people listing very similar TV's upwards of $2,000!! Wasn't expecting to see that honestly.It leads me to believe that maybe I have an amazing product already and I may be disappointed with the Vizio,even though it's much newer technology and seems to be highly regarded. I realistically don't expect to get $2,000 for mine,although if I had an offer that high for it,would probably be hard for me to turn it down. So in your opinion,would it be worth the risk of buying a 4K TV,or just hold onto what I already have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would just keep what you have as from what I've seen HDR isn't all cracked up to what it's supposed to be. Most of it looks worse than SDR to me.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-22-2018, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a 42" Panasonic plasma that I've had for years and it wont die. I sit only 7.5 feet away from it. I had the itch to get a larger 55" LCD 4K and picked up a LG http://www.costco.com/LG-55%22-Clas...100362946.html . It was nice having the larger screen but watching the Olympics I noticed the Motion Blur right away, unacceptable. The new LG was really clear on some things but not so good on others. It took me an hour of fiddling with the new one to box it up and set my plasma back up, I will return it today. I will keep using my Panasonic until it dies, the way its going it might outlast me. So the LCD was a big disappointment for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Hard to beat a plasma for excellent motion.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 424
It will be hard to beat your current tv for motion or black levels. I happen to think that vizio makes some pretty good tvs, especially in their upper tier lines. Have you gone out to look at current models to see what you think of the picture, especially things like motion blur, which some people are more annoyed by than others. Your best bet would probably be a OLED, however currently they are pretty pricey especially if you want something above the bottom tier bargin models. TCL has got some pretty good reviews for their Roku Tv's, and as I said I am partial to Vizio.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-27-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A Bird in the Hand...

Rolltide1980 - In my opinion, recommending a replacement for a well-performing Panasonic Viera Plasma GT series TV is just not logical. I've got a Samsung 60" Plasma set that I just cherish. And I've yet to see an LED (LCD) set, at any resolution, whose picture quality is good enough to replace my plasma. Once the better 4K OLED sets come within the reach of my budget, chances are I'll go for one of them. On the horizon are 8K glasses-free 3D TVs (called Ultra-D). Ultra-D will take home viewing to a whole new level. But for now, I'd leave well enough alone. Keep saving so you can buy bigger and get the other features that might be out of reach right now.

You could always "try-out" a smaller 4K set for gaming, and keep the Plasma for other sources. There's lots of good 4K sets, at smaller sizes, that would give you a chance to try the technology, without putting your next big set out of reach financially. Don't think of it as a Plasma replacement, look at it as just another piece of your home entertainment system.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide1980 View Post
I currently own a 60" Panasonic Viera Plasma GT series,Ive had it for going on 5 years,purchased it for a price i couldn't pass up. Here lately I've been getting the itch to look into a 4K TV as I have kids,which means I have gaming systems such as the Xbox One X,Ps4 Pro,etc., basically consoles that can utilize a 4K display. I'm kind of on the fence at the moment;on one hand my Panasonic has an amazing picture,has been nothing short of a phenomenal TV,never seen one that displays black as dark as this one does. It's almost like,as long as it works perfect and I'm happy with it,why even worry about replacing It?

On the other hand, I've had the same TV for a little while now,and the house we live in now has a slightly larger den,and my eyesight isn't getting any better,and I've always had a little regret that I didn't go with the 65" model,so now might be as good a time as any to upgrade in size. Also, the prices of 4K TV's has dropped substantially so now would be as good as any time to make the leap to 4K.

Honestly, I just can't decide lol. I'd love to see what my shiny new Xbox One X looks like in 4K,but is it really worth upgrading TV's just for gaming? I really would like to be able to use it for more than just that but not sure a while lot of other sources of media really use much 4K as of now. The TV I had in mind is a Vizio M series 65". After researching,it seems to be about the best fit for me as far as a 4K TV in my price range. CNet seems to be pretty favorable of this tv and gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

I also have been researching what I should ask for my current TV, if I do go thru with this. I was initially thinking somewhere around the $500 price range as it is 5 years old,but after looking on Ebay,I see people listing very similar TV's upwards of $2,000!! Wasn't expecting to see that honestly.It leads me to believe that maybe I have an amazing product already and I may be disappointed with the Vizio,even though it's much newer technology and seems to be highly regarded. I realistically don't expect to get $2,000 for mine,although if I had an offer that high for it,would probably be hard for me to turn it down. So in your opinion,would it be worth the risk of buying a 4K TV,or just hold onto what I already have?
I think you would be somewhat disappointed with the Vizio for anything but straight on viewing, compared to the plasma.AN OLED would be a better choice.
I have a calibrated ST60, love this set.Most of our viewing is OTA TV,Netflix,Amazon and some BLU-Rays.To me the picture is amazing!The only thing I don't like about it is the heat it radiates.I like many, am dazzled when I see the OLED displays(with their content at stores).
I've also been thinking of replacing(moving to another room) the ST60 and getting a 65"LG B7 or C7.There are some pretty good deals as LG will be shipping the 8 series soon.Unless I find an absolute steal of a deal,I will wait until late this year(Black Friday) or this time next year.
If I were to try to sell it now,I believe I would be lucky to get 500.00 for it.The people on Ebay,Craigslist,etc. asking 2000.00 for these are not selling them.Even Panasonic VT an ZT are not selling for that much(maybe 1000.00).If someone offered me 1500.00-2000.00 for my ST,I would grab it and run to OLED.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2018, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Eyesight issues would be good reason to not worry about larger or more pixels. Glasses would be so much more helpful.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Eyesight issues would be good reason to not worry about larger or more pixels unless you sit quite far away. Size may then help a bit. Glasses would be so much more helpful.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
I think you would be somewhat disappointed with the Vizio for anything but straight on viewing, compared to the plasma.AN OLED would be a better choice.
I have a calibrated ST60, love this set.Most of our viewing is OTA TV,Netflix,Amazon and some BLU-Rays.To me the picture is amazing!The only thing I don't like about it is the heat it radiates.I like many, am dazzled when I see the OLED displays(with their content at stores).
I've also been thinking of replacing(moving to another room) the ST60 and getting a 65"LG B7 or C7.There are some pretty good deals as LG will be shipping the 8 series soon.Unless I find an absolute steal of a deal,I will wait until late this year(Black Friday) or this time next year.
If I were to try to sell it now,I believe I would be lucky to get 500.00 for it.The people on Ebay,Craigslist,etc. asking 2000.00 for these are not selling them.Even Panasonic VT an ZT are not selling for that much(maybe 1000.00).If someone offered me 1500.00-2000.00 for my ST,I would grab it and run to OLED.
TCL makes a VERY good tv for the price and as far as I'm aware, all of their offerings have the excellent motion handling of the 43S405 that I'm currently using for gaming and as a computer monitor. Only lcd tv I've ever used with low enough motion blur so mouse movements and scrolling don't give me a headache with annoying trails.

Contrast is decent but obviously not near your plasma. Step up to the p-series and I'd wager it's pretty near even in SDR. You're gaining HDR, 4k and significantly lower input lag for gaming. Your Xbox One X will shine (seriously, the thing punches way above it's weight and I'm constantly impressed even compared to my GTX 1080 equipped PC). Apparently, the 2018 P series has marginally worse contrast than the 2017 (which isn't offered in 65 inch). I'm not aware what other picture quality advancements may have been made to make up for it.

All that said, you can get a 65 inch OLED for much less than you think. After credit card price protection, you're talking ~$1500-1750 depending on your card's level of matching ($250-500 usually). Buy from a decent online retailer for around $1900 or 2k and submit price match against one of the shady sites that offer 'you'll never actually get it at these rock bottom prices'

Walmart had B7 refurb models for $1300 plus tax and $99 shipping if I remember correctly. Had to keep calling to make sure the freight company wasn't going to take 3 + weeks to deliver but it got here eventually and was lightly used. My dad was very happy. I was almost disappointed I didn't buy one for myself but I got a new B6 55 inch for $1050 a year and half ago or so and have a 60VT60 with ~7k hours I got off Craiglist almost 2 years ago for $500 (had some IR issues but no permanent burn in).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!