1Likes
  • 1 Post By sage11x

post #1 of 6 Old 04-22-2016, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panny TH-65PF20U or a new 65" LCD TV?

So it looks like there might be a TH-65PF20U used TV i can get for around $300-$400
Not sure if its worth getting or getting a new 65" LCD/LED 4k TV.

there is no stand so i will have to figure out how to get a stand or wall mount. It also takes a lot of power from the specs. But its fairly cheap and should provide a great picture? I couldn't find a lot of/any reviews on it. seems to be from 2010 or 2011 i think around the time the panasonic vt25 plasmas came around.

Ideally i want an 65" OLED but thats way out of my price range.

Options:
buy the TH-65PF20U and wait til OLED drops
or
Spend about $1k on a 65" LCD TV and wait til OLED drops even more?
or
Wait for a good deal on the Vizio P series and forget about OLED

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-24-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Look for 55 oled.1080p if possible. 2nd choice used plasma.Lcd at your budget is not woth spending hard earned cash. Whats your current display?

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u(r.i.p)Samsung 51f4500
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #3 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post
Look for 55 oled.1080p if possible. 2nd choice used plasma.Lcd at your budget is not woth spending hard earned cash. Whats your current display?
I currently have a Panasonic 55 inch st30, its working fine but want to get a larger tv.
i sit about 15 feet away and the 55 inches is feeling too small.

i was thinking about the 55 inch OLED (hoping it goes on sale for $1300 or less) but feel its too small. and 65 OLED is too expensive.

thanks for your feedback.

Has anyone compared an older Plasma TV to newer LCD Tvs? is it not worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would get a projector lcd isnt worth it

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u(r.i.p)Samsung 51f4500
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #5 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

The TV would be in the family room so lots of light during the day. So projector might not work. Also not sure how much glare would come from the TH-65PF20U
post #6 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 1864
That's a good price for what amounts to a professional signage display but I'd advise some caution. First of all: how has it been treated and how long has it been in use? Used plasmas (especially business displays) may have significant uneven wear / burn in if they were used to display something with a static logo or even a short promo loop on repeat. Second: these pro displays are monitors NOT televisions which means they often lack niceties you might take for granted. I see the PF20U has speakers at least but it has a total of one HDMI port and BNC connectors for component video. This means you'll need HDMI switching to plug more than one thing in at a time and you'll need adapters for all your analog sources. The pro series are also built like tanks-- the 65" weighs 121 lbs so you'll need a hefty wall mount.

Not trying to talk you out of it just trying to make you aware of some issues you may run into.

Large LCDs are no cake walk either and the problems that plague LCD tend to be an even bigger issue as the size increases. Be wary of uniformity, viewing angle and pixel pitch as you scale up. Some cheaper makes have terrible uniformity, poor viewing angles and I've even seen a fair amount of SDE and DSE on modern displays which is pretty much unforgivable at this point. I tend to favor IPS as the viewing angles are better even if the contrast/black levels suck (it's LCD so I'd rather be able to see it from the side than get slightly better blacks which are still far inferior to plasma/OLED). The good news is LCD continues to advance and many of the new models have 4k resolution which really does nothing for you at flatscreen sizes but at least solves the issue of screen door effect. I've also seen a number of models go back to backlit or 'direct' lit displays which tend to have better uniformity than the ultra slim edgelit models.

Ultimately, for size you want front projection. But that too has it's compromises. There are models that will perform well in a room with the lights on and those that will perform well in a batcave but rarely will one do both. My DLP projector gets just bright enough I can leave a couple lights on and looks convincing enough in the dark but it lacks the brightness of an LCD during the day and the black levels at night.
cardkid1 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!