• 1 Post By pharmboy2010
  • 3 Post By gr1mm3h

post #1 of 8 Old 09-13-2015, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Should I upgrade?

Greeting all -- I have owned a Panasonic 60" GT series plasma for almost 2 yrs now. To be honest, yes the picture quality is beautiful I used it for Blu Ray and some FIOS HD movie watching. However as a member of many streaming services the built in apps that come with the TV is somewhat less than average for me. I have long waited for a software update but it seems it will not happen. I am now considering upgrading to the Samsung UHDTV as prices are coming down to an acceptable level. I have (3) other Samsung LED smart TV's and truthfully their software for their apps is above average (quite good in my opinion). What/how should I go about selling my Panasonic unit? Or should I just reconsider and not sell it so I will not later regret it? I would be happy to hear your comments, thank you all.

[SIZE]1[/SIZE]...love life -- listen to music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-13-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 212
LED technology has inherent flaws, even with the upgrade to 4K resolution. So if you prefer better blacks, contrast, side angle viewing, and less motion blur, then I would keep your excellent Panasonic plasma as long as it is functioning. Or risk clouding, flashlighting, light bleed and various uniformity issues, along with a poor viewing angle and more motion blur.

Some LED black levels are now good, but too many other flaws. I looked at Best Buy at the Samsung JS8500 and 9000. Looked sleek and sexy, but too many inherent issues. Even an honest salesman who was supposed to push Samsung actually recommended the LG EC9300 1080p OLED as his top choice. And LG now has some 4K OLEDs slowly starting to become a bit more affordable.

So I would consider an OLED as the best replacement choice for plasma. Meanwhile, just add a Roku box or Amazon Fire to your Panasonic GT plasma and you have an upgraded Smart TV right there.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-13-2015, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Samsung plasma that I love and just can not find an LED that satisfies me. If I were in your shoes, I would a) get a Roku, etc. to just add to the GT, b) find a Samsung plasma or c) get an OLED.
gus738 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-13-2015, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
plz don't buy tv's for "apps".
jp381242, gus738 and dmarqueset like this.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-13-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmboy2010 View Post
I have a Samsung plasma that I love and just can not find an LED that satisfies me. If I were in your shoes, I would a) get a Roku, etc. to just add to the GT, b) find a Samsung plasma or c) get an OLED.
Couldn't agree more.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-14-2015, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Should I upgrade?

Thank you all for your responses. In all likelihood I will NOT replace my Panasonic plasma. As a matter of fact a friend came by over and we watch a Blu Ray movie and he was amazed how lovely the quality was. I guess I almost took it for granted in really how good Panasonic plasma can look!

[SIZE]1[/SIZE]...love life -- listen to music!
post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by htesolutions View Post
Thank you all for your responses. In all likelihood I will NOT replace my Panasonic plasma. As a matter of fact a friend came by over and we watch a Blu Ray movie and he was amazed how lovely the quality was. I guess I almost took it for granted in really how good Panasonic plasma can look!
Awesome! Keep it as long as it last. Nothing like a good Plasma. I have the Panasonic 55GT50. It's not leaving my house unless it walks out on it's own. As others said, get a set-top box for your apps. I would get the new TV though, the Roku second.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2016, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Uhd is barely getting there.... Lower the contrast to acceptable levels turn OFF eco mode.

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u(r.i.p)Samsung 51f4500
XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Tags
panasonic plasma