51Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 5269
Overlord Ultra HD Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews Overlord, a dark thriller that follows a small group of American soldiers that find horror behind enemy lines on the eve of D-Day.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/UHD Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2018
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 109 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-66
Encoding: HEVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 2160p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Pilou Asbaek, John Magaro, Bokeem Woodbine
Directed by: Julius Avery
Music by: Jed Kurzel
Written by: Billy Ray, Mark L. Smith
Region Code: A

Release Date: February 19, 2019

"What Lies Beneath"

Synopsis:

“Nothing can prepare you for the mind-blowing mayhem that is Overlord, an insanely twisted thrill ride about a team of American paratroopers who come face-to-face with Nazi super-soldiers unlike the world has ever seen.” – Paramount Home Media Distribution

My Take:

On the eve of D-Day, American paratroopers drop behind enemy lines to penetrate the walls of a fortified church and destroy a radio transmitter. As the soldiers approach their target, they soon begin to realize that there's more going on in the Nazi-occupied village than a simple military operation. Making their way to an underground lab, the outnumbered men stumble upon a sinister experiment that forces them into a vicious battle against an army of the undead.

I knew essentially nothing about Overlord as I sat down to review it. I think I had seen a teaser trailer once but, that was about it. Let me say that this is B-Movie cinema at its best. There is a multi-genre vibe that is nestled comfortably against a simple plot that asks little of the audience other than to sit back and let it wash over you. What Overlord lacks in complexity it more than makes up for with its tightly focused narrative that unleashes oodles of gory action, wink and nod situations and the fulfillment of its promise to provide a solid bit of escapism that I had loads of fun with. I look forward to giving Overlord another spin!

Replay Value: 4 Stars

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence, disturbing images, language, and brief sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

UHD Presentation(HDR-10): 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

UHD Presentation (Dolby Vision): 94

• HDR: Dark Highlights:
  • HDR: Bright Highlights:
  • HDR: Expanded Color:
  • Resolution:
  • Visual Impact:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 96

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

Overlord comes to Ultra HD Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 2160pHEVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

Overlord was shot digitally, derived from 3.4K/2.8K sources, and rendered from a 2K DI for its presentation in Ultra HD.

The 1080p transfer looks solid and this Ultra HD rendering takes it up a notch with a discernible increase in detail, and emboldened highlights, both light and dark. Overlord is a primarily dark film and its low-level sequences will test displays that aren’t properly adjusted in terms of brightness levels. It features a multitude of streaming/cascading light and mixed light dark elements, that look terrific. Intimate details can be seen, both in wide-angle and close-up perspectives, imparting a discernible increase in depth/dimension. The use of CGI imparts some innate softening. I didn’t find it compromising per se, but I wouldn’t describe the overall nature of the video to be razor sharp.

The use of HDR is spot on, driving the story’s use of moody visual cues offset by gleams of light that illuminate dark environs. The opening sequence, aboard the military transport plane, is one of the presentations highlights from an HDR perspective. The finale engagement in the Nazi lab/church is equally impressive as the fiery finish stands out against the gradational blacks, grays and sepia, that make up its interior. Primary colors are scant but, are beautifully rendered when present. The film’s plethora of shadow laden environs offer increased resolve in terms of interstitial details that promote depth of field. Blacks are inky without compromise to fidelity.

Stylistically speaking, Overlord isn’t the type of film that is going to dazzle with its use of visual dynamism or vivid color. There is no question that its Ultra HD presentation appears faithful and makes for a distinct improvement when compared to the 1080p Blu-ray rendering.

Dolby Vision vs HDR-10:

I utilize the TCL 55P607 UHD Dolby Vision HDR flat panel in my review system to enable me to compare the visual quality of titles that contained the Dolby Vision metadata versus its HDR-10 counterpart on the same disc. All titles are first watched via my JVC front projector. I then select specific scenes which are watched on the TCL, first via HDR-10 then via Dolby Vision. The TCL isn’t among the top tier flat panels with DV, however it came recommended by AVS Senior Editor Mark Henninger, and calibrates/performs extremely well for a set at its price point.

* The cumulative A/V score will still be based upon the HDR-10 rating, with the DV rating serving as informational only for now.*

Comparing the DV and HDR-10 presentations for Overlord, I found the HDR renderings to be very close. As I alluded to earlier, this film’s elements aren’t consistently lent to use of overtly rich color, but I did take a close look at the rendering of contrast, chromatic depth and delineation during scenes containing dark and bright highlights. When I switched back and forth between the DV and HDR-10 renderings, I felt that the DV presentation revealed better definition in the darkest portions of the image, and slightly improved specular highlights. These differences aren’t especially noteworthy, but in the grand scheme, made for a more pleasing image. At the end of the day both looked excellent.

Dolby Atmos:

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be of the active variety that made steady use of the platform. Its use of audio objects placed above is a mix atmospherics and discrete effects. This is done to very good effect and creates a tangible level of immersion that coincides with the onscreen events nicely. The opening sequence aboard the military aircraft and what follows, features a host of ambient and swirling effects that travel around the soundstage moving overheard, passing by and coming directly at the listening position. Following that are several set pieces that show off the immersive effect as the blend of atmospherics, weapon fire and smaller object sounds rain down from above. Everything comes together during the third act’s violent encounter that places you inside the action as sounds rotate and revolve around the soundstage from both above and at ear level. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and integration of discrete object placement. This was lots fun and at times made for a kick ass ride.

For those not familiar with the details regarding Ultra HD Blu-ray you can refer to my article that includes some pertinent data on the subject. Here is the link:

Ultra HD Blu-ray Has Come to AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Blu-ray Video:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Overlord comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This film has an intentionally dark and reserved chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and glossy video quality. There are instances where brighter colors/elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images lean toward darker imagery that provides the thematic look intended to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is excellent overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is a solid high definition presentation that looked great on my large screen.

This lossless soundtrack is excellent and features wide dynamic range, superlative clarity and high-level detail. Dialog is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it is located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundstage. Front and rear channel imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable.

The integration of discrete and atmospheric surround sound effects, plays an intricate role in this active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The atmospheric effects associated with the various environments featured in the story sound engagingly real. Low frequency effects are applied authoritatively and underscore the audio presentation with aplomb. Its palpable presence is never in question as it renders refined bass quality that kicks nicely and extends deep enough to engage the room.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1: Overlord Ultra HD Blu-ray
  • Disc 2: Overlord Blu-ray
  • Creation
  • Death Above
  • Death on the Ground
  • Death Below
  • Death No More
  • Brothers in Arms
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Overlord eschews deep, meaningful storytelling, which given its setting is rather interesting and one of the things that I liked about it. It doesn’t play at being anything more than a straight up, bloodletting, B-Movie that requires little from the audience other than to sit back and enjoy the ride. It comes to Blu-ray in this Ultra HD Combo Pack from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring rewarding Ultra HD video, excellent high definition video/audio quality, including a terrific Dolby Atmos immersive mix, and a fan friendly supplemental package. Overlord comes highly recommended for genre fans looking for an entertaining thriller the rocks on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Woah! Saw your scores, watched the trailer . . and this just might be the most excited I've been in forever about a new release movie that I had no clue about. Looks like a fun watch, and dare I say from the trailer, a little of what the Resident Evil movies should've been. Will def have to grab and see for myself.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #3 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
This was lots fun and at times made for a kick ass ride.

It doesn’t play at being anything more than a straight up, bloodletting, B-Movie that requires little from the audience other than to sit back and enjoy the ride.

[/b]

Totally agree, this movie was a blast, saw it with my son and we thought it was nuts. Ive had this on preorder since it went up. I could see this being a cult classic in its genre, campy horror. So looking forward to seeing it at home
tenthplanet and darthray like this.

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 737
I saw this in the theater and really, really, disliked it. I thought it was ugly, mean, and filled with characters devoid of any sort of charisma. I walked out of the theater thinking "wrong director" and "wrong Russell".
Ralph Potts likes this.

Looky here!
post #5 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
Blind buy/pre order. Thanks Ralph!
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Woah! Saw your scores, watched the trailer . . and this just might be the most excited I've been in forever about a new release movie that I had no clue about. Looks like a fun watch, and dare I say from the trailer, a little of what the Resident Evil movies should've been. Will def have to grab and see for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Totally agree, this movie was a blast, saw it with my son and we thought it was nuts. Ive had this on preorder since it went up. I could see this being a cult classic in its genre, campy horror. So looking forward to seeing it at home
Thanks You Ralph, @Ralph Potts for another great and detail review.

Also to you guys, for your impressions.

Had no idea of this movie was coming, since I never hear of-it. Sound like a fun ride with very good score for replay value, and Sound and Video quality
I will pick-it up this week for the 4K version.
Hopefully, the 4K version of "Hunter Killer" also came in at my local Wal Mart, since last week. Only the BD version was available.
http://01966633.com/forum/187-o...ay-review.html

Ray
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 02-04-2019 at 07:25 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Thanks for the review Ralph. Having seen this, I'd add that at the heart of everything going on in this, there is actually a war movie and the horror that goes with it, it's good to see something that's not set in a tank for a change.
Ralph Potts, Rengozu and SteveC356 like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 02-05-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I spoke to soon. I knew this movie was going to be good and glad you enjoyed it.

I cannot wait for the bluray release!!

Thanks for posting a review on this gem!
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.
post #9 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yep.
Blind buy for sure...my kind of film!!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Gentlemen, get your subwoofers ready
Toe, Rengozu and Ralph Potts like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #11 of 31 Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know if the bluray is region free ?
post #12 of 31 Old 02-06-2019, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Told my svs it's coming soon. He smiled back at me...
post #13 of 31 Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 4129
Quote:
This was lots fun and at times made for a kick ass ride.
Great review, Ralph!

I agree wholeheartedly. And the bass was kick ass as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
OVERLORD (2018) iTUNES

Bass Seems a bit excessive, lol
The Dolby Atmos track is gonna be lovely
jcp2, Reddig, tenthplanet and 1 others like this.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #14 of 31 Old 02-07-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 69
By far the best movie I saw in 2018. What a blast Overlord is! Loved it!
post #15 of 31 Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Thanks Ralph. Is it quite a horror movie? I like this thriller but not sure on horror side. I typically don't watch horror movie. Thanks
post #16 of 31 Old 02-07-2019, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Thanks Ralph. Is it quite a horror movie? I like this thriller but not sure on horror side. I typically don't watch horror movie. Thanks
Greetings,

It has elements of horror but, really isn't "scary" type horror and, is more in line with sci-fi/action/thriller.

Regards,
tenthplanet and Roudan like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #17 of 31 Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Nice review Ralph! Ive heard great things about Overlord and I must say your scores are impressive! I will be picking this up ASAP!
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #18 of 31 Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Greetings,

It has elements of horror but, really isn't "scary" type horror and, is more in line with sci-fi/action/thriller.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph, I will pick it up
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #19 of 31 Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Loved this in the cinema, knew it would be a great demo disc, and I was right, the bass is insane

Ralph Potts likes this.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
One of the most entertaining films I've seen in many years. It's like a more adult version of Raiders of The Lost Ark in terms of sheer action packed fun. The opening plane/parachute sequence is incredible.
post #21 of 31 Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 87
i saw this at a crappy dbox theater near palo alto. Super grey blacks and there must have been a candle in place of the bulb. I can't wait to watch this on my rs3000.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Does the 4K disc box also include the Blu-Ray version disc? I would like to compare since I sometimes have trouble seeing the difference between the two, depending on the movie. I have a 140 inch screen and sit about 15 feet away. Same projector as Ralph, JVC RS500, calibrated by Chad B.

This movie can be bought on Amazon next week for $27.95
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #23 of 31 Old 02-12-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
Does the 4K disc box also include the Blu-Ray version disc? I would like to compare since I sometimes have trouble seeing the difference between the two, depending on the movie. I have a 140 inch screen and sit about 15 feet away. Same projector as Ralph, JVC RS500, calibrated by Chad B.

This movie can be bought on Amazon next week for $27.95
Greetings,

Yes, it does.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 31 Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 87
just watched this last night in my theater. Wow, the sound in this movie and its use of atmos is spot on. It made my monolith 15 sing! Despite missing maxfall data, my rs3000 did a superb job with it.
post #25 of 31 Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colozeus View Post
just watched this last night in my theater. Wow, the sound in this movie and its use of atmos is spot on. It made my monolith 15 sing! Despite missing maxfall data, my rs3000 did a superb job with it.
Where did you buy it?
post #26 of 31 Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Can't say I was blown away by this both as a movie and the soundtrack. Yeah it' checks most of the tech specs,but I was just not all that much entertained. The opening scene "D Day" scene was good, but rest was just OK. Maybe I was expecting something else based on the high score. Oh well. Glad they changed the cover photo on the disc cover, the other one with the "Michael Jackson" face is pretty bad! LOL
robnix likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #27 of 31 Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
Where did you buy it?
. The soundtrack is intense
post #28 of 31 Old 02-16-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I bought this on vudu last night and i thought it was great. Fantastic demo material for my system. Especially the parachuting scene. I am surprised i never heard about it in the theaters.
Ralph Potts and SteveC356 like this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 YamahaCX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #29 of 31 Old 02-18-2019, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can anyone confirm the bluray is region free ?
post #30 of 31 Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 322
This really looked spectacular and the Atmos + bass was the real deal.

Definitely enjoyed it more on the 2nd viewing.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2)
Denon X4300H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews