• 2 Post By GPBURNS

post #1 of 28 Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 5269
The Cloverfield Paradox Blu-ray Review

Ralph Potts reviews The Cloverfield Paradox, the third installment in the Cloverfield franchise, which follows a group of scientists that are orbiting Earth, testing a device to solve an energy crisis and, suddenly find themselves face-to-face with a dark alternate reality.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2018
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Gugu Mbatha-Raw, David Oyelowo, Daniel Bruhl, Chris O’Dowd, John Ortiz, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki
Directed by: Julius Onah
Music by: Bear McCreary
Written by:Oren Uziel
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 5, 2019

"The Future Unleashed Everything"

Synopsis:

The Cloverfield Paradox follows a group of scientists orbiting Earth on the brink of a devastating energy war. They prepare to test a device that could provide unlimited power…or trap them in a terrifying alternate reality. – Paramount Home Media Distribution.

My Take:

I enjoyed both Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane. I liked them for different reasons which makes sense as they have decidedly different thematic tones. I honestly hadn’t heard much about The Cloverfield Paradox but, as a fan of both the series and genre, I definitely wanted to see what it had in store.

The screenplay by Oren Uziel tosses quite a bit at the wall. The problem with that is in many cases not all of it sticks, leaving a patchwork of a narrative that can frustrate viewers, especially those that keep track of each of the story’s threads. Starting things off, there is little in the way of development regarding the primary characters aboard the space station, save for one, Eva Hamilton, who we get a bit of background on. Ultimately, she becomes the plot’s focal point, in terms of drama, with the remaining characters onboard having essentially no other ties to the proceedings that take place outside of the group.

This doesn’t really derail things however, with all that eventually happens, providing us with characters that we can care about/connect to would have been nice. I didn’t really care for the rather rushed explanation of the troubles on Earth, the dangers associated with the plan to use the space station to solve them, or the sketchy details surrounding what exactly is occurring when things go bad.

Now, having said all of that, I found myself completely involved in the unfolding events for the first two acts of the film. Sketchy details or not, I waited to see what would happen next and enjoyed the tension/atmosphere. The final act wasn’t quite a compelling, leaving a finale that sort of ties into the original Cloverfield film. I certainly would have preferred a deeper storyline with better fleshed out characters and a more fulfilling finish but, I would be lying if I didn’t say that I found The Cloverfield Paradox to be fairly entertaining. I really enjoyed the cast, despite them not having a wholly gratifying script to work with.

At the end of the day The Cloverfield Paradox is far from perfect but, for me, strung together enough moments to keep me guessing as to where it was going, which I thought made it interesting.

Replay Value:

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi action, violence, disturbing images and brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 98
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialog Reproduction:
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Dolby Atmos Rating: 100

• Level of immersion:
  • Soundstage integration:
  • Audio object placement:
  • Effectiveness of Atmos platform:
  • Entertainment factor:

The Cloverfield Paradox comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1 channel sound.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red, and sepia tones. Warm golden accents are used to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without washing away detail. Whites are snappy and crisp and grays are multi-staged and layered. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing, and shadow detail is excellent. The use of CGI softened some of the background elements during wide-angle pans, but I never found it to be excessive or distracting. Overall, I found the quality of the video to be solid. It wasn’t always razor sharp, but it was cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increased the perception of fine detail.

I often hear from enthusiasts who rate the quality of movie soundtracks by the amount and depth of the bass it produces. There are select titles that are considered to be the “go to” for reference quality bass. I suspect that after experiencing this lossless soundtrack there will be a new addition among them as this presentation rocked, literally. The film’s first moment aboard the space station features an abrupt but jarring glimpse of the soundtrack’s deep, authoritative bass. Later, during the first use of the particle accelerator the room literally comes alive with rich, tactile, low frequency energy. The response in my room during several sequences attained infrasonic depths that could easily be classified as skin tingling.

In addition to the noteworthy bass response this is an active sound design that makes great use of the entire surround platform. The surround mix makes effective use of discrete effects and atmospherics/ambient related effects that envelope and revolve around the listening position. It generates a sound field that is aurally stimulating as you are transported into the events onscreen.

Occasionally I found myself struggling to hear dialog especially when blended with an active sequence shared by effects and music. In all other respects I didn’t have any issue with dialog perceptibility. Otherwise, I had nothing to complain about and found this audio mix to be engaging and completely involving.

In listening to the Dolby Atmos surround mix I found it to be an entertaining listening experience that made excellent use of the platform. The immersive mix compliments the already top-notch soundtrack and enhances the experience of watching the film. The use of audio objects placed above and at ear level is a mix of atmospherics, discrete effects and music. The film’s active moments, swallow you up as the revolving, rotating and all-encompassing surround sound comes at you from all sides. The attention to detail here is noticeably on display, giving you a taste of what is to come early on, grabbing hold and not letting go.

There is also much to enjoy in scenes that aren’t actively intense as smaller elements in the background are articulated and dimensionally full. In general, this Dolby Atmos mix made for an involving surround sound experience. I enjoyed the balance of atmosphere and discrete object placement, which complimented the source material. Woo Hoo!

Bonus Features:
  • Things are Not as They Appear: The Making of The Cloverfield Paradox
  • Shepard Team: The Cast

Final Thoughts:

The Cloverfield Paradox doesn’t quite live up to the other films in the series, suffering from a muddled script and slightly unfocused direction. Despite its narrative shortcomings I managed to have fun with it, taking it with a fairly large grain of salt that kept interest from waning. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Media Distribution featuring reference quality sound, excellent high definition video and a top-notch Dolby Atmos listening experience. If you enjoy the Cloverfield films The Cloverfield Paradox is passable and makes for one of the best home theater demonstrations I have heard.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS500 3D/4K Ready High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6-HDR Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and Canton In-Ceiling Series Speakers
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems
gbaby likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Sounds good to me Ralph! I will definitely be picking this one up, either for a rental or a buy. I enjoyed the first two installments (especially the 2nd one) and trust I'll enjoy this as well. The excellent PQ/AQ will be the "icing on the cake!"
Ralph Potts and tenthplanet like this.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #3 of 28 Old 01-31-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great review Ralph. I didn't much care for the movie, but just for the video/audio alone I'll pick this up around black Friday.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #5 of 28 Old 02-01-2019, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 301
For a lower budgeted movie, with a semi-decent cast and a fairly creative script ... the movie was pretty good. How ever, for those who watched it, the final moments of the movie will ruin it for most and I'm not talking about the "surprise" ending (quotations because most people knows about the cloverfield movies now), I'm talking about the angry yelling into a phone that really has no purpose other than to show some grossly over-acting.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 02-01-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Am I the only one who didn't realize that Netflix originals release as home video discs?

Anyway, it was entertaining, weird, and opened the door for a lot of different things for it to do afterward. It was also a nice surprise to come out after the Super Bowl last year, so no expectation + free = pretty hard to displease.

Even still, it doesn't hold a candle to the first film. I also wish I saw the second film without knowing the title of the film's name or seeing the trailer, because unfortunately it meant I knew how it was going to play out for the most part before it did.

Living Room: Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Sony PS3 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Panamax M5400-PM / miniDSP UMIK‑1 USB
Bedroom: Samsung PN59D7000 PDP / Energy Power Bar Elite Soundbar & SW / Astro A50 / Sony PS4 / DirecTV C41W-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet / Hauppauge HD PVR 2
Classroom: SMART Board X800 / Yamaha RX-V667 / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS SB-2000
post #7 of 28 Old 02-01-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Am I the only one who didn't realize that Netflix originals release as home video discs?

Anyway, it was entertaining, weird, and opened the door for a lot of different things for it to do afterward. It was also a nice surprise to come out after the Super Bowl last year, so no expectation + free = pretty hard to displease.

Even still, it doesn't hold a candle to the first film. I also wish I saw the second film without knowing the title of the film's name or seeing the trailer, because unfortunately it meant I knew how it was going to play out for the most part before it did.
Not all Netflix originals do release on disc, the rights to this film have always belonged to Paramount and it was originally going to be a theatrical release. That being said if enough people buy the disc, there will be more in the future.
thehun likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #8 of 28 Old 02-01-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I remember the original Cloverfield film being one of the absolute best lossless BD mixes back in the day.
Ralph Potts, Toe and tenthplanet like this.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-02-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 995
All movie mixes are "lossless" actually, now how it is encoded on home media is a different story. Yeah I saw this on Netflix too a few months back, and since I no longer go to movie theaters much the idea that they show this streaming with or without a theatrical presentation is fine with me. Might get this for the Atmos mix though , once it's in the "bargain bin" somewhere.
Ralph Potts likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #10 of 28 Old 02-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
You sold me Ralph with all your sexy bass talk! I just preordered this off Amazon.
post #11 of 28 Old 02-03-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
You sold me Ralph with all your sexy bass talk! I just preordered this off Amazon.
Greetings,

Great Todd! Of course you'll have to post back with your impressions after seeing it.

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #12 of 28 Old 02-03-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Great Todd! Of course you'll have to post back with your impressions after seeing it.

Regards,

I'm such a numb-nuts some times. After reading your review I decided to watch it. Off to Best Buy to pick it up I went.

It doesn't release till this Tuesday.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #13 of 28 Old 02-03-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I'm such a numb-nuts some times. After reading your review I decided to watch it. Off to Best Buy to pick it up I went.

It doesn't release till this Tuesday.
Greetings,

Hope the drive wasn't too far..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #14 of 28 Old 02-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Unfortunately I saw this on Netflix. Terrible film, insulting to the audience's intelligence and also trashing a decent low budget monster franchise.

I wasn't surprised to discover that this is not actually a "Cloverfield" movie. This is a dud SF movie called "God Particle" that Paramount financed and produced in 2016, but quickly realized it couldn't be released in theaters. As production wrapped in 2016, JJ Abrams decided to try and rescue the movie by grafting Cloverfield onto it, and they messed around with it for two years before selling it to Netflix. The reason for " the rather rushed explanation of the troubles on Earth" is that those scenes were filmed later to try and create a link to Cloverfield that never existed in the earlier movie.

2017 was Paramount's worst financial year ever, so they were probably pleased to recoup even a fraction of the money spent on the film (probably less than $10m).

I am able to enjoy some cheesy bad films - I just watched all six of the Transformers films in 4K and followed it with Fast and Furious 8. However, Cloverfield Paradox, fka God Particle shall not grace my screen ever again.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by analog8; 02-04-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-04-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Greetings,

Hope the drive wasn't too far..

Regards,

Less than fifteen minutes, thankfully.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #16 of 28 Old 02-04-2019, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
Unfortunately I saw this on Netflix. Terrible film, insulting to the audience's intelligence and also trashing a decent low budget monster franchise.

I wasn't surprised to discover that this is not actually a "Cloverfield" movie. This is a dud SF movie called "God Particle" that Paramount financed and produced in 2016, but quickly realized it couldn't be released in theaters. As production wrapped in 2016, JJ Abrams decided to try and rescue the movie by grafting Cloverfield onto it, and they messed around with it for two years before selling it to Netflix. The reason for " the rather rushed explanation of the troubles on Earth" is that those scenes were filmed later to try and create a link to Cloverfield that never existed in the earlier movie.

2017 was Paramount's worst financial year ever, so they were probably pleased to recoup even a fraction of the money spent on the film (probably less than $10m).

I am able to enjoy some cheesy bad films - I just watched all six of the Transformers films in 4K and followed it with Fast and Furious 8. However, Cloverfield Paradox, fka God Particle shall not grace my screen ever again.
That's not the whole story and audience intelligence is a urban legend.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #17 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I watched this movie last night after getting hint from this thread it was on Netflix. But, when I pulled it up, I discovered it was a movie I attempted to watch a while back as it was 3/4 viewed. I did not remember it so I watched from the beginning. To say it was strange is an understatement. Hollywierd would be an appropriate description. Even coming from compressed streaming on Netflix, the bass was tremendous. I am sure that on blu-ray its even deeper. I think Netflix will make this movie a series, and I am sure I will watch it. Thanks for your review Ralph as I doubt I would have revisited this movie without it.
post #18 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This was a good movie.

I re-watched Paradox last night, and I have concluded, this really was a good movie. In fact, after pondering it, the events of the first, second and last movies are are occurring about the same time. These movies are sci fi but with a heavy dose of physics. And, I feel like what was done on the spaceship, was the reason the problems occurred on earth. There is no doubt in my mind that Netflix will have a great series based upon Cloverfield. For those who did not enjoy Paradox, I think you need to re visit this movie keeping the prior movies in mind. The movie itself, is clever. It now all makes sense. The sound is a about 50% of the movie so I may buy it on blu-ray for an even greater sonic experience.
post #19 of 28 Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Ahh Ralph, I usually agree with your Film ratings, but this would be a 1 at best for me. I was so excited when the trailer launched last year during the Super Bowl, and I rushed to Netflix to watch it. The beginning has promise, but the acting and script fall flat after the first 30 minutes.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #20 of 28 Old 02-07-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't Netflix it, buy it.

I decided to purchase the blu-ray to see if the sound improved over Netflix, and this turned out to be the right decision for me. On blu-ray compared to the Netflix version, the dynamic range of the sound improved exponentially and the bass frequencies made crooked all the picture frames on my wall. In fact, I had to turn it down. In addition, the rear and surround speakers were clearer with better imaging as well as nuanced to a point that eluded the Netflix version. You have got to watch the entire movie, think a little, and listen to the dialog. Briefly, the movie is about a time on earth when there was a shortage of energy for the entire planet. So a team of scientist and astronauts were sent into space with a particle accelerator to create an opening of a membrane of space so that earth could have infinite energy. However, the folks were warned by another scientist that was seen as a crackpot, not to do this stunt as opening a membrane in space may cause chaos, monstrous demons and may alter the past and the future and cause multiple dimensions at the same time. I change my mind. This was a great movie, you just have to think, and it warrants multiple viewing to appreciate.
tenthplanet and Ralph Potts like this.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-07-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Ahh Ralph, I usually agree with your Film ratings, but this would be a 1 at best for me. I was so excited when the trailer launched last year during the Super Bowl, and I rushed to Netflix to watch it. The beginning has promise, but the acting and script fall flat after the first 30 minutes.
Sorry Matt! Hope to catch you on the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I decided to purchase the blu-ray to see if the sound improved over Netflix, and this turned out to be the right decision for me. On blu-ray compared to the Netflix version, the dynamic range of the sound improved exponentially and the bass frequencies made crooked all the picture frames on my wall. In fact, I had to turn it down. In addition, the rear and surround speakers were clearer with better imaging as well as nuanced to a point that eluded the Netflix version. You have got to watch the entire movie, think a little, and listen to the dialog. Briefly, the movie is about a time on earth when there was a shortage of energy for the entire planet. So a team of scientist and astronauts were sent into space with a particle accelerator to create an opening of a membrane of space so that earth could have infinite energy. However, the folks were warned by another scientist that was seen as a crackpot, not to do this stunt as opening a membrane in space may cause chaos, monstrous demons and may alter the past and the future and cause multiple dimensions at the same time. I change my mind. This was a great movie, you just have to think, and it warrants multiple viewing to appreciate.
Glad to hear you really enjoyed this one gbaby. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts/impressions.

Regards,
gbaby likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #22 of 28 Old 02-09-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Spot on review Ralph! And your PQ/AQ scores were also "right on the mark." I just watched (and LISTENED!!) to it tonight and I was thoroughly impressed with the CLARITY, DETAILS (and especially the amazing facial texture in close-ups), DEPTH and BLACK LEVELS. And what can I say about the unbelievable Dolby Atmos mix! The whole mix was fantastic, but it was the bass/LFE that really put a smile on my face! At one point my wife came running down to my Man Cave (after pictures were falling off of shelves!) exclaiming, "What in the world is going on down here?" And would you believe I had the volume at -9? What would have happened if I had had it on Reference?!

I know many disliked the movie but I was engaged throughout most of it. I will definitely be watching this again soon...and hopefully the "other half" will be gone so I can LISTEN to some of it at Reference.
gbaby and Ralph Potts like this.

Sony XBR75X940D...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Samsung BD-H5900...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Sony CDP-C725...Roku Premiere Plus

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #23 of 28 Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Spot on review Ralph! And your PQ/AQ scores were also "right on the mark." I just watched (and LISTENED!!) to it tonight and I was thoroughly impressed with the CLARITY, DETAILS (and especially the amazing facial texture in close-ups), DEPTH and BLACK LEVELS. And what can I say about the unbelievable Dolby Atmos mix! The whole mix was fantastic, but it was the bass/LFE that really put a smile on my face! At one point my wife came running down to my Man Cave (after pictures were falling off of shelves!) exclaiming, "What in the world is going on down here?" And would you believe I had the volume at -9? What would have happened if I had had it on Reference?!

I know many disliked the movie but I was engaged throughout most of it. I will definitely be watching this again soon...and hopefully the "other half" will be gone so I can LISTEN to some of it at Reference.
Greetings,

Awesome Denny! Glad to hear this presentation left an impression (on BOTH of you ). Thanks for sharing..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #24 of 28 Old 02-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
OMG......
Spoiler!
was pure demo material! I dont get truly wowed much these days since I've been running the same setup forever now within reason, but this wowed me! Right when this scene started, my front two PB13s made a horrible sound that I've never heard them make on any other scene, but fortunately that only lasted a second and the rest of this scene was pure sonic and bass bliss! The rest of the track was awesome as well, but this scene was insane.

Great PQ as well and the movie was better than I expected. Great blind buy!
gbaby likes this.
post #25 of 28 Old 02-10-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
OMG......
Spoiler!
was pure demo material! I dont get truly wowed much these days since I've been running the same setup forever now within reason, but this wowed me! Right when this scene started, my front two PB13s made a horrible sound that I've never heard them make on any other scene, but fortunately that only lasted a second and the rest of this scene was pure sonic and bass bliss! The rest of the track was awesome as well, but this scene was insane.

Greetings,

Sweeeet! I am glad you enjoyed this one too Todd. Yeah, the scene you mentioned is the same that I referenced in my review. The track rocks..!

Regards,
Toe and GPBURNS like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #26 of 28 Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Quote:
OMG......
Spoiler!

This movie is much better than folks realize. There are parts where if you don't listen to the dialog, you will not know what is happening in the movie. I thought the whole concept of this movie was ingenious.
Toe and Ralph Potts like this.
post #27 of 28 Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
This movie is much better than folks realize. There are parts where if you don't listen to the dialog, you will not know what is happening in the movie. I thought the whole concept of this movie was ingenious.

The concept of the movie is very interesting. The script could have been more polished, but I think the filmmakers/writers sacrificed story development in favor of a breakneck pace that, for me, it's what makes this movie works so well. Sure, some things may demand a better explanation (or ANY explanation), but this is more of a horror film than a sci-fi one, so I can live with the inconsistencies. The movie is a complete ride. The actors sell the story, and the audio mix seals the deal. This movie, like the first one (and even the second one, which is great) have high replayability value, just for sheer entertainment. And if you have a decent audio setup, the audio track is frightening in itself. The whole package is a pure Home Theater experience.
Ralph Potts and gbaby like this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #28 of 28 Old 02-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Greetings,

Sweeeet! I am glad you enjoyed this one too Todd. Yeah, the scene you mentioned is the same that I referenced in my review. The track rocks..!

Regards,
you guys nailed this one - devasting LFE at times -
Toe and Ralph Potts like this.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Forum® Blu-ray Disc Reviews