• 1 Post By Knownasgyates11

post #1 of 15 Old 01-08-2019, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 382 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8244 Post(s)
Liked: 14486
Apple iTunes and Airplay Coming to 2019 Samsung Smart TVs

Here's a piece of news that I honestly did not expect from CES 2019. Apple iTunes is coming to 2019 Samsung Smart TVs in the form of an app. This news even took my contacts at Samsung by surprise, nobody expected it! But that's the deal; no Apple TV needed to tap into Apple's collection of content if you have a 2019 Samsung Smart TV.

Here's the full press release:

"Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.announced today it will offer iTunes Movies and TV Shows and Apple AirPlay 2 support on 2019 Samsung Smart TV models beginning this spring. Support on 2018 Samsung Smart TVs will be made available via firmware update. In an industry first, a new iTunes Movies and TV Shows app will debut only on Samsung Smart TVs in more than 100 countries. AirPlay 2 support will be available on Samsung Smart TVs in 190 countries worldwide.

With the new iTunes Movies and TV Shows app on Samsung Smart TVs, Samsung customers can access their existing iTunes library and browse the iTunes Store to buy or rent from a selection of hundreds of thousands of movies and TV episodes — including the largest selection of 4K HDR movies. iTunes Movies and TV Shows will work seamlessly with Samsung’s Smart TV Services, such as Universal Guide, the New Bixby and Search, to create a consistent experience across Samsung’s platform.

With AirPlay 2 support, Samsung customers will be able to effortlessly play videos, photos, music, podcasts and more from Apple devices directly to Samsung Smart TVs, including QLED 4K and 8K TVs, The Frame and Serif lifestyle TVs, as well as other Samsung UHD and HD models.

As the global leader in television for 13 years, Samsung Smart TVs have grown to become one of the largest entertainment platforms available on the market.

“We pride ourselves on working with top industry leaders to deliver the widest range of content services to our Smart TV platform,” said Won-Jin Lee, Executive Vice President, Service Business of Visual Display at Samsung Electronics. “Bringing more content, value and open platform functionality to Samsung TV owners and Apple customers through iTunes and AirPlay is ideal for everyone.”

“We look forward to bringing the iTunes and AirPlay 2 experience to even more customers around the world through Samsung Smart TVs, so iPhone, iPad and Mac users have yet another way to enjoy all their favorite content on the biggest screen in their home,” said Eddy Cue, senior vice president of Internet Software and Services at Apple.
" - Samsung Electronics

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 42
A software Update, to cover their Lack of Dolby Vision Support, and Lack of HDMI 2.1 ports.
Samsung’s getting eaten alive on the High end by OLED, LG, Phillips, Panasonic, and SONY are all on OLED for the Best quality.
And the Middle Belongs to Vizio and and SONY and LG with HDMI 2.1 in two of its LED LC 4K TVs for 2019
And in the Low End TCL

Samsung, is really in a bad place going ULTRA high end with 8K and MicroLED 65” $5,000 no way.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
A software Update, to cover their Lack of Dolby Vision Support, and Lack of HDMI 2.1 ports.
Samsung’s getting eaten alive on the High end by OLED, LG, Phillips, Panasonic, and SONY are all on OLED for the Best quality.
And the Middle Belongs to Vizio and and SONY and LG with HDMI 2.1 in two of its LED LC 4K TVs for 2019
And in the Low End TCL

Samsung, is really in a bad place going ULTRA high end with 8K and MicroLED 65” $5,000 no way.
Samsung's 8K QLEDs are very high performance TVs with great, wide viewing angles and exceptional anti-reflective properties. A big leap forward in picture quality over 2018. It will release 4K TVs at a later time, so I'm sure it will have all the bases covered.

Considering the performance, I'd rather have a 85" QLED than a 77" OLED based just on screen size.

Anyhow, that's a bit off topic. iTunes is a huge library and it's nothing but beneficial to have it built into a TV. It's been a long time coming, why should you need a separate box to tap into that library. It's good news, and it's coming to the 2019 4K models as well.

Last edited by imagic; 01-11-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
iTunes is a huge library and it's nothing but beneficial to have it built into a TV. It's been a long time coming, why should you need a separate box to tap into that library. It's good news, and it's coming to the 2019 4K models as well.

Not to mention Apple has invested a billion dollars into producing their own original content, and has also long been rumored to be working on a service to compete with Sling, DTVNOW, PS VUE, etc.

Since the majority of people haven't realized (or don't care) that the AppleTV device is worth the price premium for its interface and privacy, adding their content to TVs is an important step to distributing their content/services.
imagic likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #5 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 12043 Post(s)
Liked: 11169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post

And in the Low End TCL

Seems the demise of samsung has been greatly exaggerated. According to an article just last month CNET, it's actually Samsung who is crushing the competition in the high end market, even though their units sold is down over previous years.

75Q9FN* Panny UB824 fed into Oppo203*Denon X4200 * S9+*

75Q9FN Galaxy S9+ Oppo 203 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #6 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Seems the demise of samsung has been greatly exaggerated. According to an article just last month CNET, it's actually Samsung who is crushing the competition in the high end market, even though their units sold is down over previous years.

75Q9FN* Panny UB824 fed into Oppo203*Denon X4200 * S9+*
Lol, every year the same posts "Samsung is toast this year" and yet every year the number 1 TV maker is you know who. This year's TVs are really strong, if 4K QLED gets the wide viewing angles seen on 8K QLED at CES then the "vs. OLED" discussions will become a lot more heated.
ray0414 and UltimateDisplay like this.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 597
I was reading a related article that suggested the Roku and Amazon Fire devices may get iTunes in the future.

That would be great ! because my ATV4K doesn't work well with my projector. I'd be so happy to give it away if iTunes suddenly had a Roku app.

-Brian
post #8 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Lol, every year the same posts "Samsung is toast this year" and yet every year the number 1 TV maker is you know who. This year's TVs are really strong, if 4K QLED gets the wide viewing angles seen on 8K QLED at CES then the "vs. OLED" discussions will become a lot more heated.
They are the masters of advertising (there is a reason why the Q in QLED makes it look like OLED). My experiences with Samsung as a consumer and sometime business partner I will say they a very fragmented and their products generally lack reliability. Their business culture is also quite different.

In Australia they have had massive recalls across fridges, washing machines and the much publicised galaxy. Have not seen it for TVs but my last 3 purchases of Samsung have been anything but good. Simply don’t understand their number 1 stature. But different countries things will vary.

For TVs I prefer Lg or Sony. For white goods I get European brands.

Think the biggest fear for consumers is the old devil you know plays a huge part. People frightened of change will only do so if pushed to the brink. So whatever vendor gets you onboard it does create high degree of stickiness. Samsung do a great job getting you onboard.
TravisPNW likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
BTw the iTunes stuff is very good move. I like it it’s good for consumers and good business model.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 42
We Are bordering a Dangerous turning point. Where Viewers or TV owners are being Data mined and we ourselves are being turned into “the product” a TV use to be just a TV, then they became Smart TVs with Apps Netflix, Amazon etc, Now They are becoming Someth8ng else where customers who are Invested in the Apple Ecosystem would Now Never Buy a SONY TV because they are run by Android OS.

Not too Long ago I did not care What TV Brand I got just the Best TV available period.

Now I must choose.

Samsung runs Tizen OS, with Apple TV and Android Apple like YouTube. The TV literally asks you for 3 Separate Accounts to Data Mine you.
SONY, TVs barely work without your Google LogIn. If not the Smart Apps are largely blank.
LG Runs it’s own OS based on PalmOS. It’s my favorite. And it’s the quickest.
Vizio Runs some crappy laggy TV OS
TCL has Roku, and it’s very nice. But again Log in’s required and Ads
I think all have Ads.

We need to Make a stand, I just want a TV to play video and that’s it. It’s not the Center of My Digital world. Also we don’t want Camps.
If I have a SONY or an LG OLED, I don’t want to feel excluded. Because Apple services only run on Samsung and Vizio.
I do not want TVs to become cellphones. Where iOS or Apple dominates Vizio, and Samsung, and Google, runs SONY and LG.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
BTw the iTunes stuff is very good move. I like it it’s good for consumers and good business model.
Only good for Apple fanatics.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #12 of 15 Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I like apple products heck between my wife and I have 2 Mac book pros, 2 iPads, still have a itouch, two apple tvs and two iPhone XR's. Apple products are quirky though and I do not look at appletv a videophile product. apple likes to do things there own way and it is not always right. I agree with the OP I am sick and tired of all of these apps on the tv's. I actually have it all turned off on my LG OLED and just use it as a TV. I miss the old days when you you just paid for a tv and that is it. I have never been a Samsung fan but the MicroLed tech has interested. If MicroLed comes out and is reasonable meaning 5k - 8k a tile I could be a buyer. Other than McroLed I could care less about Samsung at the moment.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-13-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone want to buy an Apple TV? Good used condition, one careful owner, hardly used.....

My Lounge System
TV: Samsung 82” NU8000|Sources: AppleTV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB420|Receiver: Marantz SR6012 5.1.4
Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 fronts, Wharfedale Diamond 8 centre, AudioPro C5 rears,
4x Polk V60 in-ceiling, Polk HTS12 Sub
post #14 of 15 Old 01-13-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
They are the masters of advertising (there is a reason why the Q in QLED makes it look like OLED).

Exactly this. Confuse the consumer by naming their glorified LCD to look like OLED. I really wonder how many poor saps bought a QLED expecting OLED quality?

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Panasonic GH5 with 42.5mm f1.2 & 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lenses
post #15 of 15 Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Apple is late to the party

Apple is late to the party, but better late than never.

Now that Apple is clearly going into the gadget and services business model would they please enable OS X to be installed on any computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
ces 2019 , itunes , Samsung