post #2551 of 2589 Old 01-08-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
There is a 1203 update? On the US site the latest update is 1202.3.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Neither update has pushed to my tv yet.... seems to take a month before the online server shows it for the tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2589 Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Neither update has pushed to my tv yet.... seems to take a month before the online server shows it for the tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My TV still has 1153. Says no update available when I check for updates on the TV. I'm in the US. Maybe they roll it out to TVs in stages?
post #2553 of 2589 Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Go to the US support site to download the latest updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChadd View Post
My TV still has 1153. Says no update available when I check for updates on the TV. I'm in the US. Maybe they roll it out to TVs in stages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 2589 Old 01-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Go to the US support site to download the latest updates.

Yeah, I get that. I just don't understand why the TV won't update itself. I mean, it's literally a function embedded into the TV
bodean likes this.
post #2555 of 2589 Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChadd View Post
Yeah, I get that. I just don't understand why the TV won't update itself. I mean, it's literally a function embedded into the TV
They roll them out in cycles to the tv, they always have. It can take up to 5 weeks sometimes once its posted on the web site

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TheChadd likes this.
post #2556 of 2589 Old 01-09-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Yeah, I saw it go kooky during the fire-lit scenes in Wonder Woman. The poor TV didn't know what to do.

This is actually my biggest gripe with my 82Q8FN. After experiencing the usual edge lit issues I was excited to get my first FALD. Those issues have been replaced with different ones. On some lower contrast images where there are subtle lighting/shading differences in a relatively static field, the dimming zones flicker randomly. It's exactly as you say, the TV doesn't know how to handle the image. Like you, I noticed it in the WW scene, as well as other candle lit scenes. A different example is in Arrival. When the helicopter first approaches the landing site there is a shot out the window of clouds. The zone flicker is so bad it makes it look as if there's lightning occurring. I admit that this situation is rare and usually very brief, but once you've seen it you can't un-see it. Hopefully Samsung is paying attention (this issue has been observed in "pro" reviews) and will refine the dimming algorithm. This is annoying, but not a deal breaker for me. The Q8FN's strengths far outweigh it's problems. FWIW, I'm still very happy with my purchase.
post #2557 of 2589 Old 01-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
You're probably right.

yeah, missed by a number.
For the others asking, had to download from the Samsung site and use a USB stick.

Sadly I have to confirm the TV may still report the wrong display data for your current resolution/mode which results in issues. (mostly free sync related for me) May take several power cycles to correct itself. It's a big hassle when it doesn't work right.

EDIT:

Anyone heard about a panel version : 04? Seems to be what I have, made in Hungary.

Last edited by Nighthog; 01-10-2019 at 11:34 AM.
post #2558 of 2589 Old 01-10-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 22
New owner. Haven't had a chance to really dig in to the settings. I am confused with the HDR+ mode. Should it be on all the time? When on it seems to take over the various advanced settings. I have a UHD DVD player that streams 4K & normal cable box. I printed out the manual but even that is vague.
I'm also confused with the picture setting. All my devices run thru a AVR via one cable. When I set up DVD source to movie mode, then switch to cable via AVR, it stays at movie mode. Do I have to manually change it back to standard every time I change sources?

post #2559 of 2589 Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
New owner. Haven't had a chance to really dig in to the settings. I am confused with the HDR+ mode. Should it be on all the time? When on it seems to take over the various advanced settings. I have a UHD DVD player that streams 4K & normal cable box. I printed out the manual but even that is vague.
I'm also confused with the picture setting. All my devices run thru a AVR via one cable. When I set up DVD source to movie mode, then switch to cable via AVR, it stays at movie mode. Do I have to manually change it back to standard every time I change sources?

If you are a "directors intent" person, then no you want HDR+ off. What HDR+ does is try to made SDR content look more like HDR, in otherwords it's fake HDR. Personally I think it does a decent job on some content, the contrast gets pretty extreme and the colors get very saturated, which can look good if that's what you enjoy.

If you are only using one input on the TV, then it will use the same settings per resolution for each TV input. What that means is, say for example you have a set top box that outputs 1080i. Any other device connected to your AVR that is 1080i the TV will use whatever settings you have made for 1080i. What I do is set my color/contrast/black levels using my 4k blu ray player, since that will at least follow calibration standards, whereas some streaming 4k content from my Roku may not.

Last edited by sether01; 01-10-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #2560 of 2589 Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sether01 View Post
If you are a "directors intent" person, then no you want HDR+ off. What HDR+ does is try to made SDR content look more like HDR, in otherwords it's fake HDR. Personally I think it does a decent job on some content, the contrast gets pretty extreme and the colors get very saturated, which can look good if that's what you enjoy.

If you are only using one input on the TV, then it will use the same settings per resolution for each TV input. What that means is, say for example you have a set top box that outputs 1080i. Any other device connected to your AVR that is 1080i the TV will use whatever settings you have made for 1080i. What I do is set my color/contrast/black levels using my 4k blu ray player, since that will at least follow calibration standards, whereas some streaming 4k content from my Roku may not.
So the setting I create for my 4K will be the same when I switch to 1080i? What about when I switch from standard picture to Movie? are they independent?
My goal is to watch in Standard mode for my cable feed, then switch to Movie when I watch DVD/4K streaming. I have my Harmony remote set up to switch picture modes with a button. I just hope the settings are independent with each pic mode. Do you understand? lol
post #2561 of 2589 Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
So the setting I create for my 4K will be the same when I switch to 1080i? What about when I switch from standard picture to Movie? are they independent?
My goal is to watch in Standard mode for my cable feed, then switch to Movie when I watch DVD/4K streaming. I have my Harmony remote set up to switch picture modes with a button. I just hope the settings are independent with each pic mode. Do you understand? lol
At least with the Q9FN, HDR content triggers a separate set of settings than SDR content for the same picture mode.
Geezer likes this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
post #2562 of 2589 Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Ah ok gotcha. Yeah each picture mode is independent. Settings you change in Movie Mode will only be for Movie Mode, not any other mode. And like AnotherDude wrote above, SDR and HDR have their own settings that are independent of each other.
Geezer likes this.
post #2563 of 2589 Old 01-11-2019, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
How many here have had issue's with their Q8 turning off on it's own? Just got my Q8 and it turned off a good 4 times within a 8 hours period. No timers are set. I had the Q6 before this and that TV turned itself off maybe only twice the first few days but never did it again for the remainder of the time owning it.

Thx
post #2564 of 2589 Old 01-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have Q8DN and would like to connect two Bluetooth headphones at once.
If I tried to connect another BT device, tv asked to disconnect the first one.
Any recommendation for the scenario?
The only option is to use external Bluetooth gadget, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra.../dp/B07D1JM5S9 ?
Is there any audio format limitation for the digital out? I use streaming services at TV mainly (Netflix, hbo go, ...)

Thanks.
post #2565 of 2589 Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
How many here have had issue's with their Q8 turning off on it's own? Just got my Q8 and it turned off a good 4 times within a 8 hours period. No timers are set. I had the Q6 before this and that TV turned itself off maybe only twice the first few days but never did it again for the remainder of the time owning it.

Thx
I think alot of people experienced that on launch. Did you update to the latest firmware?
post #2566 of 2589 Old 01-11-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am using the movie mode, Backlight 25 and Contrast 40, Local dimming Low, perfect here with Hd content. Should Hdr mode be adjusted like this also? I see that Local dimming is set to High when on Hdr and Backlight and Contrast is very high.
post #2567 of 2589 Old 01-11-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddis View Post
I am using the movie mode, Backlight 25 and Contrast 40, Local dimming Low, perfect here with Hd content. Should Hdr mode be adjusted like this also? I see that Local dimming is set to High when on Hdr and Backlight and Contrast is very high.
For my HDR I use Backlight 45, Contrast 50, Brightness 2, and Local dimming Low. As always, YMMV ...

Samsung 75Q9FN
post #2568 of 2589 Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Wow, very bright. I see in every test here that they have Local dimming on High for Hdr content. But they do not specify other settings. Ymmv?
post #2569 of 2589 Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi everyone!

Bought this TV today (waiting on shipping), but looking for answers on 2 questions that I can't seem to find recent updates on.

1. How are subtitles on dark scenes? Is there noticeable blooming around them? I use subtitles quite often.

2. I read issues about the ENTIRE screen brightening during subtitle pop-ups, typically during HDR Netflix content, as well as blooming/pulsing during scenes. I thought I remember reading about firmware fixing this, but can't find info on that now. Has it been fixed?

3. Have you noticed elements like stars being hidden due to aggressive local dimming in dark space scenes? Saw a few reviews mention that the scenes almost looked vignetted because of dimming.

For the first 2 points, there's even a decent-sized thread on the Samsung forums about it:

http://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...d/45706/page/1

Here are some examples of what I'm referring to, that I saw other users post elsewhere on the forums. Some are videos showing on the Q9, Q7, and Q6, but was wondering if these may happen on the Q8 also? (Strange that it shows on Q9 also, which is FALD and lots of local dimming zones)

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

post #2570 of 2589 Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 PM

So i get my Q8 a few days back, I'm freakin LOVING it, the picture is amazing, I'm astounded by dark movies, they POP and look very close to OLED quality, was loving every minute of this TV until i popped in Zelda for the Switch and Started playing. The DSE is soooo bad, i mean, i can't play without it being a distraction. I already called Best Buy, they told me to bring it to them tomorrow and switch it out for a new one. My question is... Is this normal??? Would i be waisting my time switching it out? I understand the panel lotery, just wondering if what you are about to see is the norm here?

I made a quick 42sec video below, please check it. I only kept stairing at the "Sun" in this video so my camera can capture it, it's much easier to see in person, no matter if I'm going through a forest, ect. This really sucks cause this TV is perfect in every other way. Opinions?

http://youtu.be/CDZBDtOqWaY

Last edited by EtherMagic; 01-12-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #2571 of 2589 Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbox View Post
Hi everyone!

Bought this TV today (waiting on shipping), but looking for answers on 2 questions that I can't seem to find recent updates on.

1. How are subtitles on dark scenes? Is there noticeable blooming around them? I use subtitles quite often.

2. I read issues about the ENTIRE screen brightening during subtitle pop-ups, typically during HDR Netflix content, as well as blooming/pulsing during scenes. I thought I remember reading about firmware fixing this, but can't find info on that now. Has it been fixed?

3. Have you noticed elements like stars being hidden due to aggressive local dimming in dark space scenes? Saw a few reviews mention that the scenes almost looked vignetted because of dimming.

For the first 2 points, there's even a decent-sized thread on the Samsung forums about it:

http://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...d/45706/page/1

Here are some examples of what I'm referring to, that I saw other users post elsewhere on the forums. Some are videos showing on the Q9, Q7, and Q6, but was wondering if these may happen on the Q8 also? (Strange that it shows on Q9 also, which is FALD and lots of local dimming zones)

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

After reading your post, i went to netflix, turned on "Lost In Space", episode 8 when they are in the dark cave, and i turned on subtitles. Yes, the screen blooms a very little, not around the lettering, but the screen itself. My Q6FN had this very VERY bad, the Q8 is not nearly as bad, but it does this. I shot video, i just need to take the card out my camera, put it in my phone and upload for you. It ONLY does this in VERY VERY dark scenes, even just a flashlight in the dark cave stops the screen from blooming/lighting up. This is no concern to me as i do not watch with subtitles EVER, but it's there. My camera made it look worse then what it is, as i cannot adjust the ISO. I'll do my best to get footage up shortly. BTW, my wife was watching with me and i actually had to ask her if the screen was lighting up with the subtitles, we had to see it a few times to make sure, but the camera caught it much better. Like i said, my previous Q6 did this much worse then what im seeing here. Gonna try to upload now.

Last edited by EtherMagic; 01-12-2019 at 10:55 PM.
post #2572 of 2589 Old 01-13-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5553 Post(s)
Liked: 5553
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
So i get my Q8 a few days back, I'm freakin LOVING it, the picture is amazing, I'm astounded by dark movies, they POP and look very close to OLED quality, was loving every minute of this TV until i popped in Zelda for the Switch and Started playing. The DSE is soooo bad, i mean, i can't play without it being a distraction. I already called Best Buy, they told me to bring it to them tomorrow and switch it out for a new one. My question is... Is this normal??? Would i be waisting my time switching it out? I understand the panel lotery, just wondering if what you are about to see is the norm here?
You will get DSE to some degree........From what I saw in that video it looked pretty good, but its always worse in person usually.........No matter what technology you choose, you swap something out, you could get something worse, maybe not with that exact issue you have, could be something else too......

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 01-13-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #2573 of 2589 Old 01-13-2019, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Balls.. :/

Guess I need a new panel.. Nice quality check Samsung.
post #2574 of 2589 Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuraeL View Post

Damn. Sorry you have to deal with that. Samsung has really gone downhill...

srkmish likes this.
post #2575 of 2589 Old 01-14-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Balls.. 😕

[IMG]yoink[/IMG]

Get this: "It's within spec." They are not fixing it... What the f***. Guess I'mma have to bust out some polyfilla or something? I'm so mad. I paid a lot for this set. What a load of bull.

Last edited by CuraeL; 01-14-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #2576 of 2589 Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I have the same issue but it is on the left corner and nowhere as bad as yours. I put in an exchange on samsung.com where I purchased from. My replacement comes in a couple of weeks.
post #2577 of 2589 Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Get this: "It's within spec." They are not fixing it... What the f***. Guess I'mma have to bust out some polyfilla or something? I'm so mad. I paid a lot for this set. What a load of bull.
That's ridiculous. You need to fight it.

post #2578 of 2589 Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Balls.. 😕

[IMG]yoink[/IMG]

I was told within spec also on my set. I fought it and fought it. Had another tech out who said it was not working properly , he noticed uneven light , i got a new panel and no issues now..local dimming works properly. U just need to fight it. Ask for samsungs "ecr" dept. Thats executive customer relations. You will need to talk to them to escelate it. Keep bugging them. Dont give up. I have had entire refunds mailed back to me
post #2579 of 2589 Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Up-conversion

I never used the HDR+ feature because when I turn it on the screen gets very yellow tint-ish. Is that normal? I want my 1080p blu-rays to upconvert to 4k and just all sources also. Isn't this the main way to do that? I have an XBox One X for blu-rays but my friend said his LG OLED from last year with his standalone 4k blu-ray player does great up-conversion and better than mine after seeing mine. What do I need to do? Thanks!
post #2580 of 2589 Old 01-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Guys 3 months ago or less I bought the 65 inch version and a month ago the screen cracked on the bottom right due to my mistake moving the tv.

I was devastated and samsung gave me the number to a place where they told me that i would be best to buy a new one and the cost with labor will be around 1500

I held off for a bit but since the tv is brand new I figured I would do it. So I called Samsung today to set up the appointment and the guy told me that as a one time courtesy they would cover the labor but i pay for the parts

I said fine, I was happy. I then call the service quick company and they transfer me back to samsung since they have no details for me.

I get a new guy at samsung who says the first guy made a mistake as they do not cover labor or parts for this damage. I said but he already offered it and he agreed and talked to a manager and said that they would honor it as a one time courtesy.

I then get an email saying they would honor it and the first guy calls me and says he is sorry but he made a mistake and they cannot honor it.

I lost it and told him that i spoke to another person who said they would do it since he offered it. He said no it will be declined, I told him I got an email from Samsung a few minutes ago saying it will be done. he says he sent that email and to disregard it as it will be declined.

I told him NOOO..I want a manager and right now I am waiting for a manger to call

I am so pissed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays