post #2521 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
I went to best buy again today and this time I asked for a remote to play around with settings on 75X900F and 75Q8FN. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get X900F to have the same colors as Q8FN. Samsung has really brought a revolution in terms of color gamut/fidelity with their QLED Tvs. I could swear the Q8FN appeared a bit sharper and had a bit darker blacks compared to X900F (after having calibrated them both according to my taste). Samsung gets bad rap for "oversaturating" the TVs, but even on reducing the color intensity on the Q8FN, the color fidelity was still superior to X900F. Leaning more towards the Q8FN for my purchase.
Did you bring your calibration equipment to Best Buy? If not I believe you meant to say you adjusted the basic settings to your taste.

What may be in play with your observations is Samsung's superior anti-glare filter which combats ambient light better than the Sony.
TrendSetterX and srkmish like this.

LG 65B8 - Primary
LG 55EG9100 - Bedroom
Sonos Playbase
MS Xbox One S (using strictly as a disk player)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post
And @bodean
I have worked with Samsung & Denon (have support tickets with them both). I gave up and got an optical cable and then I found if you "unplug" the Samsung then plug it back in with the Denon powered up.....BINGO HDMI Audio option is there. It will work for several days then it's gone. UNPLUG and go though same procedure and it's back for a while (haven't figured out what diggers the disappearance of HDMI Audio.). I am currently awaiting a WiFi Electrical outlet so I don't have to pull the TV away from the wall and push it back (finger prints!!!).
Hope this helps
I take it just turning the TV off, waiting for a full power off (mine flashes briefly after about ten seconds) then back on didn't work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
I have found a bug with the Display not knowing or acknowledging which actual Display mode it is actually displaying. It might be in game mode or not and report otherwise, it might say 1024x768 but display 4k UHD 60hz... etc etc. There comes a lot of problems from this when the display thinks it's in one mode when it's actually displaying another. The firmware/software can then have a lot of odd behaviour. It's a buggy mess when you change modes often.

there are a lot of "flags" for the diffrent modes so if the Display is thinking it's in one mode and displays another it will give problems with things not working as intended.
I believe it's showing the upscaled rather than the source resolution. I've seen it switch after first finding a source.

Samsung 75Q9FN
post #2523 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDude View Post
I believe it's showing the upscaled rather than the source resolution. I've seen it switch after first finding a source.

I don't use a upscaled resolution. I use the native full resolution 4k/60hz. (PC source). The problem is the TV doesn't check often enough or doesn't update properly when changes occur. It gets confused and sometimes says nothing on which resolution you are using or incorrect (old data).

The particular 1024x768 resolution is from the BIOS boot screen, but when I reach windows proper full resolution the TV doesn't update it's resolution data/mode. I often see it malfunction to give the correct data when changing resolution on my PC. I'm still learning the quirks to bypass the worst offenders which causes issues.(for this issue just don't turn the TV on till it's reached the login screen to get proper detection of the desktop resolution)

Game mode with freesync seems to be worst offender when most trouble occurs. (example changing to/from fresync mode to another non-freesync compatible resolution/refresh) (I have to go and double enable/disable game mode when a resolution/refresh change occurs for the display to "get it" and switch correctly)
(basically changing between my movie mode(4k23p movie) and desktop/game usage mode(4k60p freesync)

This is a PC detection issue. I don't think they test thoroughly there for all cases. ( I can note issues are normal with PC:s)

(you usually learn the use cases that gives issues and work around them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't use a upscaled resolution. I use the native full resolution 4k/60hz. (PC source). The problem is the TV doesn't check often enough or doesn't update properly when changes occur. It gets confused and sometimes says nothing on which resolution you are using or incorrect (old data).

The particular 1024x768 resolution is from the BIOS boot screen, but when I reach windows proper full resolution the TV doesn't update it's resolution data/mode. I often see it malfunction to give the correct data when changing resolution on my PC. I'm still learning the quirks to bypass the worst offenders which causes issues.(for this issue just don't turn the TV on till it's reached the login screen to get proper detection of the desktop resolution)

Game mode with freesync seems to be worst offender when most trouble occurs. (example changing to/from fresync mode to another non-freesync compatible resolution/refresh) (I have to go and double enable/disable game mode when a resolution/refresh change occurs for the display to "get it" and switch correctly)
(basically changing between my movie mode(4k23p movie) and desktop/game usage mode(4k60p freesync)

This is a PC detection issue. I don't think they test thoroughly there for all cases. ( I can note issues are normal with PC:s)

(you usually learn the use cases that gives issues and work around them)
As far as I can tell the TV always upscales the source with no way to turn that off. I'm talking movie type sources, not gaming which I don't do.

Samsung 75Q9FN
post #2525 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
As far as I can tell the TV always upscales the source with no way to turn that off. I'm talking movie type sources, not gaming which I don't do.

4K sources shouldn't upscale from what I know(the TV can process it but... those can be sett to off).

I can get it pixel perfect from my PC at least. Maybe some cable box, blu-ray player and such doesn't do it without overscan sett correctly but the TV doesn't auto upscale everything if fed the native resolution.
post #2526 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4K sources shouldn't upscale from what I know(the TV can process it but... those can be sett to off).

I can get it pixel perfect from my PC at least. Maybe some cable box, blu-ray player and such doesn't do it without overscan sett correctly but the TV doesn't auto upscale everything if fed the native resolution.
I do have it set to Fit Screen - I'll try without that and see if still always upscales.

Samsung 75Q9FN
post #2527 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I have found a bug with the Display not knowing or acknowledging which actual Display mode it is actually displaying. It might be in game mode or not and report otherwise, it might say 1024x768 but display 4k UHD 60hz... etc etc. There comes a lot of problems from this when the display thinks it's in one mode when it's actually displaying another. The firmware/software can then have a lot of odd behaviour. It's a buggy mess when you change modes often.

there are a lot of "flags" for the diffrent modes so if the Display is thinking it's in one mode and displays another it will give problems with things not working as intended.

My 82QFN has an issue with resetting the display "info" (input & resolution) when switching inputs. The display info "sticks" to the resolution on the input you're switched to when the TV is turned on. For example, if I turn the TV on with the Comcast box (1080p 60) and check the display info for that input HDMI 1 (by selecting the current source and pressing enter) it will show correctly. Then, if I switch to my Roku Ultra (4K 60 HDR) on the HDMI 2 input and check the display info for that input, it will still show the Comcast info. AND the Comcast input! However, the TV is most certainly switched to and displaying the higher resolution on HDMI 2, so it's just a glitch in how the TV sources its info.

This might be just a minor annoyance, but if you make picture setting changes, they will stick to the input the TV "thinks" it's on, rather than the source it's actually switched to...
post #2528 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmbond View Post
My 82QFN has an issue with resetting the display "info" (input & resolution) when switching inputs. The display info "sticks" to the resolution on the input you're switched to when the TV is turned on. For example, if I turn the TV on with the Comcast box (1080p 60) and check the display info for that input HDMI 1 (by selecting the current source and pressing enter) it will show correctly. Then, if I switch to my Roku Ultra (4K 60 HDR) on the HDMI 2 input and check the display info for that input, it will still show the Comcast info. AND the Comcast input! However, the TV is most certainly switched to and displaying the higher resolution on HDMI 2, so it's just a glitch in how the TV sources its info.

This might be just a minor annoyance, but if you make picture setting changes, they will stick to the input the TV "thinks" it's on, rather than the source it's actually switched to...

It's more than a issue of "display" of what it thinks. There are glitches present with display if they don't match. 23/24hz for me don't work correct and glitch on the lower end of the screen, same if I engage freesync and it isn't correct, the display just glitches out completely not knowing what to do, you get the old static black/white dots from analogue CRT signal displayed between black screens and the menu completely goes bonkers switching between modes. This doesn't occur if the data is correct to begin with when changing mode/resolution.
post #2529 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5564 Post(s)
Liked: 5562
Quote:
I went to best buy again today and this time I asked for a remote to play around with settings on 75X900F and 75Q8FN. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get X900F to have the same colors as Q8FN. Samsung has really brought a revolution in terms of color gamut/fidelity with their QLED Tvs. I could swear the Q8FN appeared a bit sharper and had a bit darker blacks compared to X900F (after having calibrated them both according to my taste). Samsung gets bad rap for "oversaturating" the TVs, but even on reducing the color intensity on the Q8FN, the color fidelity was still superior to X900F. Leaning more towards the Q8FN for my purchase.
Some people like the Sony, it does not matter as long as "you" are happy

Quote:
That is correct, the set displays 4K, so anything that comes in will be changed to 4K no matter what, otherwise you would have a black screen.
post #2530 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Some people like the Sony, it does not matter as long as "you" are happy

That is correct, the set displays 4K, so anything that comes in will be changed to 4K no matter what, otherwise you would have a black screen.

I have both X900F and the Q8FN. Both are great televisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #2531 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Bought my 82" Q8FN yesterday, so I'm joining the thread to be part of the discussion

I feel I am super luck, as the screen has only a very very very minor amount of DSE. My 940c had worse DSE, and that was minor also! Very happy about that.

82" is soooooo much bigger than 75". I was always rather unimpressed with how the 75" felt, but the moment we put this 82" up, we were shocked how big it was.
lithoman likes this.
post #2532 of 2589 Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Not a fan of the dimming algorithm...
Yeah, I saw it go kooky during the fire-lit scenes in Wonder Woman. The poor TV didn't know what to do.
post #2533 of 2589 Old 01-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have this same issue on my 65inch and it’s really annoying me. I haven’t had the time to call Samsung about it. I wonder if this is a common issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmbond View Post

post #2534 of 2589 Old 01-06-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 3144
A Firmware Update is Coming

Check this out:

http://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/06...nes-airplay-2/
TrendSetterX likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #2535 of 2589 Old 01-06-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
A Firmware Update is Coming

Check this out:

http://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/06...nes-airplay-2/

Still waiting for the last one to push through on my tv.....

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
post #2536 of 2589 Old 01-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Still waiting for the last one to push through on my tv.....

Just download it on your computer and update it through a flash drive. It’s what I did.

I agree about the dimming being too aggressive in some cases though. But I do find on MOST content its doing great.
post #2537 of 2589 Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagusas View Post
Just download it on your computer and update it through a flash drive. It’s what I did.

I agree about the dimming being too aggressive in some cases though. But I do find on MOST content its doing great.

Pain in the ass to move out my 75” which is wall mounted with a slim mount.

post #2538 of 2589 Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted here in awhile I just got a 55" Q8FN I previously had a KS8000 but it got damaged in a move.....& you was going to cost around $2,200 to replace the screen on that so I got this instead.

I have a couple questions...

First are there settings people are using for things like TV,HDR content & video games on the PS4 Pro?

Also was wondering why when I watch HDR content on Netflix does it not automatically detect & change the Backlight to max itself? It always using the settings I have how my cable TV.

On the KS8000 it would change automatically if I remember correctly?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thx everyone I appreciate the help.

post #2539 of 2589 Old 01-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
yes samsung have more pop , i go for the sony more shadow color pallet detail , more accurate color out of the box , more fine on image less sharp than q8 . i place live color to max and color 70 , samsung pop little to much for me , i was between the 2 set too .sony is not a dark room performer is more a day performer , set have more blooming and is lacking of deeper black over the q8 in a dark room .blooming and black bar in dark room can be fixed by adding bias lightening , i have a post here for the 900f page 180 will help you decide , i never know before i buy it the 900f was not a dark room performer http://01966633.com/forum/166-l...l#post57299958
srkmish likes this.

Last edited by dwhitton1; 01-07-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #2540 of 2589 Old 01-07-2019, 08:04 AM

Anyone else super excited to have Airplay and Apple Music on the Q8 in the next update!? Very surprised and happy to hear about that at CES.
post #2541 of 2589 Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2018 Samsung FALD Q8FN Owners thread - No price talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagusas View Post
Anyone else super excited to have Airplay and Apple Music on the Q8 in the next update!? Very surprised and happy to hear about that at CES.

Have an Apple TV, so not really.

Tranzotic54 likes this.

post #2542 of 2589 Old 01-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I am an apple hater not excited.
phoenixone and srkmish like this.
post #2543 of 2589 Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am an Apple ignorer, not excited
phoenixone and srkmish like this.

Samsung 75Q9FN
post #2544 of 2589 Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
Sounds like you had the same issue I had with the Q6 (motion blur/ghosting). How was your experience with the Q8 specific to motion blur? I assume way better? Thinking about doing the same as you and replacing my Q6 with a Q8. I'm worried about the panel lottery though, always stressful. At least my Q6 panel is okay in terms of DSE but not sure I can live with this motion blur! Just dont' want to pay more for the upgrade and find out the Q8 has the same issue.
maybe this could help you
post #2545 of 2589 Old 01-08-2019, 12:46 PM

I can say the newer 1203 firmware update is a better experience overall using the TV now.

The TV got a lot more quick and responsive now. Before with the 1153 firmware I had lag and several second delays at times. These seem to be gone now.

The 4K 23p mode also reduced input-lag for a positive change. Was really horrible before now it's "acceptable" and not a real issue any more.
I maybe noticed a better upscaling algo for the regular TV watching. The quality seemed much improved.

Haven't checked or seen much more yet, my previous issues are still unverified. To be seen if they are still there.
post #2546 of 2589 Old 01-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
NVIDIA to Support Freesync (Mostly)

Good news from CES: Nvidia graphics cards (at least the new ones) will be updated to support Freesync via a new driver. While the Samsung monitors are not identified and supported by default, apparently this is something that still will hopefully work, and be settable via the Nvidia Control Panel.

(There is an article about this over at pcworld. I would submit a link, but apparently because I have posted fewer than 5 times, I'm not allowed to include url's in my post. Harrumph! Thank you avsforum for protecting all of us!)
post #2547 of 2589 Old 01-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There is a 1203 update? On the US site the latest update is 1202.3.
Quote:
I can say the newer 1203 firmware update is a better experience overall using the TV now.

The TV got a lot more quick and responsive now. Before with the 1153 firmware I had lag and several second delays at times. These seem to be gone now.

The 4K 23p mode also reduced input-lag for a positive change. Was really horrible before now it's "acceptable" and not a real issue any more.
I maybe noticed a better upscaling algo for the regular TV watching. The quality seemed much improved.

Haven't checked or seen much more yet, my previous issues are still unverified. To be seen if they are still there.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Viscious82; 01-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.
post #2548 of 2589 Old 01-08-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
There is a 1203 update? On the is site the latest update is 1202.3.

In Australia the website only has the 1153 firmware

*continues to wait*
post #2549 of 2589 Old 01-08-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscious82 View Post
There is a 1203 update? On the US site the latest update is 1202.3.

I'm betting on a misprint

Samsung 75Q9FN
post #2550 of 2589 Old 01-08-2019, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You're probably right.
Quote:
I'm betting on a misprint