Forum Jump: 
 4889Likes

post #7831 of 7846 Old 01-05-2019, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need help with my Apps settings. How do I change the picture to Full Screen to get rid of the black bars. I only use Netflix and Prime right now but both have black bars on top and bottom and I do not know how to change the display to full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 7846 Old 01-05-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 1519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpawlak View Post
Need help with my Apps settings. How do I change the picture to Full Screen to get rid of the black bars. I only use Netflix and Prime right now but both have black bars on top and bottom and I do not know how to change the display to full.
On the remote: Action Menu > Wide Mode > Full

At least that's how mine is set. May or may not achieve what you want....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #7833 of 7846 Old 01-05-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:

Why are you distorting the picture? If the pic is zoomed to 16:9 if it was intended to be a smaller aspect ratio you’re not watching 1080p or 2160p the picture will be softer.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7834 of 7846 Old 01-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
On the remote: Action Menu > Wide Mode > Full

At least that's how mine is set. May or may not achieve what you want....
I cannot change the wide mode setting to Full while watching Netflix. I can do that when watching TV but when I am watching Netflix there is no Wide Mode under Action Menu and the I get "Feature currently unavailable" when I press the "Wide" button on the remote.
post #7835 of 7846 Old 01-05-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I cannot change the wide mode setting to Full while watching Netflix. I can do that when watching TV but when I am watching Netflix there is no Wide Mode under Action Menu and the I get "Feature currently unavailable" when I press the "Wide" button on the remote.

Yep, you're right! I've never tried it during actual Netflix use, only during cable TV use. So, are you saying everything shows black bars at top and bottom?

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #7836 of 7846 Old 01-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, you're right! I've never tried it during actual Netflix use, only during cable TV use. So, are you saying everything shows black bars at top and bottom?
Yes and just tired and I have the same issue with Prime. Any help would be appreciated.
post #7837 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes and just tired and I have the same issue with Prime. Any help would be appreciated.

Hmmm. Well, that's a bit puzzling. I don't have Prime, but Netflix for me, at least the majority of what I'm watching, is all full screen, no black bars. This is not without exception - there are titles that will display back bars at top and bottom, and they vary from very thin bars to the ones you'd more typically expect or have seen. I've definitely not done anything special in Netflix for this, I don't think you can, though I'm not 100% certain on that. And nothing special to the TV either other than what I described above, that you pointed out is not available when you are in the app. I'll try exploring some more later today and see if anything jumps out at me, but report back if you figure anything out. Sorry couldn't be of more help, maybe somebody else can chime in here.....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #7838 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. Well, that's a bit puzzling. I don't have Prime, but Netflix for me, at least the majority of what I'm watching, is all full screen, no black bars. This is not without exception - there are titles that will display back bars at top and bottom, and they vary from very thin bars to the ones you'd more typically expect or have seen. I've definitely not done anything special in Netflix for this, I don't think you can, though I'm not 100% certain on that. And nothing special to the TV either other than what I described above, that you pointed out is not available when you are in the app. I'll try exploring some more later today and see if anything jumps out at me, but report back if you figure anything out. Sorry couldn't be of more help, maybe somebody else can chime in here.....
Appreciate the help! Pretty much all movies on Netflix have a large black bar on the top and bottom. Avengers Infinity Wars, National Treasure, and Thor: Ragnarok are all example of movies that have the bars. I believe it is any movie or series that is HDR as HD is fine. I have the same issue when I play 4K movies on my OPPO player but the OPPO remote has a Zoom Features that allows me to get rid of any bars by using Full mode. Based on the above I believe I need to find out if it is possible to change the aspect of HDR movies on Nextflix though the APP on my TV which from what I have read on the internet is possible on PCs through settings but I cannot find any APP settings on the TV that will allow to make aspect changes for the Netflix APP on my TV. Thanks again for any help!
post #7839 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate the help! Pretty much all movies on Netflix have a large black bar on the top and bottom. Avengers Infinity Wars, National Treasure, and Thor: Ragnarok are all example of movies that have the bars. I believe it is any movie or series that is HDR as HD is fine. I have the same issue when I play 4K movies on my OPPO player but the OPPO remote has a Zoom Features that allows me to get rid of any bars by using Full mode. Based on the above I believe I need to find out if it is possible to change the aspect of HDR movies on Nextflix though the APP on my TV which from what I have read on the internet is possible on PCs through settings but I cannot find any APP settings on the TV that will allow to make aspect changes for the Netflix APP on my TV. Thanks again for any help!

I understand what you want but once again you purchased a 4k tv and a 4k Oppo and want to zoom the 4k movie to fill the entire screen. You’re not going to find many here to stand inline with you because you’re no longer viewing 4k once utilize the zoom function but it’s your tv.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #7840 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
what type of netflix do you have ? if it is - Basic you are only getting SD and would get black bars, to get HD + Ultra HD you need to have Premium
post #7841 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I understand what you want but once again you purchased a 4k tv and a 4k Oppo and want to zoom the 4k movie to fill the entire screen. You’re not going to find many here to stand inline with you because you’re no longer viewing 4k once utilize the zoom function but it’s your tv.
Understand your position and appreciate it as well but I still want to fill my screen with HDR movies. That being said while I appreciate your position I am looking for anyone with the technical expertise to assist me whether they agree with my rational or not. I would also say that the 4K movies on my OPPO in Full screen look fantastic.
post #7842 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony.xbr View Post
what type of netflix do you have ? if it is - Basic you are only getting SD and would get black bars, to get HD + Ultra HD you need to have Premium
Sorry as I should have mentioned that I have the 4K service. My issue is only with movies or series marked as HDR content. Any movie or series that is marked as HD (the content is marked when you select a move or series to watch at the top right before you select play) displays in full screen while any movie or series that is marked as HDR has the black bars on the top and bottom. Thanks...
post #7843 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Understand your position and appreciate it as well but I still want to fill my screen with HDR movies. That being said while I appreciate your position I am looking for anyone with the technical expertise to assist me whether they agree with my rational or not. I would also say that the 4K movies on my OPPO in Full screen look fantastic.

Bottom line you can’t zoom the embedded Netflix app

post #7844 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Bottom line you can’t zoom the embedded Netflix app
Appreciate the help as that is what I believe as well at this point. Looks like next step will be for me to explore using any streaming apps through my OPPO HDMI 2.0 input port instead of through the installed apps on the TV.
post #7845 of 7846 Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate the help as that is what I believe as well at this point. Looks like next step will be for me to explore using any streaming apps through my OPPO HDMI 2.0 input port instead of through the installed apps on the TV.

Yeah, I've been trying to keep up with the Oppo thread, but often fall behind. I don't know what kind of talk has been going on over there about it, but that's what I was thinking too....maybe go with an AppleTV or Roku through the HDMI In on the Oppo - but I'm not sure if all of that functionality exists on the HMDI In?? Somebody over there will know for sure, that is, if you don't already know.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #7846 of 7846 Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my 65" 930d. The display has developed these thin light horizontal lines over the whole screen. They seem to be a uniform spacing. The TV is just over the 2 year mark and has lived a nice pampered life. I'm talking to sony about what is going on but not sure what they will do for me.

Seems through research that this is usually a bad panel.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_202721_1547555857418.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	4.86 MB
ID:	2511018
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_080126_1547555903099.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	2511020   Click image for larger version