• 1 Post By P&Struefan

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Camcorder Search

Hello All:
I am new to this forum as well as to video shooting. I have had my own stills photography business for 5+ years and an avid shooter since the film days. I am branching out video now to begin a new market pursuit and have several other areas which I can use a camcorder with. Currently my wife and I shoot weddings, portraits, events, concerts, sporting events and real estate. I have Nikon FF cameras and glass and am very happy with it for stills. Recently I started to shoot videos with my D750 and after a short learning curve began to see fairly good videos except for the DSLR nemesis, focus hunting which drives me crazy...LOL..
I am currently looking at several camcorders that are entry level pro or prosumer camcorders, Sony NX80 or AX700, Canon AX11, XF400 or Vixia GX10. I often shoot in low light and fast moving objects, some dark (ie: K9 working dog trials or football games) I really like the Sony but am fearful of their menus and lack of a histogram to monitor the light. I also like the Canon 1" sensor cameras because of that but they lack the sharpness of the Sony models.. The xlr input isn't high on my priority list but could be important do to the fact that I am shooting the singing career of a young singer. I have a on camera Rode Pro+ which seems to work well.. I am also in the process of learning Adobe Premier Pro to compliment my Photoshop knowledge with stills
Thanks for your input please don't start a fanboy/troll contest in this thread. I appreciate your personal input on the cameras you use and how well they work in low light and fast moving environments.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 83
If low light is your key requirement, the Sony AX700 with outstanding 1" sensor is the clear leader among camcorders. You could also consider Sony A7s/A7III and Panasonic GH5s, which have larger sensors but are considerably more cumbersome with lenses. A Sony A7sII is rumored to be near release, which is likely to have the best low light plus outstanding autofocus from A9.
lpliv likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-11-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post
If low light is your key requirement, the Sony AX700 with outstanding 1" sensor is the clear leader among camcorders. You could also consider Sony A7s/A7III and Panasonic GH5s, which have larger sensors but are considerably more cumbersome with lenses. A Sony A7sII is rumored to be near release, which is likely to have the best low light plus outstanding autofocus from A9.
Thanks Hatchback, the AX700 is on my radar, I probably will stay away from the mirror less Sony dlsr because I already have a full compliment of Nikon Pro glass. The price and sharpness of the pictures from Sony camcorders is certainly one of their highest selling points. If I feel like I'm not getting full enough color I can always enrich the colors in Adobe PP.
Thanks again

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2019, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I second hatchback's recommendation of the Sony AX700 or NX80 for superior handling and hassle-free shooting. If you plan to use professional-level audio systems with the AX700 in the future the NX80 is the better buy as it's still cheaper if you add the cost of a separate XLR input handle (XLR-K2M) to the camera.
hatchback likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders