Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Older Crest Audio CKS800-2 amp for 2 PA460's?

Hey guys,

I can get one of these amps. (circa 1996) for less than $100 bucks. Here is the spec sheet:

http://www.ane.com.sg/pdf/cks800-2.pdf

Basically 400x2 @ 8 ohms. ( I want to run the subs in stereo as they will be doing mid-bass duties)

Class H amp and heavy.

Pros: Unbalanced inputs, 12 volt trigger, and sequential delayed startup

Cons: Old and heavy.

Would you jump on it?

Other options I'm looking at are a Crest Pro-Lite 3.0 at around $500

Thanks
TStubb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
michael hurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStubb View Post
Hey guys,

I can get one of these amps. (circa 1996) for less than $100 bucks. Here is the spec sheet:

http://www.ane.com.sg/pdf/cks800-2.pdf

Basically 400x2 @ 8 ohms. ( I want to run the subs in stereo as they will be doing mid-bass duties)

Class H amp and heavy.

Pros: Unbalanced inputs, 12 volt trigger, and sequential delayed startup

Cons: Old and heavy.

Would you jump on it?

Other options I'm looking at are a Crest Pro-Lite 3.0 at around $500

Thanks

No, I wouldn't jump on it. Besides having electrolytic capacitors that are at end of life, you also have no high pass filter to protect the drivers from over excursion, unless you can engineer your own plug in module, or luck out and find one that is suitable for your tuning.



Of course, you could add a MiniDSP unit in front of the amplifier, but that is penny wise and pound foolish.



Better to put that money into a new, current off the shelf amplifier that has DSP for high pass filtering, response shaping, dynamic eq and delay if needed, in my opinion.



In an SBB4 alignment, based on a 3rd party .wdr file that I modeled in WinISD, 190 watts brings it to 6 mm excursion one way. What is your tuning and box size?

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
michael hurd is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

In an SBB4 alignment, based on a 3rd party .wdr file that I modeled in WinISD, 190 watts brings it to 6 mm excursion one way. What is your tuning and box size?
Box will be sealed around 2.5-2.75 ^3. I understand that I still need DSP. Any decent amp with built-in DSP is going to cost $600 plus unless it is a Behringer, which I really can't swallow buying that brand.

I still have to buy an amp to power a ported UM-18 or HST-18 so I would rather not have $1600 plus in amps.

Is there an issue with running a miniDSP?
TStubb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
michael hurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStubb View Post
Box will be sealed around 2.5-2.75 ^3.

In that case, ~ 300 watts will drive it to 6 mm one-way excursion. Realistically, there is not much difference between 2.5 cu ft and 2.75 cu ft.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TStubb View Post
Is there an issue with running a miniDSP?

You may have issues with either over driving the input of the MiniDSP, or having a too-low output voltage from the MiniDSP, requiring the downstream amplifier gain to be turned all the way up, though this depends on your specific AV receiver / source and the model of MiniDSP.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
michael hurd is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
You may have issues with either over driving the input of the MiniDSP, or having a too-low output voltage from the MiniDSP, requiring the downstream amplifier gain to be turned all the way up, though this depends on your specific AV receiver / source and the model of MiniDSP.
I have a Yamaha Aventage 1060. I thought I had read in the past that the Yamaha's don't have the best output voltage wise. Do you have any insight into this and/or recommendation on whether or not going the route of a miniDSP would be an issue with this receiver?
TStubb is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
eriksells916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
TStubb, I am in the process of building my first HT subs and from my research the old inuke1000dsp or new nx1000d are very highly recommended. Good power, budget friendly and there are tons of posts here to help tweak the settings. It should rock your dual PA460s!

Also, I read the rx-a1060 doesn't calibrate below 31hz with the stock ypao mic so you have to get an aftermarket one? I am new to HT so I am not even sure that its required when your sub amp already has dsp built in?


Hope that helps?
eriksells916 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
michael hurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,287
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStubb View Post
I have a Yamaha Aventage 1060. I thought I had read in the past that the Yamaha's don't have the best output voltage wise. Do you have any insight into this and/or recommendation on whether or not going the route of a miniDSP would be an issue with this receiver?

Your owner's manual on page 159, the specification for the sub out is 1.0V into 470 ohms, though it also mentions a maximum output level of 2.0V or more. No mention if this is RMS or peak to peak, so your guess is as good as mine.



http://ca.yamaha.com/files/download...al_English.pdf

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
michael hurd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off