Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I need help with adding more subs.

I currently have (1) nu6000d running (2) 4cuft sealed DS4-18(one on each channel) and (1) nx6000d running one box of (4) cs1214 sealed on one channel. I would like to add 8 more cs1214's(two boxes of 4). I want to use a pre built 4 sub enclosure from qpower. The cuft is perfect, pre built and I have room constants.

My questions...

Is it possible to wire 2 boxes of 4 to the spare channel on the nx6000d?
Should I run the ds4's on 1 channel to free up 2 channels?
I don't really want to but do I need another amp?

please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_rep View Post
I currently have (1) nu6000d running (2) 4cuft sealed DS4-18(one on each channel) and (1) nx6000d running one box of (4) cs1214 sealed on one channel. I would like to add 8 more cs1214's(two boxes of 4). I want to use a pre built 4 sub enclosure from qpower. The cuft is perfect, pre built and I have room constants.

My questions...

Is it possible to wire 2 boxes of 4 to the spare channel on the nx6000d?
Should I run the ds4's on 1 channel to free up 2 channels?
I don't really want to but do I need another amp?

please help.
It's kind of up to you and how hard you want to push them. If you wire all 8 new ones to your free channel, I think you would have to wire them to 8ohms, which would give about 125 watts to each driver (1kw @ 8ohms). Depending on your breaker I believe you can get about 375 watts per driver if you are only driving 4 per channel (1.5kw @ 4ohms). These numbers come from http://forum.speakerplans.com/behri...opic69202.html if you are curious.

If you ran the ds4's on one channel instead they would be getting only 500 watts each, but that is an option as well.

The other factor is if you are running any DSP and where the subs are located, if your DS4's are not in the same place in the room and have a separate DSP, you would lose that running them off one channel. Same for running 2 boxes of cs1214's off one channel.

Personally, if you want to add 8 more I would keep your existing setup as is, and run the new ones off your free channel, and if you are not getting the performance you want out of them you can always buy another amp later.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Adam. I've found how to wire 8 subs in 2ohms but no other options for 4 or 8ohms. Do you know where I can find info on how to wire to 8 ohms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Thanks Adam. I've found how to wire 8 subs in 2ohms but no other options for 4 or 8ohms. Do you know where I can find info on how to wire to 8 ohms?
Im not finding a quick and easy guide for exactly what you want, but hopefully this image will help: http://images.crutchfieldonline.com...2-ohm_mono.jpg

This shows how to wire 4 single voice coil subs and keep the ohms the same (wired in series-parallel). If you wire up both of your boxes like this, and then wire the 2 boxes in series, you will then double the ohms (to 8).

So follow this wiring guide for each box, then plug the positive from one box into positive of the amp, the negative from that box into the positive of the other box, and the negative of the second box to the negative of the amp.

It gets a little complicated with so many woofers, if you are not confident you can always check the ohms with a cheap multimeter before plugging it all in.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Got it. Thank you for making this easy and clear to understand.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Wire each box to a be a 4 ohm load, and then wire the two boxes in series for a 8 ohm load.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ender. Does this look right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 ohm.png
Views:	17
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2509480  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
@dm_rep The wiring diagram looks right. Series-parallel wiring of those drivers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs