Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Questions regarding receiver - amplifier and diy SW

I have a Sony STR DN1080 receiver which has an LFE output that, according to the manual, has a voltage of 2V / 1kilo ohm.

Right now I am running the LFE to an ART CLEANBoxPro and after that a a Behringer NU3000DSP and then to 2x Dayton Ultimax UM15-22 subwoofers. Everything OK for now.

The thing is, to de-clutter my TV rack, I am trying to loose the CleanBox Pro and also get a nicer looking amplifier (Behringer NU series are ugly as hell) maybe even getting a 1U unit.

Most Power Amplifiers have balanced, and some also have unbalanced inputs. I.E. the Behringer EUROPOWER EPX3000 has unbalanced inputs with an Input Sensitivity of 1.17V and Input Impedance of 10 kOhms unbalanced.

So what does it means? The STR1080 outputs 2V@1KOhms and the amplifier has a sensitivity of 1.17V@10KOhms, does it mean the amplifier won't register enough signal from the receiver to amplify it?

I am just trying to understand what specs I am looking on an amplifier (and maybe on a receiver if I upgrade later) to have the certainty that the LFE signal will be powerful enough to properly feed a PA amplifier (plate amplifier are out, as I can't get them in my country).

Ideally without using all the LFE gain on the receiver and in the amplifier. Yes, I tried using the STR1080 directly to feed the NU3000DSP but I needed +10 gain on the LFE output and quite a lot of gain on the NU3000DSP to get signal output on the subwoofers, and even then the subwoofers had a weird "hiss" noise.

Finally, does the MiniDSP works as a line level (and unbalanced to balanced) converter like the CleanBox Pro?

Regards and thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by marto2009 View Post
I have a Sony STR DN1080 receiver which has an LFE output that, according to the manual, has a voltage of 2V / 1kilo ohm.

Right now I am running the LFE to an ART CLEANBoxPro and after that a a Behringer NU3000DSP and then to 2x Dayton Ultimax UM15-22 subwoofers. Everything OK for now.

The thing is, to de-clutter my TV rack, I am trying to loose the CleanBox Pro and also get a nicer looking amplifier (Behringer NU series are ugly as hell) maybe even getting a 1U unit.

Most Power Amplifiers have balanced, and some also have unbalanced inputs. I.E. the Behringer EUROPOWER EPX3000 has unbalanced inputs with an Input Sensitivity of 1.17V and Input Impedance of 10 kOhms unbalanced.

So what does it means? The STR1080 outputs 2V@1KOhms and the amplifier has a sensitivity of 1.17V@10KOhms, does it mean the amplifier won't register enough signal from the receiver to amplify it?

I am just trying to understand what specs I am looking on an amplifier (and maybe on a receiver if I upgrade later) to have the certainty that the LFE signal will be powerful enough to properly feed a PA amplifier (plate amplifier are out, as I can't get them in my country).

Ideally without using all the LFE gain on the receiver and in the amplifier. Yes, I tried using the STR1080 directly to feed the NU3000DSP but I needed +10 gain on the LFE output and quite a lot of gain on the NU3000DSP to get signal output on the subwoofers, and even then the subwoofers had a weird "hiss" noise.

Finally, does the MiniDSP works as a line level (and unbalanced to balanced) converter like the CleanBox Pro?

Regards and thanks in advance for your help
My understanding is that the input sensitivity of 1.17V on your amplifier means that if you provide it with a signal of 1.17V amplitude, you will acheive the maximum output from the amplifier. This means that your 2V from the receiver is more than enough.

For my setup, I just used an unbalanced to balanced cable. Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That cable goes between the subwoofer (RCA) output of my AVR to the XLR input of the NU6000DSP.

As for the miniDSP, there is a balanced version and an unbalanced version. I've successfully used the miniDSP HD (unbalanced). I believe it has higher voltage limits/output as well (vs the non-HD version). I don't think you *need* the balanced version. However, if you don't have a DSP in your amplifier, and the receiver and amp connectors are both balanced (XLR), then I'd go with a balanced miniDSP.

Just my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Crown 2502 (or two 1502's) and minidsp 2x4 HD

Crown looks better (and you can turn off all lights) and has RCA inputs and adjustable input sensitivity, the minidsp has all the flexibility in the world, plus you can mess around with DIRAC later if so inclined. The HD has a lot more output capability than the non-HD version. Between that and the crown adjustable input sensitivity I never run into issues no matter what weird boost scheme I have cooked up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs