post #1 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help for DIY System

Hello,

Long time viewer, first time poster.

Finally getting ready to start finalizing what i am going to do. Per a recommendation from Erich, i have decided to go with the Cobalt 8's from diysg. Small enough for the wife, but have enough output that i will be happy with. I will be going with mt version for LR and MTM for C duty. Will also be going with flatpacks for simplicity. Issue is, comes with the center channel. The dimensions on the Cobalt center is 10" high when laid horizontally, my tv stand's (pictured below) shelf only gives me clearance for 8". Question is, can there be modifications made that will allow the center to fit? Will there be enough room in the
baffle to mount the driver if i cut it down to the 8" height? Im decently handy, so i have no problem doing it myself, just not sure if schematically it would work. Also could be interested in buying another center channel that would fit, just not sure if there are options out there that would match well.

Im not sure what im going to do for the sub yet. Either looking at 15"/18" ultimax with a inuke 1000D/3000D. Problem is, from my understanding in order to use the DSP properly, a mic is needed for measurements. a mic isnt in the budget for the time being so i would be at the mercy of room acoustics and guesswork to getting it sounding good. Any thoughts?

I built a pair of OS mt a couple years ago, so they will be used for Surround duty for the time being. I know they cant match up with the colbalt's but i want to ensure i can build the best possible LCR first. Then build something better for surrounds later.

Room is around 1700 cft.

Receiver will be a standard 7.2 system from one of the main brands Denon/Yahamah/Onkyo/Sony. Just havent decided which one yet.

Any advice, thoughts would be extremely helpful. All the post I have read over the past year have been great insight, just super pumped about getting started on my own!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 102
FYI, I am not able to see any attachments for a picture.

If you are placing the center channel into a cavity of a TV stand, there will be some considerations. For one, the Cobalt is rear ported, so if the speaker seals out the cavity, your lower frequency response will not be as good as it could be. Seeing how it will sit in this stand will be a factor there.

The baffle for the Cobalt doesn't give very much room from the woofer to the edge. Trying to use an 8" woofer in a 8" opening will be very difficult. If you can't modify the TV stand to fit the enclosure, you might have to reconsider the furniture to suit audio needs (haha!). Not sure what furniture modification could be considered either, need to see what is being utilized. Otherwise, reconsider the size of speaker you are using. I know the Apollo is more pricey, but is has a shorter baffle with a little more room outside of the woofers to do what you are suggesting. On the upside, the Apollo is a better speaker overall based on specs.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you response. the back of the Stand is open so there would be aprox 8"-10" of space between the back of the speaker and the wall. Is that enough space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 PM
Audio Pack Rat

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Here my opinion based on past experience and not doing it right the first or second or freakin third time. If you want good audio and you are ready to lay down hard earned cash/credit for it then DO NOT LIMIT your choices based on your furniture. Buy the right speakers the first time and maybe change out one piece of furniture one time. Otherwise you will jump head first down the shoulda coulda rabbit hole and end up spending a lot more in the long run.

Samsung 82 inch, DIYSG HTM12's, Fusion Center, HTM6"s , PSA XS30 X 2, Emotiva XMC-1, Panasonic DMP-UB200, Roku Ultra, Emotiva XPA5.
Garage: UMC-200, Roku2 , Emotiva Airmotiv 5's,Crown XLI 800, HSU TN1225 SUB, Vizio 24" TV.
Computer: Sennheiser GSX1000 & Senn HD598se(wired) & Senn RS185 (wireless) headphones, Antlion Modmic (wireless), Emotiva Airmotiv 5's
post #6 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmaniac View Post
Here my opinion based on past experience and not doing it right the first or second or freakin third time. If you want good audio and you are ready to lay down hard earned cash/credit for it then DO NOT LIMIT your choices based on your furniture. Buy the right speakers the first time and maybe change out one piece of furniture one time. Otherwise you will jump head first down the shoulda coulda rabbit hole and end up spending a lot more in the long run.
This is very good information indeed. You will be better off changing the stand and getting the speakers you want than short changing your self and doing it over again and again. Buy right the first time and you save a lot of money in the long run.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_J View Post
This is very good information indeed. You will be better off changing the stand and getting the speakers you want than short changing your self and doing it over again and again. Buy right the first time and you save a lot of money in the long run.
I definitely agree. I think for what i want. The Cobalts would be great. Just not sure how the whole center channel is going to work out. The wife just bought the TV stand last week, so i cant replace it for the foreseeable future. A tleast if i want to stay married.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Can you put the center channel on top of the stand and mount the TV to the wall?
post #9 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I agree, mounting to the wall with that stand would look nice. Very easy to hide wires
post #10 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIguy9 View Post
I agree, mounting to the wall with that stand would look nice. Very easy to hide wires
Yea I think mounting it to the wall is a great option. May have to talk my wife into letting me. She tends to move furniture around quite often so she might not go for it.

Thank you all for the replies!
post #11 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Happy Wife, happy life! Good luck
post #12 of 20 Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Only one real problem I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewweaver24 View Post
... talk my wife into letting me...
Shoes and purses.... 'nuff said.

IMO, of course, and YMMV

Joseph

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
post #13 of 20 Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any insight on the subwoofer problem?
post #14 of 20 Old 01-09-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
If you go with an ultimax 18" I would get a bigger amp, I think many use the iNuke 6000, as far as the mic, its certainly helpful for setting up the DSP but no required, I would however look into getting one as soon as you could though.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Considering what you've said and what appears to be limited floor space in the picture, I'm guessing you are eyeing a sealed flat pack. I'm also assuming this is a dedicated area (not open to other rooms/areas).

With that said, at 1700 cubic ft room, you could do 2 sealed UM15's and be very happy, especially if you are coming from HTIB type of experience. The question is, what are your expectations?

The UM18 is an "easy button" recommendation here, but if you have a smaller sealed/semi-sealed room and don't expect to go deaf, the 15's can save you some floor space and budget. So many times I read some recommendations here and they can actually be way beyond what will satisfy someone coming from a HTIB. Heck, sometimes the suggestions are excessive for someone coming from a novice DIY system lol. The spectrum of "a good system" here is quite wide, but usually the most reasonable DIY system obliterates consumer offerings.

If you have no intentions of using DSP, you'll do yourself the biggest favor by doing a sub crawl. If you are not familiar with it, just search the forums a bit, probably somewhere in the FAQ at the top.

Another great helper is running multiples and having a receiver that can calibrate for two separate sub outs (Audyssey XT32 for example).
post #16 of 20 Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

yea I think a pair of um15's may just do the trick. That way i can experiment with one then have everything settled build the next. Plus, i will be moving in the next year, so it would fit in the next house.

Now back to the LCR question. I can build the S2000 MT for LR and MTM for C and everything will fit. OR i can build the Cobalts (what i actually want) LR. Wont be able to do the center right now until i figure out how i am going to get the center to fit. Would it be better to get the s2000 and get the full Front stage or get the cobalts and only run a L and R?
post #17 of 20 Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Considering the S2000 fits the furniture and you might use that furniture again in a new place a year from now, I think you'd be happy with them. One reviewer was very pleased with the matching S2000 front soundstage. You would have to check with Erich for how well voice matched the Cobalts are to the S2000, but I'd guess you would be best served keeping the front 3 from the same series.

If you think the S2000 L & R are going to be lacking, could you do the S2000 MTMs for all 3 front channels?
post #18 of 20 Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
Considering the S2000 fits the furniture and you might use that furniture again in a new place a year from now, I think you'd be happy with them. One reviewer was very pleased with the matching S2000 front soundstage. You would have to check with Erich for how well voice matched the Cobalts are to the S2000, but I'd guess you would be best served keeping the front 3 from the same series.

If you think the S2000 L & R are going to be lacking, could you do the S2000 MTMs for all 3 front channels?
Not sure why i havent thought of this? Might just be the perfect solution! I can build the S2000 MTM now, then when i move build the HTM's for the basement! Sounds like a pretty good solution.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Yea I think mounting it to the wall is a great option. May have to talk my wife into letting me. She tends to move furniture around quite often so she might not go for it.

Thank you all for the replies!
Obviously your subs aren't big enough if your wife can still move them!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #20 of 20 Old 01-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The opening is 8 inches? Max you can get in there is an MTM with a 6 1/2" drivers. Not sure but I think there used to be a cinema 6. That would fit. You'd have to check with Erich to see 1) is that true 2) still got parts.

I'm having to customize the fusion 8 center myself to get it into my built-in, but it's more of a tweak. Also I got gear to do it with, so there's that.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs