Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By TIV13
  • 1 Post By mhutchins
  • 1 Post By mhutchins
  • 1 Post By Augerhandle
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Help please

Hello everyone! I don't want to bother Erich more than I already have and would love suggestions from some of the more experienced users here.

I've always wanted a home theater room that is nicer than the local movie theater.
My room size is 19x15 feet with 8 feet ceilings. I sit around 6 feet from my TV to my chair. OLED.(B7A)
I have a very ****ty room lay out attached. The | | are doors. The || || are windows
I'd like to support Erich and purchase from him. I need to be able to purchase the flat pack, speakers and crossover stuff from him.

I want a 5.2.4 set up. And maybe eventually a 7.2.4 set up. I plan to get the sub woofer speaker devices that go under your chairs to vibrate.
The distance from the bottom of my TV to the media stand is around 9 inches. Due to the trim, I can go to a max of 11. I'm not against getting a new media stand though.

I do not have a size limit for the speakers or sub, so long as the are not dog house sized.


I have a new denon 4400 receiver waiting to be used.

I watch 85% tv shows/anime, 10% movies, 5% games.

What speakers would you recommend for the 5.2.4?

My budget is while not unlimited is pretty flexable(buy once cry once), I would like to keep it as affordable and best bang for my buck as possible. Maybe around 1000 for the L/R/C.



If you need any more information please ask.
Thank you to anyone who reads this and can help me out.

http://imgur.com/a/YaYnCBh
TIV13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 21,094
Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 3521
HTM12 would be a good choice. considering your viewing, the HTM10 would probably do just fine.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is online now  
post #3 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
HTM12 would be a good choice. considering your viewing, the HTM10 would probably do just fine.
What about the rear, atmos and subwoofers?
tjambro likes this.
TIV13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 05:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: In the land of Oz
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Help please

You could do (5) Volt 10LX v2’s. That would be great as all of your “bed” channels are the same and they’re not very big. You should be able to fit it under your tv as a center channel if you can modify the flat pack. Then when you are ready/wanting to add more channels you can just add more Volt 10’s.
Also, if you are really sitting in the center of your room like your attachment shows, you are most likely not going to have a good bass response due to room modes. My .02 is to rearrange your setup if possible. If that’s not an option, place your two subwoofers as close to your seating position as possible to combat the room modes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Purenv; 11-10-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Purenv is online now  
post #5 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
You could do (5) Volt 10LX v2’s. That would be great as all of your “bed” channels are the same and they’re not very big. You should be able to fit it under your tv as a center channel if you can modify the flat pack. Then when you are ready/wanting to add more channels you can just add more Volt 10’s.
Also, if you are really sitting in the center of your room like your attachment shows, you are most likely not going to have a good bass response due to room modes. My .02 is to rearrange your setup if possible. If that’s not an option, place your two subwoofers as close to your seating position as possible to combat the room modes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are the volts as good at the HTMs? Better? Worse?

Thank you for the feedback. What could you recommend for the ceiling speakers?
TIV13 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Maple Grove MN
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIV13 View Post
Are the volts as good at the HTMs? Better? Worse?

Thank you for the feedback. What could you recommend for the ceiling speakers?

From what i know both are supposed to be nice speakers. The htm will be better than the volts but if the space doesn't work that way for you then go with the volts.

Then for subs what is your budget and size constraints. Is there going to to be a WAF issue. Most of the sube people around here are going to recommend are going to be 18" and up. If you want to be in the big dog territory then you could go with something like a SI Hs-24 and a sp1-4000 amp to drive it. My guess is the sub might go on sale black Friday so you could get both sub and amp for 2k or so.
Randy_J is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
markg35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 691
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Almost all the DIY Soundgroup designs are going to require a decent subwoofer or multiples(especially for movie theater response).

What you were referring to are "buttkickers" which aren't going to replace subwoofers but add tactile response.

The HTM suggestion is a great one.The only issue I see is room for your center channel.Is there any way to increase that dimension?
markg35 is online now  
post #8 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: In the land of Oz
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIV13 View Post
Are the volts as good at the HTMs? Better? Worse?



Thank you for the feedback. What could you recommend for the ceiling speakers?


As for the comparison, the HTM series is “better” but, I suggested the Volt series because of your size constraints for your center channel. Plus the Volts work great for mains, surrounds, and Atmos speakers.
That would be the ideal situation to have all the speakers the same... well except you will need at least 2 subwoofers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purenv is online now  
post #9 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
As for the comparison, the HTM series is “better” but, I suggested the Volt series because of your size constraints for your center channel. Plus the Volts work great for mains, surrounds, and Atmos speakers.
OP should not be afraid of mixing different speakers up front either. I have HTM-10s for L/R and a Volt-6 as a center due to space constraints (build threads in my sig). They work very well together...
smcmillan2 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
mhutchins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Since you are willing to go with a new table to support the TV, I would definitely go with the HTM-12s for LCR duty and use the Volts for surrounds. I have the DIYSG "Cheap Thrills" which is a 15" woofer and the 12"waveguide/compression driver (tweeter) for my LCR and the original Volt 10's for my 4 surround channels. You will not be disappointed with the sound field produced by the HTM-12/Volt-10 combo. The slightly larger HTM-12s over the Volt-10s will yield better dynamics, eg you will jump from the impact of gunshots in action movies or door slams in suspense thrillers. It is for this reason that I recommend the combo rather than Volt-10s all around.

With regards to subs, go as big as you can get away with and as many as you can squeeze into the room. Hide them under end tables or behind sofas. There are diminishing returns after two subs, but there are definite advantages to increasing the number up to 4 dispersed evenly around the room. Multiple subs will combat room modes which cause uneven bass energy in different parts of the room, both vertically and horizontally.

Mike
humbland likes this.
mhutchins is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_J View Post
From what i know both are supposed to be nice speakers. The htm will be better than the volts but if the space doesn't work that way for you then go with the volts.

Then for subs what is your budget and size constraints. Is there going to to be a WAF issue. Most of the sube people around here are going to recommend are going to be 18" and up. If you want to be in the big dog territory then you could go with something like a SI Hs-24 and a sp1-4000 amp to drive it. My guess is the sub might go on sale black Friday so you could get both sub and amp for 2k or so.
No WAF so long as they arent a dog house. I was considering 2x of 18".

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Almost all the DIY Soundgroup designs are going to require a decent subwoofer or multiples(especially for movie theater response).

What you were referring to are "buttkickers" which aren't going to replace subwoofers but add tactile response.

The HTM suggestion is a great one.The only issue I see is room for your center channel.Is there any way to increase that dimension?
I just wanted the butt kickers to enhance the experience with dual subs.
I'm not opposed to purchasing a new media stand. I forgot to mention my TV is wall mounted and a pain in the ass to move the TV. If push comes to shove I could, but would prefer to move the media stand TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenv View Post
As for the comparison, the HTM series is “better” but, I suggested the Volt series because of your size constraints for your center channel. Plus the Volts work great for mains, surrounds, and Atmos speakers.
That would be the ideal situation to have all the speakers the same... well except you will need at least 2 subwoofers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I can get a new media stand for the HTMs.
Are there any other less expensive options for the atmos speakers? I was reading online you don't need crazy ones and 400 for them seems crazy, but I don't know **** about anything so I'll let the experienced people chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
OP should not be afraid of mixing different speakers up front either. I have HTM-10s for L/R and a Volt-6 as a center due to space constraints (build threads in my sig). They work very well together...
I was told that you want to have the L/R/C the same whenever possible so everything sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
Since you are willing to go with a new table to support the TV, I would definitely go with the HTM-12s for LCR duty and use the Volts for surrounds. I have the DIYSG "Cheap Thrills" which is a 15" woofer and the 12"waveguide/compression driver (tweeter) for my LCR and the original Volt 10's for my 4 surround channels. You will not be disappointed with the sound field produced by the HTM-12/Volt-10 combo. The slightly larger HTM-12s over the Volt-10s will yield better dynamics, eg you will jump from the impact of gunshots in action movies or door slams in suspense thrillers. It is for this reason that I recommend the combo rather than Volt-10s all around.

With regards to subs, go as big as you can get away with and as many as you can squeeze into the room. Hide them under end tables or behind sofas. There are diminishing returns after two subs, but there are definite advantages to increasing the number up to 4 dispersed evenly around the room. Multiple subs will combat room modes which cause uneven bass energy in different parts of the room, both vertically and horizontally.

Mike
Sorry I forgot to mention my TV is wall mounted, but I can still get a new media stand.
Would you recommend the volt-10 for the surround in my set up?

What about atmos speakers?
Thank you for the information Mike.
Would you say 2 bigger subs is better than 4 smaller ones?
TIV13 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 11-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhutchins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIV13 View Post
.
.
.
Would you recommend the volt-10 for the surround in my set up?

What about atmos speakers?
Thank you for the information Mike.
Would you say 2 bigger subs is better than 4 smaller ones?
YES - Volt-10s for surrounds and Atmos if you have the room, otherwise Volt-8s. The compression driver (tweeter) is the same for all the Volts; the only difference is the size of the woofer.

Subs - 2x 18" subs has nearly the same surface area as 5x 12" subs, so by going with 4 smaller subs, you do give up a little bit of cone area (cone area is a major determinant of output level when comparing similar speakers). On the other hand, 4x 12" subs will require smaller enclosures and can offer smoother bass response throughout the room. There are more trade offs with the smaller subwoofers, and that would be less extension into the lower frequencies and lastly, greater expense in drivers and amps. If it were me, and I couldn't fit 4x 18" subs, I would find a way to get at least 2x 18" subs and then spend a little time and money on sub placement and room acoustic treatments.

Mike
mhutchins is online now  
post #13 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
YES - Volt-10s for surrounds and Atmos if you have the room, otherwise Volt-8s. The compression driver (tweeter) is the same for all the Volts; the only difference is the size of the woofer.

Subs - 2x 18" subs has nearly the same surface area as 5x 12" subs, so by going with 4 smaller subs, you do give up a little bit of cone area (cone area is a major determinant of output level when comparing similar speakers). On the other hand, 4x 12" subs will require smaller enclosures and can offer smoother bass response throughout the room. There are more trade offs with the smaller subwoofers, and that would be less extension into the lower frequencies and lastly, greater expense in drivers and amps. If it were me, and I couldn't fit 4x 18" subs, I would find a way to get at least 2x 18" subs and then spend a little time and money on sub placement and room acoustic treatments.

Mike
Thank you Mike.
I was told that atmos speakers don't have a ton of sound come from them so you can skimp out on them. Is this not the case? I don't mind spending more than I thought on them if its a noticeable difference.

Room treatment is something I'm going to do. Custom art DIY panels around the room and a nice rug to go in front of the chairs and TV.

What is the best method to get multiple subs and butt kickers? A cord splitter thing?
TIV13 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 06:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: In the land of Oz
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIV13 View Post
Thank you Mike.

I was told that atmos speakers don't have a ton of sound come from them so you can skimp out on them. Is this not the case? I don't mind spending more than I thought on them if its a noticeable difference.



Room treatment is something I'm going to do. Custom art DIY panels around the room and a nice rug to go in front of the chairs and TV.



What is the best method to get multiple subs and butt kickers? A cord splitter thing?


By all means, if you can fit the HTM 12 do so. Again, the only reason I suggested the Volt 10’s across the front was because of space constraints and keeping the speakers consistent for better sound/voicing.
If you’re trying to save a little money then use Volt 8’s for Atmos only and Volt 10’s for the surrounds. If you need to save even more than use the Volt 8’s for Atmos and all of the surround channels.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purenv is online now  
post #15 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
mhutchins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Right now, the Volt-8 with angled enclosure is only $7.50 less than the Volt-10 with an angled enclosure. Unless space is a consideration, there isn't much of a savings from stepping down to the Volt-8. The new pricing on the Volt version 2 series (there is no longer an LX) is very aggressive. You can build 2 surrounds and 4 Atmos Volt 10s for under $1200. Add another $1050 for the 3 HTM-12s and you would have one kick a$$ audio system, just add subs.

If you want to save money, buy 6 Volt-10s now and use 5 of them for for a 5.x system. Then, down the road, buy 3 HTM-12s for LCR and and re-purpose the Volts for Atmos. The extra Volt is to make sure they all match when you buy the new LCRs and convert from 5.x to 5.x.4.

Mike
michael hurd likes this.
mhutchins is online now  
post #16 of 19 Old 11-11-2018, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
Right now, the Volt-8 with angled enclosure is only $7.50 less than the Volt-10 with an angled enclosure. Unless space is a consideration, there isn't much of a savings from stepping down to the Volt-8. The new pricing on the Volt version 2 series (there is no longer an LX) is very aggressive. You can build 2 surrounds and 4 Atmos Volt 10s for under $1200. Add another $1050 for the 3 HTM-12s and you would have one kick a$$ audio system, just add subs.

If you want to save money, buy 6 Volt-10s now and use 5 of them for for a 5.x system. Then, down the road, buy 3 HTM-12s for LCR and and re-purpose the Volts for Atmos. The extra Volt is to make sure they all match when you buy the new LCRs and convert from 5.x to 5.x.4.

Mike
What sub woofer encloser and speaker could you recommend specifically please? I'm an idiot at this stuff and would love a direct recommendation if you dont mind.
TIV13 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: About 25" away from my computer screen
Posts: 4,929
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIV13 View Post

…I do not have a size limit for the speakers or sub, so long as the are not dog house sized....


Thanks! What a great design idea for an outdoor sub project!
TIV13 likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
Augerhandle is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhutchins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIV13 View Post
What sub woofer encloser and speaker could you recommend specifically please? I'm an idiot at this stuff and would love a direct recommendation if you dont mind.
GSG Audio Design Mini-Marty with a Dayton RSS460HO-4

I don't know if you are close to SoCal, but this is who I would recommend. They should have their shipping situation straightened out soon. John, aka @LTD02 , has assisted hundreds of DIYers, including me, with their sub designs and has recently started his own subwoofer company.

Mike
mhutchins is online now  
post #19 of 19 Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I agree that HTM12 is rather good choise in your situation.
Kapitonov is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off