• 2 Post By Blacklightning
  • 1 Post By hd0823

post #1 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DIY THT Subwoofer pedestal bed couch for HT?

I know, the title seems like a lot...but let me describe this to hopefully give you a better insight to my thoughts for this project.

I moved in with My Fiancee and took over the unfinished basement as my game room / Home theater. I have been doing little things here and there to try to be prepared before I finish the HT off (redoing some electrical, running some new electrical lines, moving some vents and plumbing as I can etc etc).

One Idea I had that she loved was to take two memory foam mattresses and make an L type couch with them. she always complains no couch is ever comfortable enough for her to lay on to relax so I decided to give this a go. I was going to just make simple pedestal bases for them (and line with LED Lights of course)......but then I got to thinking.....

right now the basement floors are concrete. and while I will be finishing this off and putting a subfloor down....my Outlaw Audio LFM Plus is lost in this basement not having the same punch as it did before. and I thought about adding another subwoofer.... so....why not make the pedestal base in to a THT sub? It would seem like this could potentially also work well as then it would almost be like those transducers you would attach to a couch...so at lower listening levels... you could still somewhat feel the bass.

so...think this would be feasible or should I do something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 928
creative, you are

why not make 2, 30 or 36" wide THTLP's

layem down on the floor

you may need to add some extra "bracing' , a few full sides covered in 3/4" ply maybe , exterior bracing stuff
on the outside of the case but that won't effect the actual build.

maybe a bit more bullet proof

build a short riser to support the whole thing

and hopefully have it positioned for optimal loading, viewing, enjoying
I have 2 that run on BASH 300 amps and wish I had more EQ i could apply,

but a berry NX1000D will have the chance to dial them in better . .
HTH

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope to use a Twin sized and full sized 12" thick memory foam mattress so I figured the pedestal part would be near the length of the mattress for both but the width part I'd let the mattress go out about 2" before the wood plate under would be felt so we didn't feel it or knock in to it when we got up or down, and then the "pedestal" part would be a couple inches back form the edge of the plate that the mattress sits on again so we don't kick it on accident... plus then I can line the bottom with LED strips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post
It would seem like this could potentially also work well as then it would almost be like those transducers you would attach to a couch...so at lower listening levels... you could still somewhat feel the bass.
Your Fiancee might love this too much.
Make sure you get a few mattress protectors, things might escalate quickly.
asarose247 and notfastenough like this.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, so I decided on a few things for my HT (placement of things, layout, screen type, etc etc).

So now I need to get something figured out and finalized for my DIY sub build.

as I said right now I am in a basement but will be putting down under lament (its a moisture barrier that looks like an infinite ice cube tray) and then OSB for the subfloor which will then be tapcon'ed down to the concrete floor. The "theater" area will be framed up and electrical / speaker wires and etc run. This sub floor and the walls I would assume will help with LFE somewhat compared to the concrete / openfloorplan I have now (which combined with the room size 22x24 and a "horn" stairwell running right in the middle of the room (all sound travels up it and is amplified upstairs... but not where I need it downstairs lol) is about muting my Outlaw Audio LFM-1 plus

I am building the DIY L shaped couch as mentioned above, but also decided to go with a spandex screen which allows me to put the speakers "in wall" behind the screen.... and I can possibly put a sub in there as well as opposed to the base of the couch... or I can do both lmao (ok I'd prob end up doing both in the end).

But I am still stuck on "what" subwoofer to build.... I am going to try to contact danley labs and see if they still possibly sell the DTS-10 kits but I do not think they do anymore Years ago I remember them being fantastic with high spl and going very low... which of course is what most HT people want. I am trying to research now on folded horn and tuba subs and the like (seen some "full marty" subs too) but there is a bit too much information to ingest and process. Whilst I am not the most experienced builder I have done my fair share of projects that were more than I should have gotten in to in the past and did well lol
post #6 of 11 Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If your interest lies in something like the Danley, then I would highly suggest investigating the SUBMAXIMUS. Check out @hd0823 on his build of four of these monsters here.

Two of these would be phenomenal in a room. If you are a bass head and enjoy horns, give it a whirl!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 306
If you want a horn and are not put off by the required cubes they take up, then some of the easiest builds with the best results are the SubMaxiumus and the LOWARHORN.

Like I said, easy to build and provide more SPL and cleaner output than the DTS-10. I sold my DTS in order to build a LOWARHORN and reduced the height dimension considerably. The LF extension is 95% the same as well...to about 13.5 Hz vs. ~11Hz fir the DTS. The new sub disappears behind the couch!

post #8 of 11 Old 01-10-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I see someone beat me to the punch with the suggestion, ironically 'notfastenough'!
Also, the DTS is so limited in placement due to its dimensions and you can build something for much less, its like getting a free amp.

Last edited by jpmst3; 01-10-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
If your interest lies in something like the Danley, then I would highly suggest investigating the SUBMAXIMUS. Check out @hd0823 on his build of four of these monsters here.

Two of these would be phenomenal in a room. If you are a bass head and enjoy horns, give it a whirl!
Yeah tested out john wick 2 tunnel scene tonight after getting the baffle wall extension areas done and its literally ridiculous in there. Every seat feels like there a buttkicker in there and this is without really tweaking that much. I can vouch for the v3s that there a awesome design.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
notfastenough likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

excellent suggestions, reading up on them through the day today. I tried to re-do a subwoofer crawl last night and discovered that in the move the plug from my LFM-1 Plus wasn't in. I put it in and then found out someone had turned the level down on the sub as well.... (must have been my daughter while she was in). Needless to say things improved a bit but running some frequency sweeps I noticed that about 20Hz it sounds flappy, like the air is flapping more than feeling it. But reguardless I still plan on going bigger, I want to feel the impact. I thought about transducers in addition to a new sub but I think with the couch I am building having memory foam mattresses on it the effect may get lost lol.

I'm going to create `a master thread in the Theater forum once I can get time to get proper measurements and create a floor plan. This is a multi purpouse room though as it hosts my retro game collection as well.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Reading up a little on the LFM, it only shows response to 25 hz. Whether it's because that's the -3 or 6 db point, or due to DSP, etc, I don't know.

If you have one port plugged and the DSP isn't aggressive enough on the HPF, you will have chuffing when below the tune. With a sub designed for response at 20hz, the waves produced will be close to inaudible.

This is the point where I hear my walls popping more than I hear sound from the subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs