post #1321 of 1371 Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
How are people getting more than 3 of these. Best Buy only allows me to put 3 in my cart.

Thanks
Bought 3 online and 2 in store (there were only 3 in stock at the store).

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1371 Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
"The Problems of Low Frequency Reproduction" happens to be a free, open access paper. There is much wisdom in this almost 67 year old paper.
Michael....Thanks for sharing. That was a good read. Always something nostalgic about reading audio papers that refer to frequency in cps. Took me a minute to figure out what per cent is....never thought of percentage in this way but it now makes sense after seeing it separated like that...lol.

As I was reading the article, it was clear what impact the advancement of modern day materials and manufacturing processes has had on low frequency speakers. I'm thinking particularly the material advancements for the surrounds and uniformity of thickness for the cones made possible by improved manufacturing processes.

This also explains why I've had to replace so many foam surrounds with rubber surrounds over the years when working with vintage speakers....lol. The engineers back in the day loved those foam surrounds for the reason cited in the article. My 1962 Sherwood Ravinias are still an engineering marvel today....yeah, they were made at the now-defunct Sherwood factory in Ravinia, IL. My dad went there and physically picked the speakers up directly from the factory. A little TLC has worked wonders for those speakers over the years especially those woofers.

Interesting to read the article and it's reference to home applications vs. cinema. In addition to screen sizes attracting people to cinemas, it was also the rumble effect. My dad told me a story about the movie Earthquake when it first came out and how it was such a sonic hit with it's sound design and ability to deliver low frequency effects. They would take these "infra bass" speakers from cinema to cinema for special showings attracting people over and over again for the "rumble" experience.

Below is an excerpt from Wikipedia about the film Earthquake (1974).....funny reading about the nets that had to be installed over head in the theaters. Makes me think of the modern day Dolby Prime Cinemas and how they're maximizing low frequency effects with transducers in each seat to draw people to their theaters instead of competitors.

I guess our hobby of home theater has been a big beneficiary of advancement in low frequency sound....smaller boxes, smaller drivers but still respectable low frequency capability in our homes without having to go to the cinema.

Also, in retrospect, it's cool to see how we all individually chase the LFE holy grail in each of our applications to enhance the "experience".

Great paper....Thanks for sharing.

Excerpt from Wikipedia for the film Earthquake (1974)

"Universal Studios and Jennings Lang wanted Earthquake to be an "event film", something that would draw audiences into the theatre multiple times. After several ideas were tossed about (which included bouncing styrofoam faux "debris" over audience members' heads), Universal's sound department came up with a process called "Sensurround" – a series of large speakers made by Cerwin-Vega powered by BGW amplifiers, that would pump in sub-audible "infra bass" sound waves at 120 decibels (equivalent to a jet airplane at takeoff), giving the viewer the sensation of an earthquake. The process was tested in several theatres around the United States prior to the film's release, yielding various results. A famous example is Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California, where the "Sensurround" cracked the plaster in the ceiling. The same theatre premiered Earthquake three months later – with a newly installed net over the audience to catch any falling debris – to tremendous success."
post #1323 of 1371 Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Excerpt from Wikipedia for the film Earthquake (1974)

"Universal Studios and Jennings Lang wanted Earthquake to be an "event film", something that would draw audiences into the theatre multiple times. After several ideas were tossed about (which included bouncing styrofoam faux "debris" over audience members' heads), Universal's sound department came up with a process called "Sensurround" – a series of large speakers made by Cerwin-Vega powered by BGW amplifiers, that would pump in sub-audible "infra bass" sound waves at 120 decibels (equivalent to a jet airplane at takeoff), giving the viewer the sensation of an earthquake. The process was tested in several theatres around the United States prior to the film's release, yielding various results. A famous example is Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California, where the "Sensurround" cracked the plaster in the ceiling. The same theatre premiered Earthquake three months later – with a newly installed net over the audience to catch any falling debris – to tremendous success."
I don't know about you boys but I remember seeing this one in the theater. I was only 10 years old and my teenage aunt took me to see it. It was indeed a spectacle. The rumble was really cool. I don't remember jack about the movie but I do remember feeling that earthquake. Seems like there was at least one other film that used that effect around that time but I don't remember what it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1371 Old 01-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^^^^^Perhaps one of these movies below....they all used the same "sensurround" technology used for Earthquake according to Wikipedia.

"Sensurround was used again for the films Midway (1976), Rollercoaster (1977) and Battlestar Galactica (1979)"
post #1325 of 1371 Old 01-09-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 3310 Post(s)
Liked: 2412
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
... A famous example is Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California, where the "Sensurround" cracked the plaster in the ceiling. The same theatre premiered Earthquake three months later – with a newly installed net over the audience to catch any falling debris – to tremendous success."
I was living in SoCal back in 1974 and remember all the hoopla about Sensurround catching my attention so I actually went to Grauman's Chinese Theater for the premier. I remember thinking the net over the audience was weird and that it was some kind of gimmick. Never realized before reading this that it actually cracked the plaster in the ceiling. When the earthquake hit on screen it was quite a gut-wrenching experience. But after having lived through several real SoCal earthquakes it probably didn't have as much impact on me as it did to those who never experienced a real one. It's hard to replicate the feel of the earth moving back and forth under your feet like a bowl of Jell-O. However, I do give it credit for sparking my interest in subwoofers.
trhought and jeremiahsyoung like this.
post #1326 of 1371 Old 01-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Well I have access to 8 JBL cx1200s still in the box. I was thinking of picking up 2 more.

But I've been reading about isobaric subwoofers. I'm curious how two of these would do if wired to 2ohm in isobaric cone to magnet setup. Just for a sub for my room or something.

We've looked at sealed and ported, isobaric has me curious.
EndersShadow likes this.
post #1327 of 1371 Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Semi Related..... picked up a new pair of amps for these..... They need some work so we will see if it turns out to be as good a bargain as I hope. Got them for such a cheap price, even if I can't fix them, I can part em out and break even.......

I know its a gamble that these will work better than the SoundStream DA-2's (which turn on and work), but my hope is that they will provide a bit impact below 20hz.....

Depending on how it works out, I will either use them on the Front 2 subs (each channel running one of the DO subs), or bridged running the two rear boxes, bridged.

Plus I have learned those soundstream amps get HOT because they are totally passive. These with their two fans shouldn't get as bad.

I do plan to try and mod the fans for Noctua's once I get them up a running

Pics and amp specs below...

They arrive at work on Monday, so I will post some better pics of the actual units then.... but I'm excited....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baf59ca1-1277-498d-99d4-b26437868abd.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2509988   Click image for larger version

Name:	MQ-600 internal.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2509992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Specs.png
Views:	72
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2509994  

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Last edited by EndersShadow; 01-12-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #1328 of 1371 Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Well I have access to 8 JBL cx1200s still in the box. I was thinking of picking up 2 more.

But I've been reading about isobaric subwoofers. I'm curious how two of these would do if wired to 2ohm in isobaric cone to magnet setup. Just for a sub for my room or something.

We've looked at sealed and ported, isobaric has me curious.

I think isobaric is kind of obsolete nowadays, subwoofer drivers are made better than they used to be when isobaric was an option. I modeled these JBL's in an isobaric enclosure and couldn't really find any benefit, just a loss in SPL.

That's just IMHO, YMMV, etc etc. Someone with more experience is welcome to chime in.

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
post #1329 of 1371 Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I recently made a post here http://01966633.com/forum/113-s...l#post57426860 and was pointed to this direction by one of the active forum member. Read first page and glancing through but not 100% sure what this whole thread is about? Name clearly doesn't reflect its purpose.
Is it about using multiple 12" drivers in a box to get super punchy mid-bass? My post talks about how I was amazed with the super punchy and impactful bass this Genisis G70 car had. I posted it Mid-bass forum was directed here.
Can someone please explain what this whole thread is about?
post #1330 of 1371 Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
For example, it's about using multiple very cheap 12"JBL drivers to outperform what an Ultimax 18 can do, when using 4 of the 12s for example. In addition to outperforming the um18 down deep, four of them also deliver more mid bass.

With four cs1214s running around $120, you can see the value compared to a UM18 which currently sells for $325.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
lknhomeaudio likes this.
post #1331 of 1371 Old 01-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Yup, 4 of these in a single enclosure, around 1.5 to 2 cuft, with a dsp amplifier or mini dsp, is what it's about lol. If you've heard of the vbss its similar, it simply will not work without dsp and 4 drivers minimum. I'm very happy and have zero regrets going with this setup, the first DIY subwoofer I built blew my mind, but these can blow your mind as well has get dialed in to have amazing sound quality and you get the benefits that 8 subwoofers have over one or even 2. All for cheap.
post #1332 of 1371 Old 01-13-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
I recently made a post here http://01966633.com/forum/113-s...l#post57426860 and was pointed to this direction by one of the active forum member. Read first page and glancing through but not 100% sure what this whole thread is about? Name clearly doesn't reflect its purpose.
Is it about using multiple 12" drivers in a box to get super punchy mid-bass? My post talks about how I was amazed with the super punchy and impactful bass this Genisis G70 car had. I posted it Mid-bass forum was directed here.
Can someone please explain what this whole thread is about?
As the previous couple of guys have stated, it's about these inexpensive JBL 12" sub drivers to use in home cinema / home theater subwoofers (not in a car). You need multiples of them, but they are cheap. I'm currently working on boxes for 8 of them.
post #1333 of 1371 Old 01-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have 8 upfront connected to a Inuke 6000dsp and am sitting about 7 feet from the speakers. My 6 year old and I were watching Maze Runner and he asked "are the chairs supposed to be vibrating?" So much bass throughout that movie. Just a big ass grin on my face through the whole movie as the bass hit.
Pradeep2 likes this.
post #1334 of 1371 Old 01-13-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know if there are build threads with these subs specifically? I'm very new to home theater, and I'm trying to make a financially efficient subwoofer. I was going to do a sonotube, but these inexpensive drivers make more sense to me. I just purchased two off Amazon Warehouse for 66 dollars. Hopefully they aren't actually damaged.

I tried the sonicelectronix site, but the loyalty code wasn't working.

I'm down to do a build with 4 or even 8 of these if it makes sense. Really just looking to go around 20hz (or whatever is most cost effective) for movies and games in my basement.
post #1335 of 1371 Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
For example, it's about using multiple very cheap 12"JBL drivers to outperform what an Ultimax 18 can do, when using 4 of the 12s for example. In addition to outperforming the um18 down deep, four of them also deliver more mid bass.

With four cs1214s running around $120, you can see the value compared to a UM18 which currently sells for $325.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
FYI: I"m not using UM18. I"m using UXL18 and they generally go for 750.00 / driver. I have seen some selling on AVS for 500. I got mine though for 450 both . It was just an amazing deal. But, I do see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Yup, 4 of these in a single enclosure, around 1.5 to 2 cuft, with a dsp amplifier or mini dsp, is what it's about lol. If you've heard of the vbss its similar, it simply will not work without dsp and 4 drivers minimum. I'm very happy and have zero regrets going with this setup, the first DIY subwoofer I built blew my mind, but these can blow your mind as well has get dialed in to have amazing sound quality and you get the benefits that 8 subwoofers have over one or even 2. All for cheap.
As for dsp, I have minidsp/Inuke. I prefer minidsp though. I also use MSO (sometimes) and then finally Dirac to calibrate my system. I'm quiet familiar with dsp and use REW on almost daily basis . Honestly my UXL18 in Mini Marty are not bad at all. They sound very good but I doubt it that 1 18" UXL driver will match 4 of these in Mid-Bass region in terms of chest impact. Low bass though with these drivers, I have no complain at all. Mid-bass for movies, I think they do fine but might like a bit more and I'm sure that these ones will shine in that region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
As the previous couple of guys have stated, it's about these inexpensive JBL 12" sub drivers to use in home cinema / home theater subwoofers (not in a car). You need multiples of them, but they are cheap. I'm currently working on boxes for 8 of them.
Thread Link? I might go for them as well. I recently built a 15" sub for NF and it was designed to be tilted to fit nicely behind a recliner. I was able to do it all from scratch and got decent resluts. Made some mistakes on my way to build it but nothing drastic. So building these won't be as big of a challenge I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post
I have 8 upfront connected to a Inuke 6000dsp and am sitting about 7 feet from the speakers. My 6 year old and I were watching Maze Runner and he asked "are the chairs supposed to be vibrating?" So much bass throughout that movie. Just a big ass grin on my face through the whole movie as the bass hit.
I have 2 Mini Marty and they both are ~45" away from MLP. With 10dB of boost, no one in my HT will ask if the seats are vibrating. Its more than that. Ported 18" Mini Marty are no joke when it comes to Low bass impact. My hair on my head jump when I demo heavy bass movies. Its next step to seat shaking I guess. I have a picture hanging on the outside wall of back wall. That picture falls every time. I have 2x4 acoustic panels hanging on the side walls and sometimes they fall off if I go up to 13dB. All that with 10-13dB of bass. And here is the funny part. The low frequency (below 30Hz) is bad in my room. I have to boost it to get a bit more there. I'm no where close to flat below 20Hz but imagine if I was . So when it comes to shaking, I have to control it. If I go up to 15db, things get very scary. Seat starts feeling like its getting waves if that makes any sense. I start feeling weird in my stomach. Watching WOTW/The Howk/A Quiet Place/Tron gets me every time and that's with 10-12dB. I demo these movies only when wife is not home . I wanted to see how much it shakes with 10dB. I played the scene in my HT (fully sealed room in basement) and walked up to the 1st floor. Everything was shaking/rattling. Doors shake like someone is holding the knob and shaking it while its locked. Even on 2nd floor, the frames on wall shake errrrrr.
Now I'm not saying that having 4 12" drivers won't deliver that much. May be they will but when it comes to low bass, Mini Marty Ported are no joke specially when you pair it with a good driver like UXL18.

Here is the FR in my room just to show what my system looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C only vs c with Sub.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2510458  

Last edited by harrisu; 01-13-2019 at 09:56 PM.
post #1336 of 1371 Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 1649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Walton View Post
Anyone know if there are build threads with these subs specifically? I'm very new to home theater, and I'm trying to make a financially efficient subwoofer.
A pair in one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Q-POWER-Seale...+power+dual+12
multiplied by as many as you want,