Forum Jump: 
 180Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 234 Old 10-27-2016, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
the avs editor keeps wanting to kill my all caps, so let me try to say what i want this way...

Thanks! I owe it to for proposing the setup!
cuzed2 likes this.
ddigler is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 234 Old 10-27-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kevings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 495
LOL! Damn DDigler...you went from this to this! EXTREME upgrades are the BEST!!



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1738761   Click image for larger version

Name:	nuclear-missile.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	1738769  
LTD02, 1st Cav and wlhungdude like this.
kevings is online now  
post #213 of 234 Old 10-27-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VicTorious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post

...the new setup does sound a bit nicer
Ha. Understatement of the year I'm sure.
VicTorious1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #214 of 234 Old 10-27-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OJ Bartley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,005
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 472
ddigler, what an amazing front stage!! I'm truly envious of your setup. The rest of the build is looking good too, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
OJ Bartley is offline  
post #215 of 234 Old 10-27-2016, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
LOL! Damn DDigler...you went from this to this! EXTREME upgrades are the BEST!!
Lol Kevings; agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post

...the new setup does sound a bit nicer
Ha. Understatement of the year I'm sure.
ddigler is online now  
post #216 of 234 Old 10-27-2016, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
ddigler, what an amazing front stage!! I'm truly envious of your setup. The rest of the build is looking good too, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
Hey Bartley thanks! Don't be envious I have a long way to go and there are Theaters on here that make mine look silly.

I believe it's a fun hobby and a great Community here on the forums regardless of the differences in the rooms/equipment!
ddigler is online now  
post #217 of 234 Old 10-28-2016, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wlhungdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Very nicely played @ddigler .

I tip my (imaginary) hat to you, sir. It looks great, and I'm sure sounds even better. Nicely played, indeed.

Joseph

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
wlhungdude is offline  
post #218 of 234 Old 10-29-2016, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post
Very nicely played @ddigler .

I tip my (imaginary) hat to you, sir. It looks great, and I'm sure sounds even better. Nicely played, indeed.

Joseph
You've been around from the beginning Joseph. Thanks for hanging in!

No Doubt, think it's turning out well!
ddigler is online now  
post #219 of 234 Old 10-29-2016, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wlhungdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Thank you, for keeping this ride going ! I've thoroughly enjoyed the progression, in you, and your system.

This is an amazing forum, and I'm just trying to keep it going, from the great support, encouragement, and sharing of knowledge I received here. More than I could ever give back, but I'm trying.

Your build, system, room, and open-ness (sp ?) has been great, and so are the results. If I didn't say it before, welcome to AVS. Great to have you here !!

Joseph

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
wlhungdude is offline  
post #220 of 234 Old 10-30-2016, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post
Thank you, for keeping this ride going ! I've thoroughly enjoyed the progression, in you, and your system.

This is an amazing forum, and I'm just trying to keep it going, from the great support, encouragement, and sharing of knowledge I received here. More than I could ever give back, but I'm trying.

Your build, system, room, and open-ness (sp ?) has been great, and so are the results. If I didn't say it before, welcome to AVS. Great to have you here !!

Joseph
Well it's great to be here! You and at least 20 others have been so incredibly instrumental with the data that you have passed on to me that I have committed to myself that once my build is complete I too will be coming around regularly to help others!

What makes the hobby great is the IMO.
ddigler is online now  
post #221 of 234 Old 04-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wichita,Ks
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Yes! I looked back and LTD had me use the -1 and +1 for the connections within the enclosures thanks Joseph.


done thanks John




your narrative was clear but thanks John I need something fun to do (the room has been a mixed bag hehe) whereas this stuff has always been enjoyable. Pics forthcoming!
What size/brand/type speaker wire did you use for your subs, and how did you get them all in 1 Speakon connector for the parallel connection to your subs? I plan on doing almost the same front speaker setup as yours!
Thanks
nxs450 is offline  
post #222 of 234 Old 04-28-2017, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
What size/brand/type speaker wire did you use for your subs, and how did you get them all in 1 Speakon connector for the parallel connection to your subs? I plan on doing almost the same front speaker setup as yours!
Thanks
Hey NXS, sorry for the late response.

I used this wire. Regarding the connections see this post.

Good luck! You will love them!
ddigler is online now  
post #223 of 234 Old 04-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wichita,Ks
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Hey NXS, sorry for the late response.

I used this wire. Regarding the connections see this post.

Good luck! You will love them!
I don't have as much room as you do, so I am working with LTD02 on a new design. He is a great guy!
ddigler and bebb like this.
nxs450 is offline  
post #224 of 234 Old 04-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wichita,Ks
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Hey NXS, sorry for the late response.

I used this wire. Regarding the connections see this post.

Good luck! You will love them!
So how did you actually connect the wire to the SpeakOn connectors? Because you ran them parallel you had to fit more then one set of wires in a single SpeakOn connector, or connected them in a 3-way Y.
Did you use this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speakon-Spli...gAAOSwLEtYme5v

Last edited by nxs450; 04-29-2017 at 11:45 AM.
nxs450 is offline  
post #225 of 234 Old 04-30-2017, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 21,094
Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
So how did you actually connect the wire to the SpeakOn connectors? Because you ran them parallel you had to fit more then one set of wires in a single SpeakOn connector, or connected them in a 3-way Y.
Did you use this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speakon-Spli...gAAOSwLEtYme5v

if you want to keep costs down:


http://01966633.com/forum/155-di...r-speakon.html


just try to keep the split close to the amp. damping factor can get borderline if using long wire runs from the amp to the subs and then split near the subs.


also, keep an eye on whether the drivers will be wired in series or parallel. i think your rig were going to be in series while ddigler's are in parallel.
ddigler likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #226 of 234 Old 04-30-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 6,704
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
So how did you actually connect the wire to the SpeakOn connectors? Because you ran them parallel you had to fit more then one set of wires in a single SpeakOn connector, or connected them in a 3-way Y.
Did you use this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speakon-Spli...gAAOSwLEtYme5v
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
if you want to keep costs down:


http://01966633.com/forum/155-di...r-speakon.html


just try to keep the split close to the amp. damping factor can get borderline if using long wire runs from the amp to the subs and then split near the subs.


also, keep an eye on whether the drivers will be wired in series or parallel. i think your rig were going to be in series while ddigler's are in parallel.
for my VBSS setup I used these binding posts and just daisy chained them.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ckel--091-1247
LTD02 and ddigler like this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 pair
KEF LS-50 Anniversary Edition
brian6751 is offline  
post #227 of 234 Old 04-30-2017, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wichita,Ks
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
if you want to keep costs down:


http://01966633.com/forum/155-di...r-speakon.html


just try to keep the split close to the amp. damping factor can get borderline if using long wire runs from the amp to the subs and then split near the subs.


also, keep an eye on whether the drivers will be wired in series or parallel. i think your rig were going to be in series while ddigler's are in parallel.
Yeah your right. I don't know why I was thinking parallel. You designed it to be connected in series. So should I run 4-pairs of wires from amp to sub locations, or do series connection at sub location? Oh and I will be staying with the 460HO subs!
ddigler likes this.
nxs450 is offline  
post #228 of 234 Old 04-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Member
 
j.d.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
LTD, nice one going for more less costly drivers instead of less costly drivers . This is the way to make it easier on the drivers and the amps and should be comparable in result (I expect better).

2 thumbs up for LTD


Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
it was asked how this system would compare to some of the other drivers mention.


1w response of a handful of systems (at prices on p.e. at the moment)


6 x pa460 (red) $540
3 x pa465 (green) $660
2 x um18 (black) $558
2 x 460ho (blue) $524

all in the same cabs ~11cf tuned to ~17.5hz. i don't like the way the pa465 (green) is modeling, but ymmv.




max output at the usable excursion of the pa460, um18 (the um may have a hair more excursion left, but it is power limited at 2kw), 460ho, and xmax for the 465 (I've not seen this driver measured physically so i don't know how xmax was calculated).

anyway, the pa460 system gets away with a 3000dsp
the 460ho and um18 would need to step up to the 6000dsp or a pair of bridged 3000dsp if you want remote turn on and no thump without doing the internal relay mod to the 6000.


cuzed2 and ddigler like this.
j.d. is offline  
post #229 of 234 Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
I don't have as much room as you do, so I am working with LTD02 on a new design. He is a great guy!
Glad you got it sorted NXS - yes, @LTD02 is the man. Building the subs and going through that process was one of my fav parts of the whole thing.
LTD02 likes this.
ddigler is online now  
post #230 of 234 Old 05-03-2017, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 21,094
Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 3521
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxs450 View Post
Yeah your right. I don't know why I was thinking parallel. You designed it to be connected in series. So should I run 4-pairs of wires from amp to sub locations, or do series connection at sub location? Oh and I will be staying with the 460HO subs!

I'm not sure what I was thinking, for series wired subs, the Y would need to be down toward the subwoofer location itself. In this case, just double up the wire so each long leg heading down toward the subs is extra heavy gauge.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #231 of 234 Old 01-04-2019, 05:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Norway
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Awesome thread and build ddiggler!

I'll build four for my theater!
ddigler likes this.

System: Pioneer LX901, Nvidia Shield, Xbox One X
Speakers: 3 x B215XL, 8xB212XL, 1xAlto TS218, (DIY build underway Rexus and VBSS build)
MiniDSP2x4 revB, UMIK-1, Sony HW40ES, Dreamscreen V5 Ultraframe D65 100"
nomjolnir is offline  
post #232 of 234 Old 01-09-2019, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomjolnir View Post
Awesome thread and build ddiggler!

I'll build four for my theater!
Good luck to you Nom! You putting together a build thread currently?
ddigler is online now  
post #233 of 234 Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Norway
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
Good luck to you Nom! You putting together a build thread currently?
Hey ddigler,

Indeed, here it is: http://01966633.com/forum/155-d...l#post57397706

Based on your thread I'm stoked to build these!

Tried to @ you in original post but not sure if it works? I'm new to posting in this forum...
ddigler likes this.

System: Pioneer LX901, Nvidia Shield, Xbox One X
Speakers: 3 x B215XL, 8xB212XL, 1xAlto TS218, (DIY build underway Rexus and VBSS build)
MiniDSP2x4 revB, UMIK-1, Sony HW40ES, Dreamscreen V5 Ultraframe D65 100"
nomjolnir is offline  
post #234 of 234 Old 01-09-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddigler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomjolnir View Post
Hey ddigler,

Indeed, here it is: http://01966633.com/forum/155-d...l#post57397706

Based on your thread I'm stoked to build these!

Tried to @ you in original post but not sure if it works? I'm new to posting in this forum...
You'll love it. Good luck to you on your build.
ddigler is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off