Forum Jump: 
 168Likes

post #181 of 182 Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
I would leave the polarity of the right subwoofer inverted if it gives you the better result. Are they two different makes of subwoofers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 182 Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
I would leave the polarity of the right subwoofer inverted if it gives you the better result. Are they two different makes of subwoofers?
The two subs are SVS SB12-NSD ( sealed subs). Physically the only difference is that one is finished in wood and the other has the Piano black finish. However, the location of each sub is different, since they are located almost across from each other on opposite walls. The woofer on each sub is facing the back of the room.

After my last post, I remeasured both at the central location and the MLP and looked at the impulse graphs as overlays. I noticed that although the two were now in phase (with the right sub polarity inverted), the impulse graph of the left sub came on slightly earlier. So I added a little delay at a time and remeasured, and now with a 1.12ms Delay of the Left sub, the initial peak in the impulse lined up better. Assuming that this is indicative of the time alignment, I remeasured and the combined graph seems to have improved both at the MLP and the Central position.

Now I will use these settings (Right Sub polarity inverted, and Left sub Delay at 1.12) to measure at the other seats of the front and back rows to see what it looks like there. If all goes well, I will then run the MCACC PRO Calibration of the AVR, and then begin to align the subs and mains.

*** Question for those who saw the graphs on my previous post, is the peak around 60hz area something that I should try to tame with EQ first? or should I just let the Auto EQ deal with it?

HT Room:18'x13'x7.5' with 2 rows of seating. Nvidia Shield (2017), SONY UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player.
Elite Screens Edge Free Aeon Series 100 inch Cinewhite Screen & Epson 5040UB Projector.
Pioneer SC-99 & Audiosource AD1002 for Atmos & DTS:X 7.2.4
Andrew Jones Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 Mains, SP-EC73 Center, SP-EBS73-LR Rear Surrounds, SP-BS41-LR Side Surrounds & Dual SVS SB12-NSD Subs with MiniDSP 2x4 Tuned with REW and MSO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs