Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 402 Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 22,197
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

However, the baffle was an extremely tight fit, I had to force it nervously in. Looks good now though.

Something I do on dados is to break the corners, or put a small roundover on, the edges of the piece going into the groove.

That makes starting it easier, and if you put glue in the groove, reduces the tendency for to all be scraped off.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23,709
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10363 Post(s)
Liked: 8006
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

I bought Erich's boxes and baffles and everything was a tight fit. I used a couple pieces of MDF to help prevent bowing on mine. Even with his braces, if I clamped hard they'd bow the rib style braces, so this helped prevent that. However, the baffle was an extremely tight fit, I had to force it nervously in. Looks good now though. Pics maybe by Friday.

Install the inner front baffle after installing one side and one end. That way it goes on easy and it helps to hold everything square. Last piece can then be the front baffle clamped to the whole box.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://01966633.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #153 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 182
OP- have you decided anything on the subwoofers? To answer your question, I fed the subs+mains a full range signal. I believe that my Denon AVR had them set to 40hz, IIRC. They sounded great! It gave me a really nice sence of depth and added "weight" to the sound on movies. I wish that I still had those subs but unfortunately they were not all mine and I had to give them back to my buddy that loaned them to me. Right now I am having Dave at Ascend Acoustics modify my Sierra-1's to now have a RAAL ribbon tweeter in place of the domes. I have been kicking around the idea of building some mid-bass enclosures to do the same configuration that I discussed earlier. I can't decide between a trio of JBL2225's (or 2226's), or possibly a trio of Dayton HO15's or Dayton DVC15's. Decisions decisions! I am also in the process of building some high effeciency mains, and just finished my DIY subs not even 3 weeks ago. I have been busy! LoL!
Martycool007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CO & NZ
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Install the inner front baffle after installing one side and one end. That way it goes on easy and it helps to hold everything square. Last piece can then be the front baffle clamped to the whole box.

D'oh! Too late now and they're all together etc, but for my next 5 speakers I'll do that. They'll be daniels.
pgwalsh is offline  
post #155 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

OP- have you decided anything on the subwoofers? To answer your question, I fed the subs+mains a full range signal. I believe that my Denon AVR had them set to 40hz, IIRC. They sounded great! It gave me a really nice sence of depth and added "weight" to the sound on movies. I wish that I still had those subs but unfortunately they were not all mine and I had to give them back to my buddy that loaned them to me. Right now I am having Dave at Ascend Acoustics modify my Sierra-1's to now have a RAAL ribbon tweeter in place of the domes. I have been kicking around the idea of building some mid-bass enclosures to do the same configuration that I discussed earlier. I can't decide between a trio of JBL2225's (or 2226's), or possibly a trio of Dayton HO15's or Dayton DVC15's. Decisions decisions! I am also in the process of building some high effeciency mains, and just finished my DIY subs not even 3 weeks ago. I have been busy! LoL!

I sure did. I am going to proceed as planned with the SEOS LCR's and the single Titanic 15" until I can build the 18"s and add them in. Even now when I listen to music I listen in 5 or 7 channel stereo.
filtor1 is offline  
post #156 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I need to figure out how to perform some of these cuts you all use. Maybe after these LCR's are done I will sit down and use some of the scrap I have laying around and practice. Might be time for a better table saw too.
filtor1 is offline  
post #157 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I had to take yesterday off. Got enough done today to feel like I made up for it. All braces and the baffle are glued. I will knock down the edges tomorrow and see if I can make some noise with this one.

filtor1 is offline  
post #158 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Sibuna is offline  
post #159 of 402 Old 06-12-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

nice progress

also we have the same clamps

Thanks! Slowly but surely. I just realized I never ordered any of the hardware or gasket tape. :/

I could use 6 more. biggrin.gif They have always treated me well. Occasionally the little orange feet slide off if the bar isn't aligned, but that isn't bad for me.
filtor1 is offline  
post #160 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CO & NZ
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Thanks! Slowly but surely. I just realized I never ordered any of the hardware or gasket tape. :/

I could use 6 more. biggrin.gif They have always treated me well. Occasionally the little orange feet slide off if the bar isn't aligned, but that isn't bad for me.
I just use the tape form home depot. Never had any problems with it. Are you going to use the gasket on the TD12M and tape? I wasn't, but not sure if it's necessary or not.
pgwalsh is offline  
post #161 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

I just use the tape form home depot. Never had any problems with it. Are you going to use the gasket on the TD12M and tape? I wasn't, but not sure if it's necessary or not.

I will make a run there tonight. This is just for the wg. I went to Lowe's today because they had a killer deal on topsoil and I checked their screw selection. Nothing in black at all. I will also check HD for screws when I am there. I may have to end up painting the heads. Not a huge deal.
filtor1 is offline  
post #162 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CO & NZ
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 407
are you using hurricane bolts or just regular screws?
pgwalsh is offline  
post #163 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23,709
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10363 Post(s)
Liked: 8006
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

are you using hurricane bolts or just regular screws?

I like Hurricane nuts, but you have to be accurate when installing them. No room for adjustment. I also place a little bit of Gorilla glue on them to make sure they do not spin out. I used them for my SEOS-12, TD12M and for both terminal cups on the back. One terminal cup for passive and a second one for active connection.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://01966633.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #164 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CO & NZ
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 407
I used them on my a pair of Statements I build for a friend and thought I was careful enough but had a few issues with spinning. So for this project I'm not using them. I think they work a lot better in wood than MDF. I did use the bolt tightening method and gorilla glue, but still had some issues. Could have been that I tightened them too much. Was a real pita to drill them out.
pgwalsh is offline  
post #165 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I plan on just using screws. I have never had great luck with the hurricane nuts. One inevitably spins. I have always used drywall screws with wood glue on my subs and never had one back out. I am hoping these screws will do the same.
filtor1 is offline  
post #166 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,630
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

I plan on just using screws. I have never had great luck with the hurricane nuts. One inevitably spins. I have always used drywall screws with wood glue on my subs and never had one back out. I am hoping these screws will do the same.

I'm with you there. I haven't even gone as far as the wood glue route. Just sink em and forget them. smile.gif
filtor1 likes this.

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
bass addict is offline  
post #167 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
No idea how I managed this, but I am so close to finishing the first one.

Still need to predrill screw holes and deal with making the terminal.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bracing:





and this big sexy speaker waiting for drivers:

filtor1 is offline  
post #168 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 6,704
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Looks great!!

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 pair
KEF LS-50 Anniversary Edition
brian6751 is offline  
post #169 of 402 Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,630
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Looks great!!

Agreed; that is looking fantastic. smile.gif

The purpose of listening shouldn't be to respond as much as it should be to understand.
bass addict is offline  
post #170 of 402 Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Well, I wasn't happy with the finish on the hardware available at the big box stores for what I want. I am going to put in the order with PE and wait to finalize this one.
filtor1 is offline  
post #171 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
I got one hell of a father's day present. A little time to work. smile.gif



Bottom, side, and back glued in. Driver and waveguide cut outs copied to the second baffle. Speaker #2 is coming right along. The first one keeping a close eye on its progress. biggrin.gif
filtor1 is offline  
post #172 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CO & NZ
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Progress looks good filtor1. It'll be all done by tomorrow, right. :P

I'd be done with mine today, but I'm being told to work on wife's project. :|
pgwalsh is offline  
post #173 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Progress looks good filtor1. It'll be all done by tomorrow, right. :P

I'd be done with mine today, but I'm being told to work on wife's project. :|

Hahahaha! I am hoping by tomorrow this one will be in the books, although raw mdf, and I will only have one more to go. My goal was to have them up and running my tomorrow, but no dice. I have to wait on the hardware in any case. Only a week off of my projection. Not too shabby. smile.gif

Have fun on your project. They will be done before you know it.

Chris
filtor1 is offline  
post #174 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
On a roll today. Got the ports cut/routered. Side #2 glued. Double baffle is curing right now. smile.gif



Edit: I am going to try out one of the crossovers to test it. Looks like if things keep going my way I will be able to listen to this pair when the hardware gets here. biggrin.gif
filtor1 is offline  
post #175 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 469
nice nice

also you may be the only person on here ive seen use more clamps than i do biggrin.gif
Sibuna is offline  
post #176 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

nice nice

also you may be the only person on here ive seen use more clamps than i do biggrin.gif

The sad part is I have already added two to the collection and if I had more, I would use them. biggrin.gif
filtor1 is offline  
post #177 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CO & NZ
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 407
k.. Here's my progress with photo's. Still working on some, but first one is done. Needs to be cleaned-up a bit.







Still working on the others. I added 3/4 inch to Erich's boxes on the sides in order to do the round over and have a little room. I probably could have used half inch. Two speakers need a second layer of clear coat and the others need veneer, but no rush since they wont be used for a while (short on veneer). This was the first time I used 10mil veneer and there's pluses and minuses. On the plus side, 10mil wraps around the rounded edges nicely and is easier to cut. On the minus, I found that I had a few bubbles that were very small and I didn't have that issue when I used 20mil on the Statements, which are much larger. I veneered them with glue and hot iron. I used gel stain for the first time and I'm not comfortable with it. I think wipe-on stain is simpler to use. The important thing is my wife likes them. Some pictures are MIA.
pgwalsh is offline  
post #178 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
filtor1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Wow pg, those look killer! I am digging the red a lot.
filtor1 is offline  
post #179 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pgwalsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CO & NZ
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

Wow pg, those look killer! I am digging the red a lot.
Thanks! It's Gregorian Cherry Gel Stain. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2005555/16538/general-finishes-georgian-cherry-gel-stain-pint.aspx

I'll need to take some better pictures.
pgwalsh is offline  
post #180 of 402 Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23,709
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10363 Post(s)
Liked: 8006
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

k.. Here's my progress with photo's. Still working on some, but first one is done. Needs to be cleaned-up a bit.







Still working on the others. I added 3/4 inch to Erich's boxes on the sides in order to do the round over and have a little room. I probably could have used half inch. Two speakers need a second layer of clear coat and the others need veneer, but no rush since they wont be used for a while (short on veneer). This was the first time I used 10mil veneer and there's pluses and minuses. On the plus side, 10mil wraps around the rounded edges nicely and is easier to cut. On the minus, I found that I had a few bubbles that were very small and I didn't have that issue when I used 20mil on the Statements, which are much larger. I veneered them with glue and hot iron. I used gel stain for the first time and I'm not comfortable with it. I think wipe-on stain is simpler to use. The important thing is my wife likes them. Some pictures are MIA.

You did a nice job on those. Much better than going with the black front baffle that I suggested. smile.gif

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://01966633.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off